Mountain Project Logo

cougars in the 'Dacks?

Original Post
Ben Brotelho · · Albany, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 520

and I don't mean good looking older women, but if you know where they are that would be nice too :P

I saw some cat-tracks (2 inches, probably bob cat) in the Catskills yesterday, and it got me thinking about some much bigger cat-tracks me and a friend saw in the Adirondacks on a snowy trail.

I know this is a hot-topic and I was wondering what the mountain project community thinks. I am skeptical, but also think it'd be totally bad ass if we had lions running around the 'Dacks!

I also believe I have seen one in Oswego, NY, right next to the harbor.

I'm not great at identifying tracks either. The big cat tracks I saw were CLEARLY cat tracks (4 digits, one big fat pad, with claws.)

These look less rounded and more long...coyotes maybe? or some type of weasel. I've seen wild weasels by marcy dam before, not sure what type though. Marten maybe?

Tim M · · none · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 293

those don't look like cat tracks. maybe a porcupine? it kinda hard to tell from the pic.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

This may have been what it was:

In that case, just make an Elder Sign and leave immediately.
Dave Meyers · · Evergreen, CO · Joined May 2006 · Points: 512
Ben Botelho wrote:I'm not great at identifying tracks either. The big cat tracks I saw were CLEARLY cat tracks (4 digits, one big fat pad, with claws.)
All felines have retractable claws, which they only expose while in use capturing prey. What makes cat tracks distinguishable is the fact that they have NO claw imprints. All other mammals (fox, coyote, weasle, bear, etc.) would leave claw imprints.
Carl Sherven · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 210
Ben Botelho wrote:and I don't mean good looking older women
That's as far as I got.
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

The tracks in the photo look like the dreaded "snow baskets" on trekking poles. I think they grow wild in the Northeast!

Ryan A. Williams · · Burlington, VT · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 55

Regardless of these tracks, I've spent three Summers in the Adirondacks, and although I've never had any encounters out there, I talked to a number of locals who swore they were still out in the North Country.

Well...I must have been seeing things with the claws then, because they were definitely cat tracks. I didn't even think of the retractable claws, however I wonder if they also employ those claws for some traction in variable conditions...like a natural crampon?

steverett · · Boston, MA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105
Ben Botelho wrote: The big cat tracks I saw were CLEARLY cat tracks (4 digits, one big fat pad, with claws.)
This might help you identify if what you saw were cougar tracks.

You said about 2", so probably bobcat tracks then.
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

How old and attractive are these cougars'? Mid 40's or so is OK with me, and a plus if they are a climber.

Citsalp · · . . . CO · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 371

These are the typical lion tracks I've seen (notice fox tracks following along hoping for scraps).

Saw a big lion yesterday. I was about 15' from him (he was hiding in some thin brush and behind some pine limbs. Had some awesome eye contact for a few dozen seconds. It was the biggest lion I've ever seen, and at first thought it was a mule deer!

Nice kitty.

One of our local lions.

Louis Eubank · · Portland, ME · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 181

If you are interested in knowing more about tracks / scat (beyond random Wiki searches),

amazon.com/Mammal-Tracks-Si…

is an excellent book to purchase. A bit heavy and dense, but when the weather sucks for climbing, its a ton of fun to hike around and see what you can find.

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

^^ I think I would piss myself if I was out in the woods and saw a big cat 15 feet from me. Though I suppose if he had wanted to eat you he would have already clamped down on your neck before you even knew it was there.

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35

More about cheetahs -
columbuszoocheetahs.wordpre…
predatorconservation.com/ch…
Only semi-retractable claws.

Travis Dustin · · Mexico Maine · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,665

I dont know that area very well but here in New Hampshire there is atleast one we know of. It most likely only travels thru looking for food but they are around. Their territory is huge about 500 sq miles so maybe it wanders out that way too. They tracks you saw are way too small to be a mountain lion tho.

€ $t0& 960 €® · · Colorado · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 55

chick=teens and 20's, puma=30's, cougar=40's , jaguar=50's and up. so that everyone is clear.

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616

There are wolves and likely cougars in the Adirondacks. Wolves have been confirmed, cougars (because they tend to be solitary) are much harder to find unless one gets hit by a car or found dead by hunters/hikers. Finding fresh cougar tracks would be a crap shoot as it doesn't take much snow to cover them and it snows frequently in the ADKs.

Chris Little · · Albuquerque N.M. · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
Dana Bartlett wrote: All felines have retractable claws, which they only expose while in use capturing prey. What makes cat tracks distinguishable is the fact that they have NO claw imprints. All other mammals (fox, coyote, weasle, bear, etc.) would leave claw imprints. Cheetahs have claws that don't retract, yes?

Yes

DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 922

Bobcat track for comparison. You can see the snowshoe like track of the fur on the foot around the pad as well.

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 804

There was a mountain lion confirmed in RI (DNA from scat) and one confirmed in CT (hit by car). It may have been the same cat.  So they are probably in the Daks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/13/nyregion/mountain-lion-is-found-in-connecticut.html.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "cougars in the 'Dacks?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.