Mountain Project Logo

Progress Capture for Beal Back Up Rope

Original Post
Thomas Keefer · · Bend, OR · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

I am debating between a Beal Back Up and the Rad Line. I know the rad works with a microtrax but does anyone who uses the Beal Back Up have any experience with compatible progress capture devices?

Thanks!

J C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 477

Haven't used Beal, is it advertised as 6 mm? If so, I'd guess it would be ok. My Edelrid 6 mm rap line is confidence inspiring in a trax, far better than 6 mm accessory cord.

Mx Amie · · Milwaukie, OR · Joined May 2019 · Points: 327

I've used a rollnlock with the backup line and it's solid. beal sells their crevasse kit with the backup line and a tract'up (since recalled), the rollnlock is pretty similar and more accessible in the states

J C wrote:

Haven't used Beal, is it advertised as 6 mm? If so, I'd guess it would be ok. My Edelrid 6 mm rap line is confidence inspiring in a trax, far better than 6 mm accessory cord.

it's 5.5mm

Sylvester Jakubowski · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2021 · Points: 0

Afiak only the Mammut dry 6.0 glacier and the rad line are rated for the microtrax for 6mm rope. 

Mx Amie wrote:

I've used a rollnlock with the backup line and it's solid. beal sells their crevasse kit with the backup line and a tract'up (since recalled), the rollnlock is pretty similar and more accessible in the states

it's 5.5m

Thanks!! That's great news

I wound up getting an Edelrid Spoc after trying out both it and the petzl nano. The primary difference between the two, I think, when it comes to smaller ropes, is that the spoc teeth go all the way to the pulley when the device is not threaded. In theory, I suppose, this would mean you could use it on any rope where the sheath would tolerate it no matter how small. The Nano, the teeth leave a bit of clearance over the pulley. Likely splitting hairs at this point between the two. One other difference is that it appears that the Spoc accepts just about any locker but the nano would be best with an specific type.

Thanks for the inputs! 

Christian Hesch · · Morro Bay · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 55

when cross loading, the spoc opens up easier than the trax (the biner hole is about 2x the size necessary), i like to use a rubber washer on each side to help keep it centered on the biner - might not be necessary for your application(s) but just be mindful of it with the spoc.

Gui Vendemiatti · · Santa Cruz, CA · Joined Nov 2020 · Points: 25

Reviving the thread as I'm curious. Thomas, 2 years later, do you still like the Spoc with the Beal Back Up line? Have you ever tried hauling small/medium loads with it?

Gui Vendemiatti wrote:

Reviving the thread as I'm curious. Thomas, 2 years later, do you still like the Spoc with the Beal Back Up line? Have you ever tried hauling small/medium loads with it?

I am still happy with my choice - I have not done any real hauling with it but do practice setting up to haul with a Z drag at least a couple times a season and pull a small load. It seems to work great :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Progress Capture for Beal Back Up Rope"

Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.