Mountain Project Logo

BD / Joe Kinder / ???

Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60

"Black Diamond has a zero tolerance policy towards bullying of any kind. In the past 24 hours, we have unfortunately become aware that this line has been crossed by one of our athletes.⠀
Though we have enjoyed working with Joe Kinder on a professional level, his recent personal decisions and actions on social media have strayed from our core values.⠀
It is with difficulty that we announce that Joe Kinder is no longer a member of our Black Diamond team.
We are committed to continuing to support the incredible women and men making a positive impact in our community."

Anyone know what's going on?

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

Look at Courtney Sander's IG account. She called him out for harassing her and Sasha D from a fake account. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

DRAMA!!??!?!

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

Joe had a burner account he used to make funny/not funny memes directed towards other climbers, in this case Sasha and Courtney Sanders. They called it bullying and the internet went crazy. I suspect there's tons of behind the scenes beef and drama that came to a spearhead with his most recent post.

The outrage police coming in hot was disgusting to watch. I also 100% don't agree with Black Diamond's decision. But at the same time, I get it. 

Morty Gwin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

He should have been chopped when he chopped the tree. 

Alan Coon · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 350

Yeah makes sense. See ya buddy. 

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422
Joe Kinder wrote: My personal ethic is that I'd like my social media to represent who I am in real life and I believe it does.
B SK · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0
Joe Kinder wrote: My personal ethic is that I'd like my social media to represent who I am in real life and I believe it does.

Taking everything into consideration, that is a really stupid thing to say.

Eric Fjellanger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 870
Kyle Elliott wrote:The outrage police coming in hot was disgusting to watch.

Not as disgusting as the misogyny we're gonna see in this thread, I'll bet.

Steve Sangdahl · · eldo sprngs, co · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 735

Joe "who" ?

Timothy Case · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Generally not into the whiny "my feelings hurt" kind of public message, but it seems as though there was some behind the scenes efforts on their part to get him to lay off, so that sucks.  If you rep an organization that employs you, I really feel like you're their ambassador 24-7 and should prob act as such...harassment is in the eye of the beholder...

Live Perched · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 21

No one has sympathy for a ~40 year old man picking on a ~25 year old woman. DUMB.  

Losing sponsor money from a top tier sponsor because he got caught using a fake account to be a jerk...extra DUMB. 

Kinder will have to work very hard to get that money somewhere else. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Happy reading:
https://www.reddit.com/r/climbing/comments/8gtawf/i_never_really_had_a_problem_with_joe_kinder_but/

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Yeah it seems like he was really being a dick and kept doing it after repeated attempts to settle it offline.  Sponsorship is a double edged sword...if you represent their brand, you have to behave yourself and maintain a professional image.  I don’t know what caused him to go after Sasha DiGiulian in this way, but it definitely didn’t look good for him.

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
K Weber wrote: This has to be a joke.  Seems so fake and over the top.  I don't know either of them but a quick trip through their IG accounts shows you that that are just out for themselves.

How many posts and pictures does someone need that straight up say "look at me, look at me, I have great T&A, ect"??!!??

T1

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Just got an email that all the BD athletes would be route setting at one of the local gyms. I am guessing Joe will not be there.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

I hate Trolls.  No problem with him getting fired  for being a troll that harasses women. 

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

I’m glad he didn’t lose his sponsors over the tree incident. People make mistakes and in his enormcast it seemed like he had really learned a lot.

But now that he has created bad internet publicity for the second time, this time for harassing younger women, I think their decision is completely understandable and appropriate. 

Hmmm.... couldn't find what got him fired but that guy always gave me the impression that he's a dumb bro. Regardless of what he said/did was actually out of line doesn't matter, what matters is that you don't do anything that might piss off your sponsor.

I don't think he's actually a bully though, just a dumbass.  The "bully" term is tossed around a bit too liberally nowadays. Although, he's so dumb he might have crossed the line without knowing it...wait am I bullying Joey now?!?!?

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20
Tradiban wrote: Hmmm.... couldn't find what got him fired but that guy always gave me the impression that he's a dumb bro. Regardless of what he said/did was actually out of line doesn't matter, what matters is that you don't do anything that might piss off your sponsor.

I don't think he's actually a bully though, just a dumbass.  The "bully" term is tossed around a bit too liberally nowadays. Although, he's so dumb he might have crossed the line without knowing it...wait am I bullying Joey now?!?!?

No, just being dumb

trailridge wrote:

No, just being dumb

Hey! Don't bully me!

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started