Mountain Project Logo

60cm Alpine Draw suggestions? (Ocun Kestrel dyn 12)

Original Post
Henrique Vermelho · · Rio de Janeiro · Joined Sep 2023 · Points: 0

I'm in the market for half a dozen 60cm alpine draws, and the Ocun Kestrel caught my eye. Has anyone used it before? Are the biners rubbish?

Jared E · · Denver-based healthcare tra… · Joined Nov 2022 · Points: 66

I mean it’s a dyneema sling and two wiregates, how different could it be from any other alpine draw?

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398
Jared E wrote:

I mean it’s a dyneema sling and two wiregates, how different could it be from any other alpine draw?

You obviously should avoid a career in marketing.

anyways, the ocun is great and all, but it will only do over the pants stuff. The edelrid equivalent will let you do some hand stuff. However, the BD one…well, let’s just say everyone is using them, if you know what I mean. Camp is also good, but isn’t really the kind you bring home with you, more of one time thing you experiment with in college

OP, don’t overthink it, it is rated, it will do what you need it to do. The difference in a lot of basic gear is aesthetic, not really functional.

NaCl - · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2021 · Points: 0

I use Kestrels. They're absolutely fine but on the small side and I found I needed getting accustomed to them to be as slick(ish) as with a full size biner. Nice and light and now I'm used to them I don't even notice the size difference.

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Trango have worked for me for a while! 

Wictor Dahlström · · Stockholm · Joined Oct 2021 · Points: 0

I pefer the Camp carabiner over the Kestrel. The Kestrel does not handle that well, but it works... 

Todd Jenkins · · Alexandria, VA · Joined Nov 2020 · Points: 16

I love Petzl Spirit biners.  

Matt Wetmore · · NYC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 519

It looks like these use a sling with two sewn eyes at the end, instead of the sling being a sewn loop.

I've been considering getting draws like this since they are lighter, but I'm afraid of downsides of the sling not being a loop, like not being able tp throw it over your shoulder.

Does anyone have experience using this style of alpine draw, who could speak to the experience of using them vs sewn loop draws?

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 528
Matt Wetmore wrote:

It looks like these use a sling with two sewn eyes at the end, instead of the sling being a sewn loop.

I've been considering getting draws like this since they are lighter, but I'm afraid of downsides of the sling not being a loop, like not being able tp throw it over your shoulder.

Does anyone have experience using this style of alpine draw, who could speak to the experience of using them vs sewn loop draws?

FWIW, they aren't actually any lighter.  I suspect it's because you need the same amount of dyneema to meet the strength requirement, regardless of the form factor.

For example, weights of various 60 cm slings:

Ocun St-Sling (the sling in that kit, 12mm with end eyes): 21g

Petzl St'anneau (12mm): 20g

Blue Ice Alpine Runner (55cm long, sewn loop ends): 20g

BD Dynex Runner (10mm): 19g

Mammut Contact (8mm): 19g

So they're pretty much all the same.

I have one of the Blue Ice ones, it's nifty but I am not totally sold on it.  Racks a bit cleaner and potentially easier to extend because it's less messy, but can't put it over your shoulder or do loopy things with it.  In the end I think they're cool but not really a game-changer.

Matt Wetmore · · NYC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 519
Kyle Tarry wrote:

FWIW, they aren't actually any lighter.  I suspect it's because you need the same amount of dyneema to meet the strength requirement, regardless of the form factor.

Ocun St-Sling (the sling in that kit): 21g

Petzl St'anneau: 20g

I have one of the Blue Ice ones, it's nifty but I am not totally sold on it.  Racks a bit cleaner and potentially easier to extend because it's less messy, but can't put it over your shoulder or do loopy things with it.  In the end I think they're cool but not really a game-changer.

Thanks Kyle! I just assumed they'd be lighter but never checked, good to know they aren't actually lighter.

Mr Rogers · · Pollock Pines and Bay area CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 67
Kyle Tarry wrote:

Ocun St-Sling (the sling in that kit): 21g

Petzl St'anneau: 20g

with the 110cm from blue ice you can put it over your shoulder, clip the ends together... throw over shoulder. Also nice cause you can just unclip and pull and come right off the body. No need to pull over your head and potentially tangle
Little folk might be able to use thew 90cm in that fashion too.

I use the mammut trad sling, but it weight actually more than the contact sling of same length by like 1/2grams...although the rabbit runner style you can arrange it to 3 different lengths instead of 2 for a round sling.
Ex: 120cm can make a 30/60 or 120cm lengths. But as you said, certain things wont be doable cause its not a loop.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "60cm Alpine Draw suggestions? (Ocun Kestrel dyn…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started