Mountain Project Logo

Index, WA

Original Post
D R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 45

Hey ya'll. My wife and I are supposed to go to Italy for 2 weeks starting March 7th, but if flights get canceled due to the Coronavirus, we'd be looking to climb somewhere we haven't been on our way to visit friends in San Jose, California from Colorado. How would conditions be at Index and would it be worth it? We'd plan on going to City of Rocks/Castle Rock ID and Smith Rock (been to both only one time). On our way back we'd go to Red Rocks. Looking for any other recommendations along the way, and we'd have our dog with us so it has to be pet friendly. Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions!

Rudy Ruana · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

Hey D R...

Index would be rad if you hit a dry spell, but I sure wouldn't count on it in March.  Same with Squamish.  Smith is your best bet right now.  Should be dreamy.  Dog friendly but keep your dog on a leash (expensive ticket if caught unleashed).

Zacks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 65

Pretty sure I heard we are do for another stretch of rain.  Cracks at index also seep after rain especially in the spring.  Might get some dry weather next week.  This season the weather forcast seems to change I can't make index plans until a day or 2 beforehand and even then I might be thwarted by weather.

Zach Holt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 275

If Index is not in, the Tieton area near Yakima, WA could be. I’m not sure about raptor closures. Some of the littler crags near Mt. Hood might also be worth looking at (Klinger Spring) and the such. Certainly not destination like the others, but fun in their own right and if you’re already passing them. 

Drederek · · Olympia, WA · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 315

The climbing at the city is around 5k elevation, might still be snow there? I've only been there in the fall so I could be wrong.

Patrick Beeson · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 157
Zach Holt wrote: If Index is not in, the Tieton area near Yakima, WA could be. I’m not sure about raptor closures. Some of the littler crags near Mt. Hood might also be worth looking at (Klinger Spring) and the such. Certainly not destination like the others, but fun in their own right and if you’re already passing them. 

Klinger is for sure snowed-in or very cold currently. I'd go a bit lower in elevation or the Gorge.

Jaime Bohle · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 50

Smith has be fantastic lately. 

Darin Berdinka · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 267

CA-in-March >>>>>>>>>>>>> WA-in-March for climbing (or just about anything else)

Clint Cummins · · Palo Alto, CA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,738

Weather forecasts for tomorrow (Tuesday):

Index:  90% chance rain, high 46

Smith Rock:  partly sunny, high 60

City of Rocks / Burley, ID:  partly sunny, high 51

Las Vegas:  sunny, high 71

Yosemite Valley:  sunny, high 62

This should tell you most of what you want to know.

Chris Fedorczak · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Smith Rock was amazing over the weekend. Don't get scared off by the temps. If it's 45 degrees and sunny, it's perfect. 

Thanks y'all. We tried for Italy. Made it 48 hours and then they locked down the country. Made it home then had to self quarantine for 14 days for work ... Needless to say, we didn't make it out to climb ......

Not Hobo Greg wrote: Damn I thought this was an awesome troll post till I saw the date of the OP.

I just laughed out loud

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Index, WA"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started