Mountain Project Logo

2018-2019 Colorado Ice climbing Thread

Yaroslav Lototskyy · · Longmont · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 35
Daxman wrote: Anyone know what's up with pumphouse parking spot in Vail? Was closed off today. Have the climbers been officially kicked out? Not a big deal just wondering. Also, Vail is climbing well with most climbs in good shape.

Daxman thank you for information. I have always been using this parking lot and I know that parking in Vail is tricky and in general parking on road is prohibited. Where did you park? What is your recommendation? Use official parking garage in town and take a bus? It is kind of big deal it takes lot of time to get there on weekend and any extra time to find a parking and get back to climbing area is a big deal.

Thanks,
Yaroslav
Daxman · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 10

I usually park in free lots scattered around town and take bus. Really doesn't take much extra time. There is a ton of space at gore creek trail head and you can time it out to not wait for bus and hike and ski a line when you get back to vehicle 

Alex Zachrel · · Morgantown, West Virginia · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 50
Sung Baek wrote: any updates on moffat tunnel or silverplume? Thanks

Moffats main flow is in on the right side, left is getting there and people are climbing it. Big pillar at moffat is lookin pretty fat as well. 

Mike McNeil · · Spearfish, South Dakota · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,555

Anyone seen conditions of the ice in Redstone?

Nick Andrasik · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0
Sung Baek wrote: any updates on moffat tunnel or silverplume? Thanks

North ice in and pretty nice at Moffat last weekend, south ice isn't in

Jason Brown · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 1,072
Mike McNeil wrote: Anyone seen conditions of the ice in Redstone?

Only the pillar

Just Solo · · Colorado Springs · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 80
Laramide Erogenous wrote:

When it is back open to climbers please use it responsibly. The parking lot (from my understanding) is public but the land that you cross to access the climbs is private and there have been threats to close access to climbers because they fuck up the ski track by stepping it the tracks. Members pay to ski there and they put a lot of work into grooming the track. Although not all people stepping on the tracks are climbers (arguably the majority of people ruining the track are not climbers) we get the blame. Despite the blatant signage people are still idiots. If you see anyone trampling the tracks please kindly ask them to not be an idiot, if that doesn’t work... well, you’ve got ice tools, use them!

That’s been an issue for, oh, about the last 20 years or so. There is (was anyway) a proper path to cross and I don’t know why it’s so F-ing hard to comprehend staying off the tracks. The parking right by the course used to require a parking sticker that needed to be bought at the Nordic center. Been a few years since I was there last, things may be different now.

LawHous · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 481

Any updates on BBB?

Sam Sala · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 82
LawHous wrote: Any updates on BBB?

Pic and caption from CO Ice Conditions FB page this morning.

"No ribbon, no talisman... this desertification thing is lame for ice climbing! Maybe things will improve later in the year. "

The shroud is looking good as is silverplume. Lots of loose on consolidated snow on the trail to the shroud.  Should be a little easier to walk now but it was snowing when we left. 

Tyler Stableford · · Carbondale, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 40
LawHous wrote:
Any updates on BBB?

BBB on Friday. Ice screws in only a few places; 2nd/3rd pitch pillar is just barely touching down  

Andrew McCallister · · Centennial, CO · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 20

Anyone got an update on the conditions of Hidden Falls?

Hidden had thin ice at the start and over the top a couple of Friday’s ago so it should be climbable. 

Westley Mon · · San Diego, CA · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 2

On my way to Denver area tomorrow.  Does anybody have recommendations for a half-day guide?  Never ice climbed before, but have plenty of rock climbing experience.  How are conditions right now in the Estes Park area?  Thanks in advance!

Dennis Shaver · · Estes Park, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0
Westley Mon wrote: On my way to Denver area tomorrow.  Does anybody have recommendations for a half-day guide?  Never ice climbed before, but have plenty of rock climbing experience.  How are conditions right now in the Estes Park area?  Thanks in advance!

try https://coloradomountainschool.com/ for a guide

unless you're looking to do a ton of hiking might be best to avoid estes since other than the longs trailhead all the entrances are closed down, gotta hike in.. and all the traffic that would otherwise be in the park is everywhere else that's easily accessible making it kinda feel like the summer which is a bit annoying

Alex Langfield · · Colorado · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 65

How does the rigid designator look?

Most regularly forming climbs in Vail are in and getting climbed daily including the designator. Just be mindful of parking and not walking on the cross country tracks.

Jason Brown · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 1,072
Daxman wrote: Most regularly forming climbs in Vail are in and getting climbed daily including the designator. Just be mindful of parking and not walking on the cross country tracks.

Parking open again?

Parking in Vail at pumphouse is on and off. Some days the lot is open and other days not...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "2018-2019 Colorado Ice climbing Thread"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started