Will you pay for mountain project?
|
|
With the recent acquisition of mountain project by OnX, the question feels very relevant; Will you subscribe or pay for mountain project if they start charging? I realize OnX has said they won't start charging for mountain project, but the subscription model is how most companies make money, with the exception of the largest media companies ie Facebook, Twitter (well, used to...), Tiktok ect. It is a logical jump for OnX to acquire mountain project with the intent of charging, just like other apps they offer. Pricing wise OnX offroad hunt and backcountry are all about $30 a year for a base model or about $100 a year for an elite membership (I don't know what elite vs base model gives you). I wonder how the many people will stop posting new routes they if OnX starts charging. I'm sure they already have all the data/routes backed up already so deleting routes already on here is silly. Will there be a new competitor? Will supertopo make a come back? What are your guys thoughts? |
|
|
No |
|
|
Pay nothing with adverts? |
|
|
If it's the forum they want to charge for, I can stand up an alternative in minutes and provide a soft landing for the community (even all the traddies). It's the other value adds with MP that some might find valuable... Ticks, todos, routes, etc... that and the forum history. All valuable user generated content. MP forum search is kind of janky though. |
|
|
I already have onyx- handy to know whose land I’m about to cross. Surprised at the acquisition- hope it works well for all involved. If they can link stuff directly to the map app, it’d be really handy for newbies or folks in unfamiliar areas. |
|
|
Will any of you guys be voting for Obama? |
|
|
garrett K wrote: Anything to scare off the sport climbers who value their fancy beers over good beta and pontificating. |
|
|
Nice try onx. I believe this is what economists call market research. |
|
|
Tradiban wrote: What are you talking about, we can't afford houses, so we're just wasting our disposable income on useless subscriptions like (potentially) MP and 8 separate streaming services instead of avocado toast and a hoppy IPA. |
|
|
When bots are humans: MP edition. |
|
|
No |
|
|
Hell nah |
|
|
Lol no |
|
|
No |
|
|
Would I pay for a site where all value is provided by unpaid users adding and maintaining route descriptions? |
|
|
No. |
|
|
No. |
|
|
NO |
|
|
It’s nice to see MP users come together unanimously on something. |
|
|
|
|
|
No |





