Mountain Project Logo

New Climbing Fiction Book on Kickstarter

Original Post
Chris Kalman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 651

Hi Mountain Project,

I just wanted to share the kickstarter campaign I am running for a book I wrote, called As Above, So Below. It's a fictional story about a climbing accident, set in Argentine Patagonia. The book will be short - about the length of Old Man and the Sea (or a little shorter) - and will feature beautiful illustrations courtesy of Craig Muderlak, whose incredible work has been featured in Alpinist, the American Alpine Journal, and elsewhere. The book will be hardbound, nearly pocket-sized, with a cover designed and illustrated by Sharp End publishing's very talented graphic designer, Sarah Nicholson

So far, in just ten days, the campaign has raised 118% of the initial backing goal of $8500! This has been both surprising, and really heart-warming to me. I am incredibly humbled, and touched by the massive support and outreach this project has generated.

If you are interested, you can check out the project here

A mock up of the cover - the text and illustration will be a gold foil stamp on a dark-colored cloth cover:

An example of Craig's work:

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Nice! Good luck with your project. Way, way, BITD, I helped put together two books, working out pagination, signatures, all before digital anything, except primitive typesetting that still had to be pasted up by hand. It was quite fun, but I don't miss it.

It's still nice to see people going after carefully produced books, though!

Best, OLH

Old lady H wrote:

Nice! Good luck with your project. Way, way, BITD, I helped put together two books, working out pagination, signatures, all before digital anything, except primitive typesetting that still had to be pasted up by hand. It was quite fun, but I don't miss it.

It's still nice to see people going after carefully produced books, though!

Best, OLH

Thanks, OLH. That actually sounds really nice, to me. I guess I kind of dream of a world in which I could just tap away on a typewriter and put the thing in the mail and collect a modest living and that would be that. But I'm sure I'm idealizing it.

Chris Kalman wrote:

Thanks, OLH. That actually sounds really nice, to me. I guess I kind of dream of a world in which I could just tap away on a typewriter and put the thing in the mail and collect a modest living and that would be that. But I'm sure I'm idealizing it.

Well, stick with it, if it's what you enjoy. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of pro writers on here, but I think it's more technical stuff. 

I do know we have one writer of rather good novels, as I'm one of his readers. :-)

I was an artist for a long time, and what I say to aspiring artists, or anyone who actually produces an original anything, is that there is always someone out there making money at it, cranking out crap. So don't sell yourself short or be shy about asking what you think you should get.

There are a couple people I know of doing the patronage thing. That is both very old, but quite new, and I think an excellent idea. I don't support anyone in that direct manner right now, but it is something I've thought about. 

Best, Helen

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

May want to consider a different name because there is a movie named that so anyone trying to search for a book will likely never find it.

Helen - thanks for the advice, and the kind words. It's easy to get down on your work, especially when you think some of the stuff you see up there falls short of your own high standards. Fortunately, this kickstarter has been incredibly affirming for me! I can't believe how many people have come out in support of it.

ViperScale - I noticed that. I think I'm going to stick with the title, just because for me it says a lot about the book itself... I can't think of a more fitting title for it. Also, I imagine not too many people will be searching for this online - probably direct word of mouth marketing will drive most sales. But thanks for your suggestion!

Congratulations on getting your project completed. Must feel great to have the book in hand!

Best, OLH

Old lady H wrote: Congratulations on getting your project completed. Must feel great to have the book in hand!

Best, OLH

Thanks Helen! It does feel good, excellent in fact.

I may be doing a reading in Boise on my way out west in July sometime! If so, I'll let you know.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "New Climbing Fiction Book on Kickstarter"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started