Mountain Project Logo

2018-2019 Colorado Ice climbing Thread

Josh Parsons · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0
Mark Ra wrote:

The city banned farming in the cañon a few yeas ago.

Was there last year 

Alex Langfield · · Colorado · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 65

Going up to ouray for Christmas, can lead WI4, WI5 if I’m real slow. Anyone going up and want a partner? 

Mark Westfall · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Alex Langfield wrote: Going up to ouray for Christmas, can lead WI4, WI5 if I’m real slow. Anyone going up and want a partner? 

What dates will you be there for?

Jonathan S · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 176

Can we please keep partner discussions for the partners' forum?

Nodin deSaillan · · Boulder · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 80

Anybody know what the snowpack is like on the Flying Dutchman?

aclayden · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 90

Facets capped by windslab would be a good guess. 

tbol · · CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 1,177

Yep, possibly some new storm snow on top of that too.  Anything over 30 degrees wants to slide right now, especially above treeline.

Greg Miller · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 30

Any word on trail conditions into Glacier Gorge (RMNP), and whether it'd be reasonable to ski in/out? I wouldn't normally ask in early December, but it's been a good winter so far.

tbol · · CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 1,177

I skied up at Banana Bowl Sunday and the trail was good.  I'm sure you could skin back into Glacier.  The beginning of the trail may be wind blown.

jselwyn · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 40

Any updates on Camp Bird?

Mic W · · Drake, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 10
Greg Miller wrote: Any word on trail conditions into Glacier Gorge (RMNP), and whether it'd be reasonable to ski in/out? I wouldn't normally ask in early December, but it's been a good winter so far.

Yes,  you'll find snow coverage the whole way

Jon E · · Longmont, CO · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 96

Anyone have any recent beta on AMU?

Bogdan Petre · · West Lebanon, NH · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 1,098
jselwyn wrote: Any updates on Camp Bird?

First pitch on the ribbon on looked out last Sunday. There's ice to climb, just didn't see evidence of any of the area classics being in. Situation may have improved in the last week though.

Mike McNeil · · Spearfish, South Dakota · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,555
Things are getting there.
Alec Berghoef · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 85
jselwyn wrote: Any updates on Camp Bird?

I was just there on Monday & tuesday, tried climbing  the Ribbon. The first pitch was very thin, I got one stubby in bad ice. The second pitch was probably WI4 X, climbable but not protectable. We bailed. BBB was definitely not in. We did climb Skylight, Slip Sliddin' Away, Chockstone Chimney, and Skillet's Revenge. All good fun and plenty of ice.

Jason Brown · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 1,072
Mike McNeil wrote:
Things are getting there.

...where.

Daxman · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 10

Anyone know what's up with pumphouse parking spot in Vail? Was closed off today. Have the climbers been officially kicked out? Not a big deal just wondering. Also, Vail is climbing well with most climbs in good shape.

Shepido · · CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 50
Daxman wrote: Anyone know what's up with pumphouse parking spot in Vail? Was closed off today. Have the climbers been officially kicked out? Not a big deal just wondering. Also, Vail is climbing well with most climbs in good shape.

No, it should just be temporary, as best as I have heard from asking anyone it was for construction, and not related to anything anyone did specifically.

Sung Baek · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

any updates on moffat tunnel or silverplume? Thanks

Laramide Erogenous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 235
Shepido wrote:

No, it should just be temporary, as best as I have heard from asking anyone it was for construction, and not related to anything anyone did specifically.

When it is back open to climbers please use it responsibly. The parking lot (from my understanding) is public but the land that you cross to access the climbs is private and there have been threats to close access to climbers because they fuck up the ski track by stepping it the tracks. Members pay to ski there and they put a lot of work into grooming the track. Although not all people stepping on the tracks are climbers (arguably the majority of people ruining the track are not climbers) we get the blame. Despite the blatant signage people are still idiots. If you see anyone trampling the tracks please kindly ask them to not be an idiot, if that doesn’t work... well, you’ve got ice tools, use them!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "2018-2019 Colorado Ice climbing Thread"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started