Mountain Project Logo

Sprinter tires in the Henry Mountains and Mexican Hat

Original Post
Jay J · · Euelss · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 5

Dreaming of a trip to the Henry Mountains as soon as the situation allows.  Also hoping to get up to Mexican Hat and try some easy aid climbing.  I have a 158" wheelbase (the long one) 2006 Sprinter Van I plan to take.  The tires have a safe level of rubber for normal travel, but I wonder if I should get new tires for the harsher road conditions of the area.  Do I need to get some new tires, mayby something a bit knobby, for the rear tires at least?  

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 888

If your tires are stock they're likely a cheaper 6 ply. For driving around the desert and high mountains you want a beefier 8 or 10 ply tire. They're heavier, but you'll be less likely to get a flat due to a rock to the sidewall. But if you have a full size spare you're probably good to go for now.

Insert name · · Harts Location · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 46

Jay,

Your tires are likely 10 ply continental tires.

Do you have 15 or 16” rims?

The Vancos which are the standard Sprinter tire are tough tires, they aren’t great in the snow or any true “off-road” sense.

If you have a 158” stick with Atleast 10 ply tires with the appropriate load rating. Anything less and your handling at high speed and less than ideal
Conditions are not a good mix because of the weight of the van/build

Yeah, 16" rims, 10 ply Firestone Transforce HT.  Date code shows they were made the first week of 2016.  

I'm thinking of getting a spare carrier for the rear door so I can carry a second spare, rotating the current rear wheels to spare, and buying new tires for the rear.  The current spare is original to the vehicle and has a date code of 2006.

Anyone know the road conditions in the Henry Mountains this year?  When would Bull Creek Pass be, um, passable?  

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,316

Oh man, I wish I had the 16 in wheels. I have a dually so im stuck with the 15s.....and the Wrangler A/T. With the 16s you can put just about anything on there and you should! BFG T/A KO would be on the top of my list. The Wranglers have severed me well in snow, sand and mud.....on an 06 3500. I had the Vancos when I first got my van and they were shite

Jay J wrote: Yeah, 16" rims, 10 ply Firestone Transforce HT.  Date code shows they were made the first week of 2016.  

I'm thinking of getting a spare carrier for the rear door so I can carry a second spare, rotating the current rear wheels to spare, and buying new tires for the rear.  The current spare is original to the vehicle and has a date code of 2006.

Anyone know the road conditions in the Henry Mountains this year?  When would Bull Creek Pass be, um, passable?  

Don’t know any specifics about those areas this year.

I have driven a lot of “4wd only” roads with my van. Can’t say I recommend it to everyone if they aren’t comfortable.
with a little research you can look up how to use carpet to help you in loose dirt/sand if you get stuck. Small pieces of wood with screws are also an option. 
Mike Brady wrote: Oh man, I wish I had the 16 in wheels. I have a dually so im stuck with the 15s.....and the Wrangler A/T. With the 16s you can put just about anything on there and you should! BFG T/A KO would be on the top of my list. The Wranglers have severed me well in snow, sand and mud.....on an 06 3500. I had the Vancos when I first got my van and they were shite

Mike,

If you have a T1N, you can use the 16” dual wheels from early NCV models. I found mine on eBay for very cheap ($25/30 each). I attached a photo of my van with the 16’s
Keep in mind you will also need to switch lugnuts
Insert name wrote:

Mike,

If you have a T1N, you can use the 16” dual wheels from early NCV models. I found mine on eBay for very cheap ($25/30 each). I attached a photo of my van with the 16’s

Is that a 140" wheelbase dually?  I didn't know they made those.  

Did you paint it tan?  That looks really nice.  
Jay J wrote:

Is that a 140" wheelbase dually?  I didn't know they made those.  

Did you paint it tan?  That looks really nice.  

Yes it’s a 140 dually. It has no power windows/locks and they don’t have use the key fob style keys (super rare apparently). 

I used Monstainer to paint it, this photo is from after that. It holds up pretty and would totallyRecommend it if you plan to paint one. 
Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,316
Insert name wrote:

Mike,

Yeah. I know. I just havent done it. I guess quarantine is probably the time to do it! $30 is a smoking deal and I could finally put put those KO2's  on!!!

Did you have to trim anything up front or remove your mudflaps?
Mike Brady wrote:

Yeah. I know. I just havent done it. I guess quarantine is probably the time to do it! $30 is a smoking deal and I could finally put put those KO2's  on!!!

Did you have to trim anything up front or remove your mudflaps?

I removed all the plastics to paint. 

I haven’t put them back on, originally was going to paint them black along with the wheels.
The bigger tires caused the mudflaps up front to snag if you are off-road and turning. 
Bitter Trad wrote: No problem driving to the base of the Mexican Hat but the Henry's still have a bit of snow so the road might be pretty muddy. Also, FYI the covid infection rate on the Navajo reservation is, I believe, the third highest in the nation. Folks there are very vulnerable and if you go to the Mexican Hat you should avoid shopping or interacting with locals or just stay away for now. 

Yeah, I hear things are getting hairy in Gallup.  I gotta think some of the other areas near the reservations will be locking down.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Sprinter tires in the Henry Mountains and Mexic…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.