Yosemite Decimal System now the Movement Decimal System?
|
|
Maybe this got lost in all the finger pointing, but Movement said that minus means a or b, and plus means c or d. So if you’re on a 10+, it’s a 10c or 10d. At least in a Movement gym. |
|
|
I was told there'd be no math. |
|
|
Desert Rock Sports wrote: Lazy may apply to some places, but at least for Boulder, our setters are world-class. It feels like an affront to them, devaluing their skill, to say "yeah we don't trust you can dial this in to a/b/c/d, so now it's just + or -." |
|
|
Andrew Leaf wrote: I keep thinking there must be some other reason they're not stating - something like branding or marketing, or they think it will encourage newer climbers, or something like that. Otherwise I can't understand why they wouldn't use the -/ /+ system, which is a better compromise in my opinion. They would only need to buy a few more of the placards for those middle grades so surely that is a non-factor, and it would still keep the setters from spending time entering route info into some word doc, printing the labels, and then spending time to scrape them off. |
|
|
Chuck Becker wrote: I bet it’s a secret ploy to get tons of publicity on mountain project |
|
|
Hank Caylor wrote: Doing math and keeping track of all the gym sends on 8anu is a tiring process... |
|
|
James - wrote: Commenting because I have never seen a truer rating system in the world. **Kaya gives you the grade for every climb, movement is pushing users to log their climbs and utilize the app to assist in tracking progress. |
|
|
James - wrote: So "10-" means "slightly more than 10?" YDS math gets even MORE screwy at every plot twist. |
|
|
Look it's all; very simple, it goes: 5.10, 5.10a, 5.10-, but 5.10- can also mean 5.10, and 5.10a, and/or 5.10b depending There's NOTHING to fix. |
|
|
SORRY AMENDED: Movement 5.10-, Movement 5.10+, Movement 5.11-, Movement 5.11+, Movement 5.12-, 5.10, 5.10a, 5.10-, but 5.10- can also mean 5.10, and 5.10a, and/or 5.10b depending |
|
|
Long Ranger wrote: I believe that both of you are a little confused. Some, mostly trad, areas dispense with letter grades, and the scale correlates as thus: 5.10- = 5.10a/b, 5.10 = 5.10b/c, 5.10+ = 5.10c/d, and so on. This really isn’t that complicated, and one just needs to remember that one letter grade is in fact a full grade, so for example, the difference between a 5.12a and 5.12d is night and day, and is the same as 5.12- to 5.12+, with 5.12 in between the two. Really simple. |
|
|
Frank Stein wrote: I don't want to waste my time, but, I think, OP mentioned that his gym introduced "5.10-, 5.10+" and so on, skipping the "5.10" Quote -
|
|
|
Andrew Leaf wrote: If you really are that much of a training geek - the next Ondra? - and need everything to be exact - why in earth would you bother with random come/go routes in a gym? Use a Kilter (or equivalent). |
|
|
amarius wrote: I get that, and don’t really care. What annoys me is the idea that some have where the scale goes from 5.XX, 5.XXa, 5.XXb, 5.XXc, 5.XXd through 5.XX+, which is just a tad of a silly interpretation of the scale. |
|
|
If 5.10 a/b exists, does that mean 5.10 -/+ exists? |
|
|
Long Ranger wrote: Don’t be obtuse. 5.10- can be anywhere from a to b. 5.10+ is c or d, and 5.10 is b or c. It’s just a compacted scale. |
|
|
Thanks all for the mostly respectful diuscussion. For those of you that couldn't keep it respectful, thank you for reminding me why it's been so long since I tried to engage in a discussion on the internet. To those of you suggesting I am not having FUN, I assure you I am. You can have fun and train at a gym and still disagree with Movement compacting the grading system to save on $80 worth of paper throughout all 21 gyms they mange. Also my favorite grading scale is the +/- system, where there is 5.10-, 5.10, & 5.10+ and I would have never started this thread if that is what they adopted, but they didn't. I know I can use the phone app but I prefer to leave my phone in my locker and focus my gym time on laughing with my partner and training, my phone takes up enough of my attention otherwise. |
|
|
Bickle wrote: I don't think they went to the +/- to save paper. They started using the washers and permanent placards to save paper. The grade change was to make things "more inclusive" so that if your body type made that 10a feel more like a 10b, you could feel better about yourself. |
|
|
skik2000 wrote: Heck, then I’d personally prefer they compact it down to 5.E, 5.M, 5.H (Easy, Moderate, Hard) so I could feel like I’m just one step away from 5.13 |
|
|
This one time at my gym... actually I'll spare the story because nobody cares, its a gym. |




