Mountain Project Logo

Moonboard width

Original Post
MisterSir · · Back of my truck · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 260

Anyone know how wide the holds are on the moon board? All my specs will be good except I will only have 7’5” of width.

I really don’t want to try and space the holds closer (narrower) together. I would much rather the far right and left columns be right on the edge of the board.

Ideas/Suggestions?

Nolan Fulton · · Huntsville, AL · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 561

20cm apart between T nuts.  so that is around. 6' 6 3/4" that gives you around 5" on each side of the outer T nuts using the 7'5" dimension you have .
that is plenty enough for your holds to still be on the wall.
I would lay out your 20cm spacing on your 7'5" plywood or on anything and visually see where your framing would be so the Tnuts does not interfere.
Hope this helps.

Chris Horton · · St. George, UT / Encampment… · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 280
How to Build Your Own Moon Board

It looks like you have 20-24cm I’m each side to work with, you should be alright.
Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,030

As others have said, you can certainly fit the holds at the 20cm spacing and have less on the outsides. But there are a good number of problems that require body positioning near the edge, and/or have a dynamic sideways movement that makes you fall outside the edge of the board, if you try and fail to latch the move, so if you only have 7.5 feet space because you have walls on each side, that would limit the problems you can do without smashing into side walls, and the problems that require body positioning near the edge might be impossible, too.

But there are enough of the problems in the moonboard collection... so...

MisterSir · · Back of my truck · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 260
Lena chita wrote: As others have said, you can certainly fit the holds at the 20cm spacing and have less on the outsides. But there are a good number of problems that require body positioning near the edge, and/or have a dynamic sideways movement that makes you fall outside the edge of the board, if you try and fail to latch the move, so if you only have 7.5 feet space because you have walls on each side, that would limit the problems you can do without smashing into side walls, and the problems that require body positioning near the edge might be impossible, too.

But there are enough of the problems in the moonboard collection... so...

This was a concern of mine as well (regardless of the alterations to the wall). Like you said, there are plenty of moonboard problems, not too mention more reason to do these sideways dynamic moves in a more controlled manner. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Moonboard width "