Mountain Project Logo

Backcountry Espresso, any Ideas?

Original Post
Alex Vaught · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 60

Sometimes I feel like if I had a way to make a few good shots of espresso on a cold morning in the backcountry I could really get shit done. Problem is I don't know a good method of making one of the greatest substances in the world, ESPRESSO, without piggybacking a young, attractive barista to the said backcountry location. Anyone have any good ideas? Ideally, it would be some kind of compact, light weight set up that would work with a pocket rocket style stove. Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
-Ralph, Steel Dragon Dude

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,083

ralph, chanvan suggested an 'aerobie' in my thread. looks like it might be the ticket.

Crag Dweller · · New York, NY · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Ralph Steel Dragon Dude wrote:...Problem is I don't know a good method of making one of the greatest substances in the world, ESPRESSO, without piggybacking a young, attractive barista to the said backcountry location...

So, what's the problem? Seems like you have it figured out to me.

camhead · · Vandalia, Appalachia · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,240

I've never had espresso while camping; just strong drip has always been my tactic. But I've seen plenty of these kind of things around:

rei.com/product/401040/gsi-…

Will S · · Joshua Tree · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,061

Make it ahead of time, or take one of those canned double shots.

Or just take a couple Vivarin and wash it down with a few choc covered espresso beans. No stove, no cook time, no mess.

EDIT: I have that one camhead linked above, in a stainless version. It makes a passable cup, but if you're particular about espresso, it's not REALLY espresso. It's more something in between perc'd coffee and 'spro.

RandyR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 40

How about a Moka pot? It's not quite espresso because the steam pressure is lower, but it's the same concept.

Jeremy Espinoza · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 80

The Aerobie will do a lot better job than the GSI because you can actually get some decent pressure.

The handpresso is an even better way to go, but will set you back about $100.

amazon.com/dp/B0013UEFHA/re…;tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0013UEFHA

joe caps · · Pasadena · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

for some reason these are impossible to find these days. but they are way simpler and better than anything else i've seen.

slidewright.com/planetary-d…

not expresso but french press is the next best thing.

Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,041

My Aeropress review here on MP has some good responses and ideas.

coldfinger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 55
Ralph Steel Dragon Dude wrote:Sometimes I feel like if I had a way to make a few good shots of espresso on a cold morning in the backcountry I could really get shit done. Problem is I don't know a good method of making one of the greatest substances in the world, ESPRESSO, without piggybacking a young, attractive barista to the said backcountry location. Anyone have any good ideas? Ideally, it would be some kind of compact, light weight set up that would work with a pocket rocket style stove. Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks! -Ralph, Steel Dragon Dude

It's called TEA, you'll get some hydration value out of that also.....

Otherwise just get one of those MSR filter baskets and overload the thing with grounds, not too much water and stir and let it sit.

I like those Clif espresso shots also.

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926
camhead wrote:I've never had espresso while camping; just strong drip has always been my tactic. But I've seen plenty of these kind of things around: rei.com/product/401040/gsi-…

Yeah, that is just a variation on the standard Bialetti Moka Pot ( bialettishop.com/MokaExpres…). Its not technically espresso, but it is about as close as you are going to get. The only other product I have seen that might do better (I have never tried it) is the following:

camping-gear-outlet.com/cam…

My guess is that this thing still won't make the kind of espresso that I can make at home using my snotty douchebag espresso machine, but perhaps it will make a better cup than the Moka pot. Post up if you give a try!!

Andrew Shoemaker · · Olympia, WA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 265

A good ole cup of straight Robusta drip will have more or close to the same caffeine content as 4oz of espresso. Espresso is not a type of bean its the way they are roasted and during the roasting process caffeine content is broken down. So, I would just stick with making drip in th bc...keeps things simple.

T. William · · Avon · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 80

my young attractive barista just brings me home those little VIA packets. boil up some water and use just enough to dilute the mix, a couple of those and you'll be good to go!

Alex Vaught · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 60

Lots of great I deas to consider, thanks everyone! And yes, I do understand the difference between drip coffee and espresso, but I am open to both. The reason I was thinking espresso is a better alternative is because I have a hard time finishing a large cup of coffee when I'm trying to get a move on.

Ross Keller · · Parker, CO · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 190
thecornyman · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 140

I don't drink espresso, but I swear by the single cup drip cones:
rei.com/product/401153/one-…;mr:trackingCode=07C81FBC-B849-E011-AFD7-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA&{copy:s_kwcid}=&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=9960887045&mr:keyword={keyword}&gclid=CPXJgqTejK4CFcUZQgodHwjffw
I have a plastic one for camping and a ceramic one for home.

kirra · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 530

I recommend stainless Steel vs. aluminum for steam toys and have settled on this model available at IKEA $19.99 -a bit large for lite-backpacking but works great on a tailgate w/a pocket rocket -rock'on steel dragondude



ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/prod…
TJ Esposito · · San Diego, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 110

I rotate between a stovetop Bialeti Moka, a drip Braun that makes pretty good coffee, Aeropress, and French press, but when camping I always have enough cans of Starbucks DoubleShot Energy for at least one a morning. Even when it's cold out I like having a cold mix of sugar, caffeine, and fat to kick-start a day of climbing.

I like to spend as little time as possible eating/drinking when I get up; waiting for water to heat up is awful.

Also good at the Java Juice packets, try them if you come across them.

Haggle · · UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 5

www.handpresso.com

:)

MTN MIA · · Vail · Joined May 2006 · Points: 435
kirra wrote:I recommend stainless Steel vs. aluminum for steam toys and have settled on this model available at IKEA $19.99 -a bit large for lite-backpacking but works great on a tailgate w/a pocket rocket -rock'on steel dragondude ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/prod…

This is worth the weight!!!

MTN MIA · · Vail · Joined May 2006 · Points: 435
Dailey wrote:my young attractive barista just brings me home those little VIA packets. boil up some water and use just enough to dilute the mix, a couple of those and you'll be good to go!

You are such a lucky guy....... how is the leg by the way?????

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Backcountry Espresso, any Ideas?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.