Mountain Project Logo

how to get shredded but also climb hard


Original Post
Daniel Behrend · · phoenix · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Im starting to look into ways to build muscle but also still be able to pull myself up a rock wall. Does anyone have any suggestions. 

Thomas Claiborne · · North County of SD or Idyll… · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 15

So you're trying to pick up a date at the climbing gym? 

Daniel Behrend · · phoenix · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Sir Crimpanzee wrote: So you're trying to pick up a date at the climbing gym? 

sure why not, but really i just want to feel better about the way i look

O’Shay Kramer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

What kind of physique are we talking about? Young Arnold? Or maybe a Magnus Midtbø?

mike sheridan · · Golden · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 45

Roids, Protein, Heineken, Yegger Bombs, and get swol

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
mike sheridan wrote: Roids, Protein, Heineken, Yegger Bombs, and get swol

So I can still drink? 

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,186

Pull yourself up a rock wall? First of all, I believe you have some fundamentals to learn as regards technique to learn that would probably counter the dumpster heap of useless man gristle you wish to convey skyward.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 210
Clearly, the two are incompatible.
Nate Nate · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 10

Wow, five responses and not one serious answer. Why do you people even respond to these threads?
Daniel, There is a fine balance between building the beach muscles and pulling hard (overhangs especially).
Keep your protein levels high (whey protein helps), sugar levels at a minimum. Focus on compound lifts in the gym.  Don’t neglect pull ups.  Minimize lower body lifts (power/weight ratio) because it won’t help you with climbing (unless you have chicken legs because chicken legs don’t look good on anyone).
 
Good luck and stay strong!

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,186
Nate Nate wrote: Wow, five responses and not one serious answer. Why do you people even respond to these threads?
I gave a serious answer. If you say you “pull” yourself up the “rock wall”, I don’t think you know much about climbing. Learning more about how to climb well will probably help counter all the useless beach muscle he wants to add in order to feel good about himself. Or maybe try therapy? 
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 210

My response was serious.  His question is inane; clearly, building muscle is a prerequisite for climbing hard.  O’Shay’s question was probably the most direct in addressing the banality of this thread, because he didn’t specify what he meant by “shredded.”  If he’s out for a bodybuilder physique with large muscles in areas useless for climbing like legs, pecs, etc then he’s out of luck, but having well developed pull muscles is obviously very helpful, and most people would find the ideal climber’s body pretty appealing.

Daniel Behrend · · phoenix · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
O’Shay Kramer wrote: What kind of physique are we talking about? Young Arnold? Or maybe a Magnus Midtbø?

Defiantly Magnus cause i arnie can't do a pull up cause he's so big

Daniel Behrend · · phoenix · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Ted Pinson wrote: My response was serious.  His question is inane; clearly, building muscle is a prerequisite for climbing hard.  O’Shay’s question was probably the most direct in addressing the banality of this thread, because he didn’t specify what he meant by “shredded.”  If he’s out for a bodybuilder physique with large muscles in areas useless for climbing like legs, pecs, etc then he’s out of luck, but having well developed pull muscles is obviously very helpful, and most people would find the ideal climber’s body pretty appealing.

no I don't want to be huge like the the hulk. i wanna look like something similar to magnus

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 210

If that dude doesn’t climb, he should.  That’s pretty much exactly what you’ll get from training for/from climbing.  Maybe a little overdeveloped in the chest, but it’s lean muscle so you’ll be fine. Just emphasize body weight and low resistance/high rep exercise and you’ll get that kind of toning without bulking up too much.  Some of the more serious trainers can probably chime in about hypertrophy, etc but really, climbing is going to be the best way to get that kind of body, especially if you do a lot of it.  Bouldering probably more so than ropes.

Rob warden The space lizard · · Now...where? · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0
Ted Pinson wrote: If that dude doesn’t climb, he should.  That’s pretty much exactly what you’ll get from training for/from climbing.  Maybe a little overdeveloped in the chest, but it’s lean muscle so you’ll be fine. Just emphasize body weight and low resistance/high rep exercise and you’ll get that kind of toning without bulking up too much.  Some of the more serious trainers can probably chime in about hypertrophy, etc but really, climbing is going to be the best way to get that kind of body, especially if you do a lot of it.  Bouldering probably more so than ropes.

You should Google that Magnus mothafucka... he and ondra are on the same level 

Ned Plimpton · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 110

Midtbø is 5’9” and weights 150.  Honnold is 5’11” and weighs 155-160.  Ondra is 6’1” and weighs 150.  I don’t think people realize how light/lean most elite climbers are.  I’m pretty sure those guys don’t spend much time worrying about building muscle.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 210
Rob warden The space lizard wrote:

You should Google that Magnus mothafucka... he and ondra are on the same level 

Haha, just did...called it.

So...OP wants a climber’s body and to climb hard.  Where, exactly is the contradiction?
T A · · Denver · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 10

Aleks..?

Buck Rogers · · Germany · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 5

I’m curious how much running/cycling/rowing Alex and Magnus do in their daily/weekly routine.

Has anyone seen anything related to that for them?

mbk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

https://rockandice.com/videos/training/train-like-magnus-midtbo/

If only there were some magical way for anyone on earth to discover "how to train like magnus midtbo"...
master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 152
Daniel Behrend wrote:

no I don't want to be huge like the the hulk. i wanna look like something similar to magnus

Only trolls would post something like this. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "how to get shredded but also climb hard"

Log In to Reply