Mountain Project Logo

Vasectomy + Harness?

Original Post
Brandon Fields · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

I'm planning on getting a vasectomy soon and would appreciate any input on how long until it was comfortable/safe to wear a harness for you? Any other things i should think about regarding climbing and healing from the procedure? Thanks in advance!

Gabe Schwartz · · Hope Valley · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 5

I got snipped in March.  Some guys on here were all "I was climbing 2 days later".  Not me.  I could still barely walk after 2 days.  I think I went gym climbing ~2 weeks later.  I was afraid to fall, but it ended up being fine.  My harness left the sore boys alone and I was able to climb fine.  You will know when you are ready.

~ GAbe

LL Biner · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

I played basketball the day after, then had a stitch blow, then had a blood ball form.
For months I couldn't sleep on my stomach.
Take it easy

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

I agree with what most have said.  Do your mandatory time watching some TV with a sack of frozen peas on your groin and then see how you feel.  I'm assuming your privates are important to you, so give them the time they deserve. 

Kyle Edmondson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 250

I was climbing the next day, no problems.  Maybe I was lucky.

Bob . · · lyons, co · Joined May 2012 · Points: 10

Seems pretty variable.  It was about 3 weeks before I could climb again.  Don't neglect the rest and ice!  Do it on a Friday and waste your weekend in front of the TV.  

PRRose · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0

Wear a swami belt?

Casey Collyer · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

I would definitely suggest giving it at least a full week if not two full weeks before you're doing anything overly active, especially in a harness.

Setting aside general pain and possible discomfort, you're risking your leg loops possibly rubbing up against your stitches, possibly leading to blowing a stitch, causing a rash, inflammation, possible infection, etc.

I made the mistake of going for a run appropriately five days after my procedure and the chaffing it produced on my stitches was brutal.

If you can, relax at home; chill on the couch, binge some Netflix, take your NSAIDS; have your wife, partner, whoever bring you food, etc. Take advantage of the opportunity to be lazy and get back into action when your stitches are out.

Andrew Davidson · · Lake Stevens, WA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 1,560

Had it done last month, on a Thursday, I was out hiking a bit the next day. just a little slower.  I could tell they were tender and swollen for the first 5 days. Didn't try putting the harness on for two weeks though, or running.

D F · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 406

+1 for the advice to take it easy. I'd say plan on allowing two weeks of reduced activity.

I had a vasectomy in December. A few days after the procedure (which was mellow and less painful than getting a shot of Novocain in the gums for a filling at the dentist) I went to the bouldering gym thinking I'd be fine to do some easy-ish problems that I already had dialed; I failed to top out on my warmups, and dropping to the mats didn't help me feel any better. It was also a wee bit painful to walk for about a week. The upshot was that my wife pampered me and brought me food, drink and ice packs while I stayed on the sofa. I know a guy or two who said he was able to climb fairly hard almost immediately after the procedure, but I wouldn't count on it.

A friend offered this advice to me, which I recommend: "A day or two after, you're going to think you're feeling pretty good, like you can get up and do some things—don't."

LB Edwards · · Austin, TX · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 216

Peak MP right here.

Thank you all so much for your honest answers! I really appreciate it! Looks like i will plan for worst case scenario of hitting the hang board and getting some probably much needed rest for a couple weeks. :)

Soft Catch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

OP should have asked this in the Women's Forum.

Zach Holt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 275

I took it super easy for 48 hours and did the frozen peas. Light activity for a couple days after that and I think I felt 100% and resumed climbing after 6 or so days. I think there’s a route called Blow your Sco somewhere in which the FA did just that or was concerned about doing just that. That route name helped me fight the temptation to climb right away after feeling ready to go. 

Zach Holt wrote: I took it super easy for 48 hours and did the frozen peas. Light activity for a couple days after that and I think I felt 100% and resumed climbing after 6 or so days. I think there’s a route called Blow your Sco somewhere in which the FA did just that or was concerned about doing just that. That route name helped me fight the temptation to climb right away after feeling ready to go. 

Now i'm inspired... The first route i put up after my vasectomy will be named Scrotum if you Got 'em.

Travis S · · Texas · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 70
Matthew Wille · · North Carolina · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

10/10 times after surgeries a doc will tell you how long to rest and what you can/can’t do, and what to avoid. Just listen to the doc 

Derek Branstrom · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2002 · Points: 100

After I got snipped I ignored the doctors orders to "take it easy for a few days" and was lifting weights within a day or two. Ended up in the emergency room after passing out while going to the bathroom. Had infection (called epididymitis) which was WAY more painful than the vasectomy. Take it easy afterwards and don't rush it. Despite what others have said, you're body may not tell you the truth and although you may feel ready to get after it, your boys will thank you if you take it slow.

Carolina · · Front Range NC · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20
SinRopa wrote:

No need to have kids first.  Sometimes you just wanna burn that bridge so you’ll never need to cross it.

You guys getting paid for this?  

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262

Why would you want to do that too yourself!?!?!? Protect the fucking baby makers!!!!!

That doctor is gunna be like "NO BABIES FOR YOU!!!!"

Carolina wrote:

You guys getting paid for this?  

"The estimated cost of raising a child from birth through age 17 is $233,610 -- or as much as almost $14,000 annually, the Department of Agriculture says."

Kinda, yea.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Vasectomy + Harness?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started