Mountain Project Logo

Biggest cliff in each state

Jacob Dolence · · Farmville, VA · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 806
Richard S wrote: IN 93 I climbed Slick Rock with my 8 & a 9 year old daughters in 10 pitches with 165' ropes. A 70 would open up better belay options; I do not remember any fixed belays and a few bolts. I also did it in 83 and saw no bolts.
Theres lots of bolts on slick rock, depends on the route. The classic route still has no bolts (which is awesome!). The memorial route has up to 14 bolts per pitch and scenic traction and slippery slope have many bolted sections. Your right a 70 meter rope opens up way better belay options. The classic route still remains one of my favorite climbs ever. If you hit the season right your whole descent is filled with big fat ripe huckleberries.
Monomaniac · · Morrison, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 17,295
Warren Scott wrote:New Mexico: got to be the Brazos Cliffs, at 3000 ft tall.
Hmmm. Here are the Brazos:

maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&…

You could make a weak argument for 2000', but that would include a lot of slabby, tree-covered "cliff".
Eric8 · · Maynard, MA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 310

The North face of Johannesburg in Washington is 4400ft. I don't know if it counts as a cliff with hanging glaciers on it but is mostly rock...

J C Wilks · · Loveland, CO · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 310

For steep rock in Tejas I'd vote for Indecent Buttress in Hueco Tanks at about three pitches. Big Bend and Guadelupe have some impressive cliffs, Boquillas & Santa Elena Canyons, South Rim of the Chisos, El Capitan and others are tall, but they tend to be choss.

Warren Scott · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 10
Monomaniac wrote: Hmmm. Here are the Brazos: maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&… You could make a weak argument for 2000', but that would include a lot of slabby, tree-covered "cliff".
I'll concede the Brazos have a large scree field leading up to the base, but once roped up the cliffs stay sustained. Slabby and broken in spots for sure, but there's no walking off once on a route. Excellent fishing in the Brazos river too.
bwillem · · the wasatch · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 50

I would say that the UP in Michigan should be counted as a separate state. That would make Grand Ledge the biggest cliff at 35'.

Jeff Woodward · · New Haven, CT · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 170

Just guessing here, but would Slesse or Bear Mountain in Washington have faces that would warrant consideration?

Darin Berdinka · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 267

In WA, J-Berg seems a bit too mountainous to be consider a cliff. The East Face of Slesse, East Face of East Mox, East Face of Main Index (NNB) probably fit the bill. I'd guess Slesse but thats just a guess. 2400'?

Monomaniac · · Morrison, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 17,295
Jeff Woodward wrote:Just guessing here, but would Slesse or Bear Mountain in Washington have faces that would warrant consideration?
Pretty sure Slesse is in Canada.
nhclimber · · Newmarket, NH · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 1,355

wiloughby for VT I would think.

Kip Kasper · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 200

doesn't bear have a grade VI on it? the Diamond or something. read about it in the beckey guide. I know the NNB is a VI.

Lauer · · Duluth, MN · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 0

Palisade Head is the tallest cliff in Minnesota.

I know someone already shit on it, but I believe the tallest sheer cliff in AZ is in the grand canyon.

Brooks Henry · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 685

Anyone know about Iowa? I'm assuming its like ten feet or something

Nathan Stokes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 440
Kevin Brooks Henry wrote:Anyone know about Iowa? I'm assuming its like ten feet or something
Its probably a road cut on the border to some other state :-)
Thomas Riddle · · Provo, Ut · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 5
Nathan Stokes wrote: Its probably a road cut on the border to some other state :-)
Still better than Kansas, even the road cuts are too chossy to call a cliff.
Tyler King · · Salt Lake, UT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 1,385

Tristan,

Tell me you're making a nationwide to-do list of all the big walls?! Get after it man!

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
John Wilder wrote:found a topo map for wheeler peak in nv- best guess is that the north face is roughly 2,000' or so- but there are no routes up it.
Actually, I think there's several.
dinglestyle · · Catonsville, MD · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 95

West Virginia tallest face maybe Champ Rock 450', which has more then a 100' on Seneca Rocks.

Rogerlarock Mix · · Nedsterdam, Colorado · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 5

Table Rock SC checks in at around 750' Biggest in SC for sure.

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700
Brian in SLC wrote: Actually, I think there's several.
I would agree--if you hit wheeler at the right time of year there is amazing climbing out there.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Biggest cliff in each state"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started