Mountain Project Logo

Other Hobbies of Climbing Fanatics?

Jesse Quandt · · Golden, CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 117

I like to mountain bike. It's a nice faster alternative to climbing. So it balances out well. I also like house plants. However, I'm also looking for more hobbies, mainly sedentary, that I can do just when I'm sitting at home doing nothing. I'm tired of netflix and video games!

Max Manson · · Superior, CO and Stanford, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 526

Pole Vaulting, amateur high power rocketry/experimental rocket motors, hiking/trail running/exploring outside, DIY projects, film-making, cliff jumping, caving, and rockhounding/geology are all pretty fun!

june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 135
jwbertagna Bertagna wrote:

Kayaking has ruined my climbing

The white water is best when it is too wet to climb, I find they balance nicely. 

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

'batin

420blazeit

trollin on the proj

dirt/mountain biking

Seth Bleazard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 719

There are other things besides climbing?! Blasphemy! 

...mountain biking and skiing are fun though.

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274

I shoot birds at the airport

Paul Webber · · Three Rivers, CA · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 201

Anybody else like to play disc golf? 

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,257

Shouldn’t being a true fanatic preclude you from other interests?

As a mere dilettante, I have no problem keeping myself entertained with quite a few different past times.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Mountain biking, skiing, SCUBA diving, kayaking, drums, guitar, bass, piano, being a dad (fits somewhere in there).

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5
Jesse Quandt wrote:

I like to mountain bike. It's a nice faster alternative to climbing. So it balances out well.

MTB is the skiing of summer. Nice to have a "leg" hobby (or two) to balance climbing. 

jay steinke · · Duluth, Mn. · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20

Just took up sketching which will lead to painting, probably pastel. I figure when I can’t climb anymore I will want to do something that will be enjoyable. This seems like it might fit the bill. Also, working out. Do it now to stay in shape for a Climbing but will continue it throughout my life. What’s left of it, haha!!!

Alex Fischer · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 879

Caving. You think you're remote when you're on a backcountry alpine route at high elevation? Just wait until you're deep underground into a maze in the bedrock, totally and completely inaccessible and invisible to anyone on the surface. Brings a whole new meaning to remote

Chris Duca · · Dixfield, ME · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,580

Art, running, and cooking

Kristian Solem · · Hulett, WY · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,085

I'm a music lover/one time classical player, so Tweaking, adjusting, parting with $ (  ) on my audio set-up is high on the list.

A couple years ago I rekindled my high school love of photography. My, haven't things changed. Pouring liquid from a flat 11x14 tray into a bottle without spilling any is a lost art.

I commit a lot of time to Yoga and Pilates. I've found that as I age that kind of strength and mobility is important. Lose your mobility and everything changes. Of course I'm lucky that despite my best efforts over the years to break this body, my injuries have healed well, so I don't have that stuff holding me back. Yet.

More recently I found a way to escape the COVID craze. Jam the jeep full of all the provisions for the trip, don't stop for anything but gas, and get deep in the desert. Just drove from Trona to Death Valley, up and over the Panamint Mtns. That was good fun. Mengel pass was a bit nerve wracking. I've never come down into Death Valley from that side. It's drop dead gorgeous.

We cleared this by a hair. Nice of someone to stack all those rocks in there (I think). I have to say, I'm really impressed with the 4 cyl turbo. 18mpg over a 40 mile crawl, half of which was in 4L. But check in with me about that motor in 100K.

Greg Barnes · · American Safe Climbing Asso… · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,776

Nice Kris! I drove Mengel pass at age 15....and my grandmother was driving the other 4x4 at age 81. We wondered if we were setting the age records at both end of the spectrum!

Pat Marrinan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 25

Mountain project is my only hobby...

Brent Kelly · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 186

If anyone in the Denver/Boulder area wants to try out Epee fencing, I can offer an intro session at Northern Colorado Fencers in Boulder.

We offer casual “date night” intro sessions from time to time that are a good way to experience it in a fun setting, but if someone is serious about getting into it competitively, I’m happy to help you get started.

https://www.ncfencers.org/

Still eager to make a fencing bout happen on the Eldo concrete pad.

(I often wish I had more “productive” hobbies besides athleticism/climbing/fencing. Fun to use/build the body and mind, but it’s nice to have some tangible output from time to time, rather than just “experiences”. I have yet to develop the ability to guitar an entire song or hobby construct something that isn’t a bare bones get-it-done bodge. One of the main reasons I’m psyched on getting more involved with BCC stewardship like trail work and rebolting. Also why I enjoy serving more as a fencing mentor these days rather than competitor. Y’all building stuff like furniture and whatnot is pretty damn impressive and inspiring. Thanks for sharing.)

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635
Brent Kelly wrote:

If anyone in the Denver/Boulder area wants to try out Epee fencing, I can offer an intro session at Northern Colorado Fencers in Boulder.

We offer casual “date night” intro sessions from time to time that are a good way to experience it in a fun setting, but if someone is serious about getting into it competitively, I’m happy to help you get started.

https://www.ncfencers.org/

Still eager to make a fencing bout happen on the Eldo concrete pad.

(I often wish I had more “productive” hobbies besides athleticism/climbing/fencing. Fun to use/build the body and mind, but it’s nice to have some tangible output from time to time, rather than just “experiences”. I have yet to develop the ability to guitar an entire song or hobby construct something that isn’t a bare bones get-it-done bodge. One of the main reasons I’m psyched on getting more involved with BCC stewardship like trail work and rebolting. Also why I enjoy serving more as a fencing mentor these days rather than competitor. Y’all building stuff like furniture and whatnot is pretty damn impressive and inspiring. Thanks for sharing.)

OMG, I never knew it until now, but my climbing days have all lacked something, and that is a fricking sword fight at the base of the crag.

Seriously, that's a super cool hobby!

compliments are aid · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 0

Baking! I find it totally taps into a similar problem solving area of the brain that climbing does, despite being a different medium. And if you start getting really into it, it can be a hell of a workout! At one point in my career, my right arm was almost double the musculature of my left haha
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Other Hobbies of Climbing Fanatics?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.