Mountain Project Logo

Castleton camping closed

Original Post
Yann Gudefin · · Chambéry, FR · Joined Sep 2023 · Points: 20
Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

A shame. Wonder what caused it? It had steadily become more used and abused by the free-loading crowd (regardless of vehicle choice). I seem to recall there were a few near misses and illegal parking on several occasions too?

Marcel Such · · maybe Colorado · Joined May 2020 · Points: 15

I am confused and curious what Grand County means by "overnight stay" zoning and how that may impact other dispersed camping in the area (which is already challenging). Does anybody have any further details beyond the notice linked above? I couldn't find anything else in a Google search.

La MoMoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 60

Are they closing the toilet in the hiker parking lot? That seems...short sighted.

Yann Gudefin · · Chambéry, FR · Joined Sep 2023 · Points: 20
La MoMoface wrote:

Are they closing the toilet in the hiker parking lot? That seems...short sighted.

Yes

Steve Williams · · The state of confusion · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 235

Wonder if it was because of the richie person's wedding mess that was left behind. . .

grug g · · SLC · Joined Jul 2022 · Points: 5

A DAMN SHAME. But last time I stayed there a crowd of rafters (~20 people) were ROWDY AF and just trashing the place.  

ben jammin · · Moab, UT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 852
grug g · · SLC · Joined Jul 2022 · Points: 5

Does anyone know why it closed?

If there's no parking allowed, where does one access the trail from to approach Castleton (and the rest)? Seems like at least a couple of folks have been up there since the closure, the website guidance is clear as mud about where you approach from now. Or maybe I'm dumb and missing something obvious.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
grug g wrote:

Does anyone know why it closed?

We were notified 3.14.2024 of the County’s newly enacted “over night-stay” zoning changes which effect this area.

Basically too many people camping in certain areas are causing too much impact. The zone boundary was changed and now includes Castle Valley. I cannot find a map of the zone.

Bad Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2020 · Points: 0
Marcel Such wrote:

If there's no parking allowed, where does one access the trail from to approach Castleton (and the rest)? Seems like at least a couple of folks have been up there since the closure, the website guidance is clear as mud about where you approach from now. Or maybe I'm dumb and missing something obvious.

You can approach through the campground. 

Bad Climber wrote:

You can approach through the campground. 

But if there's no parking allowed at the campground...hitchhike in?

Marcel Such wrote:

But if there's no parking allowed at the campground...hitchhike in?

There were multiple vehicles there yesterday parked just next to the entrance to the campground. you can park just off the road and walk through the campground to access the trail. 

Bad Climber wrote:

There were multiple vehicles there yesterday parked just next to the entrance to the campground. you can park just off the road and walk through the campground to access the trail. 

Weird, okay. I thought the road parking was illegal and part of the reason they closed the campground.

Marcel Such wrote:

Weird, okay. I thought the road parking was illegal and part of the reason they closed the campground.

The county didn't say anything about illegal parking -- just that the campground didn't have the appropriate permit/zoning and it appears all parties are trying to work that out at the moment.

cdawg lion · · BeaUTAHfull · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 165

Yesterday there were about 7 cars parked on both sides of the road. No tickets on the cars. No 'no parking' signs.

I believe that Utah open lands ask people not to park on the road into the camping area. But I don't think there's anything to regulate parking along the loop road. I would think that as long as cars are safely parked off of the loop road that the Grand county sheriff's deputies won't have any reason to ticket. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Can the OP please change the title of the thread to Castleton from Castletown?

Thanks.

more details from Moab Times:

Castleton climber campground temporarily closed moabtimes.com/articles/cast…

Maryssa Fenwick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2023 · Points: 0

Campground Is Open - Update: The county has granted permission for the reopening of the campground. Over night use, in the designated camping spots only, is permitted! 

You can find more info on Utah Open Lands’ socials & on their website

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Castleton camping closed"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started