Mountain Project Logo

Waterproof outdoor climbing mat for home wall

Original Post
Maximilian Tagher · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 65

I'm making a home wall about 8 feet wide and 10 feet high that I want to add padding for. I'm quarantining where I grew up in Kentucky, so I can't use my crashpads which are across the country right now. I imagine I want thicker than a normal crashpad ideally, since the wall will be steep (probably 30–45 degrees) and noone will be spotting my falls. Additionally, I'd like to leave it outside, so it should ideally have no trouble with rain.

Is there a good way to do this? I imagine what I want is some sort of waterproof shell that I stuff with with open cell foam + a layer of closed cell foam (unless there's something already like this on the market?). The best option I've found to buy is Asana's vinyl climbing mat, which I emailed them about to ask if it's appropriate for outdoors ( asanaclimbing.com/collectio…). If I need to DIY something, I do have access to a pretty heavy duty sewing machine.

Carter Percy · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 85

This may be a bit jank but a tarp duck-taped around an old mattress would be easy to replace and cheap.

Gordy Schafer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 193

I used rubber mulch for my landing area & kids playground.

Somewhere in the literature i think it said something like an 8" section creates a safe fall for 20'.

I also use pads, but I have taken bad falls on to it from 10-12 feet and it works just fine.

Hope this helps!

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270
Gordy Schafer wrote:

I used rubber mulch for my landing area & kids playground.

Somewhere in the literature i think it said something like an 8" section creates a safe fall for 20'.

I also use pads, but I have taken bad falls on to it from 10-12 feet and it works just fine.

Hope this helps!

This is really smart. I have climbed quite a bit at the Cliffs Dumbo’s outdoor wall and taken 8-10 foot falls on this stuff and it’s great. Also cleans your shoes for you

Here it is, 6" gets you 16'!
https://imcoutdoorliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/NuPlay_Mulch_Nuggets_IPEMA_V1.pdf

Thanks all; didn’t realize rubber mulch could be so effective.

Indoor Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2020 · Points: 0

Gordy, I’m in the same boat... would you say a fall on to those was as safe as falling on a large pad? I’m looking at quotes for outdoor padding and it’s in the $3-$4k range for 12” foam which seems high, this may be a better option?

Indoor Climber wrote:

Gordy, I’m in the same boat... would you say a fall on to those was as safe as falling on a large pad? I’m looking at quotes for outdoor padding and it’s in the $3-$4k range for 12” foam which seems high, this may be a better option?

Yes I would. There were a lot of things I may have done differently on my home builds the rubber mulch is perfect though. We originally wanted the rubber mulch & drag pads, after we saw the cost & shipping problems with the large drag pads, we opted to buy a few crash pads that were on sale. Way more bang for your buck!

I'm trying out the rubber mulch (though it sounds like mulch + pads might be the best option based on what Gordy is doing). For anyone purchasing it, Menards has it ~half the price of Costco, even though you're buying from Costco in bulk (probably b/c Costco is delivered). 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Waterproof outdoor climbing mat for home wall"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started