Mountain Project Logo

Ski Patrollers

Original Post
Chris Johnson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15

Anyone here ski patrol?

Got invited onto a small CO hill's volunteer patrol for next year and having trouble deciding if I want to go forward or not.

Bill Mustard · · Silt, CO · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 156

Eldora?

Chris Johnson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15
Bill Mustard wrote: Eldora?

Hahaha trying to fly under the radar, but ya.

My biggest concern is potentially giving up my free weekends to not ski all that much.
Mike Mooney · · Silverthorne, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 0

I haven’t done it in decades, but there are feel good rewards for helping people that really need it.

Now I just want to yell at people to slow down and get off my yard.  

Adam K · · Loveland, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

You should do it.

It will probably be a great experience. Even if you don't get to shralp as much as you normally would, it's one season and you'll probably get to help a lot of people, learn a bunch of cool stuff, make some connections, and get some gear discounts.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
A-K wrote: You should do it.

It will probably be a great experience. Even if you don't get to shralp as much as you normally would, it's one season and you'll probably get to help a lot of people, learn a bunch of cool stuff, make some connections, and get some gear discounts.

+1

While you may not ski as much as when not a patroller, you are going to get those powder days where the only tracks are your's and your partner's, put in well before the lifts open to the public. You might even get to set off 2lb explosive charges and trigger some slides!
Peter Budden · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Yeah I volunteer at a small hill in BC. If you want to ski loads, just tell the patrol lead and they can make that happen.

You will ski great powder and you will also ski the worst conditions of the year. So if you're only interest is to get maximum skiing in, then yes lapping the lift will be more efficient. There has to be another motivation in order for ski patrol to make sense.

If you join you will be part of helping other folks stay safe and have an awesome time in the mountains. Sounds dumb - but for me, helping someone have an awesome powder day is a super awesome feeling of giving back to a community of ski enthusiasts and I can't beat it.

Jackie Sweet · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 82

Jay peak represents! I think its great but does cut into ice climbing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Ski Patrollers"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started