Pinnacle Ridge Rock Climbing
|GPS:||36.574, -118.281 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||1,234 total · 29/month|
|Shared By:||kenr on Aug 15, 2014|
|Admins:||Chris Owen, M. Morley, Adam Stackhouse, Salamanizer suchoski, Justin Johnsen, Vicki Schwantes|
DescriptionNarrow East-West ridge that separates the South Fork + North Fork Lone Pine Creek drainages (also separates the South and North sectors of the USFS Mt Whitney zone). East end is the short west ridge of Thor Peak near Pinnacle Pass (GPS lat long ~ N36.5754 W118.2703, altitude ~ 21150ft / 3700m). West end of this ridge is the east buttress (N36.57398 W118.28673) of the Third Needle.
Uses of this ridge:
- traverse along it from end to end (most likely E to W)
- there's a climb at least 5.10 somewhere on S face.
- access to climbing routes on east side of Third Needle.
- get to or from Thor Peak summit by its short W ridge.
- cross over it between the South and North sectors of Whitney Zone - (more likely useful for S to N, because the N access to/from Pinnacle Pass is short vertical from normal N Fork LP trail route, while S access is a long vertical from nearest good trail)
Permit required: All routes in this area require a USFS wilderness permit for either single-day or overnight use. The permit can be requested in advance in January, or sometimes permits are available the day before by walking into the Mt Whitney Visitors Center just south of Lone Pine - (only available at this center, not at any other USFS centers along the Eastside Sierra).
Access limited from May to October every year Details
Getting ThereFrom Whitney Portal trailhead, can go up North Fork Lone Pine Creek by the normal route past Upper Boy Scout Lake, then climb up the North side of Pinnacle Pass (at the East end of the ridge).
Or from Whitney Portal trailhead, can hike the Mt Whitney Trail up South Fork Lone Pine Creek to near Mirror Lake, then climb up the South side of Pinnacle Pass (at the East end of the ridge). Or continue farther up the trail to Trail Camp, then hike/scramble over and up the South side of the West end of the ridge.
Days w Precip
Prime Climbing Season