Mountain Project Logo

Free park climbing near Seattle

Original Post
Tim M · · Seattle · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Recent transplant. Looking for free places to boulder and any routes/guides? I know about UW outdoor crag and Mountaineers. I hear UW is pretty worn down and I stopped by to look at Mountaineers. Anyone have more info or routes at these locations? Do they ever change up the routes? Besides Exit 38, Index, etc, what other parks or free areas are close by for week nights? Thanks

Drederek · · Olympia, WA · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 315

There’s supposed to be some secret granite crag in Renton, but I was never cool enough to get invited. There may be some info on cascadeclimbers.com

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Marymoor Park in Redmond has a free outdoor wall you can boulder or sport climb.  Nothing special but a good resource if you live close.

In regards to the secret crag in Renton....would that be the dry tooling crag on 900, back side of cougar mountain?  It’s in the new Snoqualmie Rock book.  If so, not so secret anymore 

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

So confused...are you talking about crags or parks with rock walls? There's a free rock wall in north bend with super polished holds and wasps flying in and out of the cracks. 

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

The rain and darkness are coming; it is almost November. Get some skis and a climbing gym membership to get through the next 5-6 months.

Kyle Elliott wrote: So confused...are you talking about crags or parks with rock walls? There's a free rock wall in north bend with super polished holds and wasps flying in and out of the cracks. 

Mostly parks with walls. I can ride my bike to UW and Mountaineers so that’s of particular interest. I know there is an archived Route Guide for UW but can’t find an online copy. Wondering if anyone knows more. I see there’s another similar park over in Redmond, someone stated above. Same idea, any predefined and rated routes?

Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 8,191

I've never seen an outdoor, free-use wall as good as the UW practice rock, particularly for learning to jam. There used to be a good bouldering guidebook for it as well, but I don't know where to find it.

Some folks do traverses of the Volunteer Park tower, though they now have signs posted against climbing on it. See the Seattle-area crags here:
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/108471749/seattle-and-seattle-eastside 

Aaron Nash · · North Bend, WA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 212

UW rock is the best training ground for climbing in Seattle. It may look old (it is) and scary, but it's legit. There's a guide out there somewhere for problems on it (I think it's on the FB group?), or just ask some of the faithful who are always there and they'll show you problems. It just got scrubbed, so it's even nicer now. If I still lived in the city, I'd be there...

No more wasps in the rock in NB, but if you're coming all the way out here why not little si or X38?

Jon Nelson wrote: I've never seen an outdoor, free-use wall as good as the UW practice rock, particularly for learning to jam. There used to be a good bouldering guidebook for it as well, but I don't know where to find it.

Some folks do traverses of the Volunteer Park tower, though they now have signs posted against climbing on it. See the Seattle-area crags here:
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/108471749/seattle-and-seattle-eastside 

I found the Facebook group for the UW Husky Rock. They have the old guidebook facebook.com/media/set/?set…;type=1

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Free park climbing near Seattle "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started