Mountain Project Logo

Rope colors?

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

For those of you who climb with double ropes, do you use the two different colors in particular ways? For instance, the pink rope is always the left one? I thought of this looking at ice climbing photos. The ropes are almost always two very bright colors, easily distinguished.

Just curious. Again. :-)

Best, H.

Stein Pull · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

Nope. But I do communicate to my partner which is on the right before starting to climb. 

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

I do. Beal IceLine's - Right on red. The neon pink/red line is always tied on the right side of my harness when using doubles for repel purposes. This lets me know which side to pull through the anchor,

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

right = red

The rope is actually some sort of pink/purple color, but but when I say "red" people always know what I'm talking about and the letter R mnemonic is helpful.

Wiggle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Not so much color, but someone once told me they buy ropes with different sounding names (that is, one is monosyllabic and the other is polysyllabic - e.g. not green and red, but green and or-ange), so that they can distinguish the difference when asking for more or less rope

Ian Machen · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 35

I've got an orange and a purple set. It helps on rappel. "Pull on purple"

acrophobe · · Orange, CT · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 0

I, too, have always done red on right while leading (like the boaters "red, right, return" mnemonic).

I pull blue on the first rap, but am then alternating on multipitch, since the first one down is setting up the pull side for the next rap.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Red is right, pull red.. then blue, back to red.

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,978

All above is sage advice.  On a bit of another color thought...I used to use solid color ropes only (all you could get) and that worked.  After using a bicolor rope, I will now always pay the extra and never go back to solids.  I have a green bicolor and red bicolor.  Single pitch, multipitch, route setting and using the other end as the tag, there are so many advantages.

Andrew Yasso · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 215

Pulling Purple

Rapping Red

Bailing on Blue

Yanking Yellow

Tugging Tan

Grabbing Green

Orienting/Oscillating Orange (this one took me longer to figure out than I would like to admit)

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Kyle Tarry wrote:

No.

+1

For rock or ice. 

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

No but we make sure we both are talking about the same colour scheme first (the body or the tracers).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Rope colors?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started