Mountain Project Logo

Ticks as a route pyramid

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

I think 11d should be higher on the pyramid than 12a. We all know 11d is harder. 

Kirtis Courkamp · · Golden · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 378

As a mostly trad climber, I find tracking my stats very important even more so than sports climbing because grade progression takes more time.  I love data and this is very interesting but lots of the multipitches unfortunately locked up as one data point otherwise I think this pyramid would look way different. 

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

It would also be nice if the climbs could be filtered by TR/Sport/Trad--I TR a lot of stuff that I can barely get on, so my route pyramid looks more like a route hourglass since it includes those TR routes.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
ViperScale . wrote:

They must all be lost into a giant pyramid. Graded routes are rarely the same grade. Lets face it you go climb a 10a on east coast and west coast and they will be completely different styles of climbing based on whatever someone felt like at that time. Sure maybe the high end new routes being set may have a little more balance in them because only a few people can climb them but most routes just aren't.

You seem to be swinging at imaginary windmills. A 5.10 crack feels different than 5.10 slab and 5.10 overhang? Sandstone 5.10a feels different than limestone 5.10a or granite 5.10a? OMG, who would have thought!

But that is not at all the point of the pyramid. A grade pyramid is just a grade pyramid. Individual climber might have completely different goals, and their routes on those pyramids might be completely different, even if the grades are the same, because one climber is trying to build a pyramid for his goal of sending an overhanging 5.12a at the RRG, while the other guy is building up to send a 5.12a crack at Indian Creek.

So what? The point isn't to compare the size of your pyramid to anyone else. The point is to look at your climbing using a variety of metrics. If you want to, of course.

And the current app doesn't do anything fundamentally different than the MP tick list. But if the app could make separate pyramids for onsight/flash, and onsight/flash/redpoint leaving out hangdogs, or TRs, or allowing people to customize their setting however they choose, that would be mice.

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Who needs to see the graph, it's all in my head!

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

why would you even have ticks on Mtn project???  Keep a climbing journal on real paper. it  will outlast digital media, you can access it without a signal and it actually serves a purpose other than spray. 

Nick Goldsmith wrote:

why would you even have ticks on Mtn project???  Keep a climbing journal on real paper. it  will outlast digital media, you can access it without a signal and it actually serves a purpose other than spray. 

Climbing journal serves a completely different purpose, and it is a really good thing to keep. But you wouldn't be able to answer a question of 'how many pitches did I do in the past year?' or "how many new routes of grade X have I done in the past 12 months?" without some effort. Sure, you could keep an excel spreadsheet, in addition to a paper climbing journal... But if there is an easy platform available for you online, why not?

Just like you can keep a running journal, and enter results manually into it from your pedometer, yet people like using apps such as map my run, or fitbit data, or whatever...

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

1. "Keep a climbing journal on real paper. it  will outlast digital media" - This statement is completely false. Paper will not outlast the internet. I can't "lose" my MP tick list. You can lose your journal. If I'm worried about MP going down, I can export my tick list to Excel.  

2. "you can access it without a signal" - You can access the MP app and ticks without signal. 

3. "it actually serves a purpose" - An MP tick list and a paper journal serve the same purpose: to document climbing progress and accomplishments over time. 

4."other than spray" - It would be nice if you could make ticks private, but who really cares? It isn't spray if someone goes and looks at MY ticks. 

Go Back to Super Topo · · Lex · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 285

Dammit, now I have to keep track of my climbs!

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

You  will be supprised at how much stuff can disappear in the digital media world.   Website goes down, its gone.  hard drives crash, you lose intrest in a website like RC.noob and forget your log in info and the yahoo email it was attached to.. a few decades go by and you wonder where those photos are..... Can't get into Smug mug because now they want $$$ or they go under and are gone.  I have a bunch of stuff from 03 to 06 that is saved in  a really old version of I photo that I can no longer open.  I have tons of stuff on CDs and DVDs that I likely will not be able to read in another 5 years.  Tons of stuff in these huge old external drives that are configured to mac and also saved in I photo...  If Its really important. wedding photos, kids, FA's etc. print a hard copy on archival paper. Gaurenteed to outlast digital media......

acbergan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 10

I added some filters so now the app is a bit more interactive and interesting. Thanks for the suggestions!

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

How does your program count 'fell/hung' routes?

Because I don't think I've redpointed as many harder routes as my display suggests.

acbergan wrote:

I added some filters so now the app is a bit more interactive and interesting. Thanks for the suggestions!

Its better. But your pyramid automatically adjusts the width based on the bottom rung (I think based on the bottom rung), so the " width" corresponding to 1 climb changes depending on the parameters the user sets, and you can't easily figure out if the bar at the top of the pyramid corresponds to 1 climb, 4 climbs, or what.

Tim McGivern · · Medford, ma · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 12,579

This is a pretty fun idea. How is it that the bar chart that MP provides is not good enough? I think I like it better to tell you the truth. 

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

Ok, this is neat!  Thanks for sharing and creating!  

I've not read all of the comments..  but a few suggestions/requests?

1) I usually rate (using the stars) climbs I do and I dont do the "ticks".  Could this be an added feature to create the pyramid to?

2) Could there be a filter based on location (e.g., New River Gorge vs Yosemite)?   I would like to see how I climb different grades at different locations.

3) Could an app be created for a gym.  For example, I climb at "Yosemite Valley Climbing Gym for Gumbies" and I could log on a daily basis which grades I climb.  It would be neat if there was a time filter to see overall or by month.

4) I guess I'm gonna have to start including "Ticks" :-P

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398

This doesn't appear to work with the new site update.

Lee Payne · · Austin, TX · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 102

Confirmed no longer working.

Anus Herder · · Colona, CO · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 4,726

Aye, This app doesnt seem to be working anymore.. cool idea though!

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103
Lena chita wrote:

It would be cool if your tick pyramid knew to count only redpoint/onsight/flash ticks, and not include the hangdog ticks, as it currently does.

user error, we need to implement a training plan.  :)

Jaime Curtis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 172

Your app doesn't seem to work anymore - looks like it's because the call to your backend doesn't return any routes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Ticks as a route pyramid"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started