Mountain Project Logo

Valle Azteca - Baja California sport climbing

Original Post
Randy Zzyzx · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 25

Has anyone been?

I just got back from spending the weekend there and it was great. I live in San Diego and had been looking to do some climbing in Baja. It was so fun, stoked to go back. I also added some info to the page and a quick write-up in the comments.

I didn't but I imagine he was part of the large group climbing the Shield area. I ran into a group with two Pablos from Ensenada and climbed with a Tomas. Out of the climbs we did, all of the bolts were in great condition. 

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

Ha! Sounds like it's changed a bit. Think we climbed there in the late 90's...rusted bolts and all. It was a good time though with ranchera blasting from the field/arena below.

We used to camp on the cliffs above the beach to the right of La Mision. It that still happening? Last time I was there a restaurant had been added on the cliffs and many cinder block homes had been built there too...but in the early 90's it was a great place for us to surf, party and camp.....

Randy Vogel produced a guide to the place. It may be outdated now but it's a cool little guide. If you reach out to him, he may have one for sale.

It's still pretty much the same haha, including the rancheras and the campground. The camp you're referring to is Alisito's and it's still kickin'. Awesome sea cliff camping, only 200 pesos per night. There are a bunch of good restaurants on the same street as the entrance.

I found a small write-up Randy did for a climbing mag from the 90s online and I posted the sheets up on the main "Valle Azteca" page, I heard from some people I ran into down there that that's all that really exists, still haven't seen an actual book.

Here' a link: mountainproject.com/area/10…

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

It's an OK place to visit once. I have the old guide Ill post it up shortly.

Thanks for sharing Jeff. I've posted the topos and route descriptions from Randy V. on the main Valle Azteca page for people to use as a guide. Easy approach, fun climbs if you lead in the 5.10-11 range, awesome beach camping, great food in the area, and close to San Diego. Classic Baja experience and climbing as, unlikely as it may be, was a fun combo.

Randy · · Lassitude 33 · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,279

Since it seems that not a lot has changed (except perhaps bolt upgrades), I do still have a number of copies of the Valle Azteca guidebook if anyone has an interest. Message me.

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

^I'm pretty sure Randy would sign those copies too...

did all the routes in 2 days 199? never went back.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Valle Azteca - Baja California sport climbing "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started