Mountain Project Logo

Rope colors?

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 768

For those of you who climb with double ropes, do you use the two different colors in particular ways? For instance, the pink rope is always the left one? I thought of this looking at ice climbing photos. The ropes are almost always two very bright colors, easily distinguished.

Just curious. Again. :-)

Best, H.

Stein Pull · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

Nope. But I do communicate to my partner which is on the right before starting to climb. 

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

I do. Beal IceLine's - Right on red. The neon pink/red line is always tied on the right side of my harness when using doubles for repel purposes. This lets me know which side to pull through the anchor,

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 127

right = red

The rope is actually some sort of pink/purple color, but but when I say "red" people always know what I'm talking about and the letter R mnemonic is helpful.

Wiggle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Not so much color, but someone once told me they buy ropes with different sounding names (that is, one is monosyllabic and the other is polysyllabic - e.g. not green and red, but green and or-ange), so that they can distinguish the difference when asking for more or less rope

Ian Machen · · Carson City, NV · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 35

I've got an orange and a purple set. It helps on rappel. "Pull on purple"

acrophobe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 0

I, too, have always done red on right while leading (like the boaters "red, right, return" mnemonic).

I pull blue on the first rap, but am then alternating on multipitch, since the first one down is setting up the pull side for the next rap.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Red is right, pull red.. then blue, back to red.

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 7,505

All above is sage advice.  On a bit of another color thought...I used to use solid color ropes only (all you could get) and that worked.  After using a bicolor rope, I will now always pay the extra and never go back to solids.  I have a green bicolor and red bicolor.  Single pitch, multipitch, route setting and using the other end as the tag, there are so many advantages.

Andrew Yasso · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 215

Pulling Purple

Rapping Red

Bailing on Blue

Yanking Yellow

Tugging Tan

Grabbing Green

Orienting/Oscillating Orange (this one took me longer to figure out than I would like to admit)

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Kyle Tarry wrote:

No.

+1

For rock or ice. 

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

No but we make sure we both are talking about the same colour scheme first (the body or the tracers).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Rope colors?"