Mountain Project Logo

REI Dividend Day

Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,541
Lena chita wrote:

Lots of cc's these days have a 1% back deal, and usually cash. So why choose an REI card that gives you the $$ back that you can only use at REI?

My AmEx offers 3% back of groceries, 2% back or restaurants, gas, and travel, and 1% on everything else. As cash back.
My Costco VISA has 4% back on gas, 3% on travel and restaurants, 2% at Costco, and 1% everywhere else. As Costco cash back, but you do don't have to spend all of it at costco. You can walk in with your $200 rewards certificate, buy $20 worth of stuff, and get $180 back as cash.

Obviously I use AmEx at the grocery stores, the VISA at the gas stations and restaurants/travel, and whichever I pull out first at other places. And I charge pretty much everything, and pay in full every month, I like having the convenience of all my monthly spending in an easy-to-export format.

Sweet blog, maybe crosspost on nerdwallet.com?

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

$40.something.  But that might have been a combination over a few years.  I rarely go there anymore.  Only thing I bought recently was a shade tent and boots that I managed to leave at home on our last trip.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70
Baba Fats wrote:

$40.something.  But that might have been a combination over a few years.  I rarely go there anymore.  Only thing I bought recently was a shade tent and boots that I managed to leave at home on our last trip.

Almost positive it doesn't roll over. 

Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

Just put my $0.12 dividend against a new wiregate biner. It'll be here Monday... not sure I can handle the excitement and anticipation.

Jared M · · Oakland, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 145
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

Almost positive it doesn't roll over. 

I was unsure and just checked their FAQ:

Q) When Does My Annual Dividend Expire?
A) Your dividend expires on Jan. 3, just under two years after it has been issued. For example, your 2018 dividend earned on 2017 purchases will expire in January 2020.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
Marc801 C wrote:

1. I buy just enough at REI to justify it.

2. You can request your dividend in cash after July 1 - no requirement to use it only at REI.

I didn't know about #2. But I am curious about #1. What do you buy at REI? I am asking because there is an REI opening locally in couple months, before now the closest store has been 2 hrs away. And there is a lot of excitement in the community about it. But the other day I was talking with my partner, and we were thinking, what would we buy there, now that we are about to have this as an option? And nothing comes to mind...

I have an REI brand sleeping bag, bought ~20 years ago in REI store in Madison, WI. Don't have anything bad to say about it, it has served me well, even if it is now just a summer bag. I think my first-ever tent was purchased in REI, too, 20+ years ago, not REI brand, it was one of their clearance sales of open-box merchandise.

But I am pretty sure I can find online a better deal on anything sold at REI that is not an REI brand. They never have the clothes in my size in stock. And if they have to special-order, there is no advantage over buying online. So... just some incidentals that I might run out of, and need to buy as the last-minute thing? I'm not even sure what those incidentals might be... those dehydrated pouches of backpacking food? And some REI-brand items when they are a good deal?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Lena chita wrote:

I didn't know about #2. But I am curious about #1. What do you buy at REI? I am asking because there is an REI opening locally in couple months, before now the closest store has been 2 hrs away. And there is a lot of excitement in the community about it. But the other day I was talking with my partner, and we were thinking, what would we buy there, now that we are about to have this as an option? And nothing comes to mind...

I have an REI brand sleeping bag, bought ~20 years ago in REI store in Madison, WI. Don't have anything bad to say about it, it has served me well, even if it is now just a summer bag. I think my first-ever tent was purchased in REI, too, 20+ years ago, not REI brand, it was one of their clearance sales of open-box merchandise.

But I am pretty sure I can find online a better deal on anything sold at REI that is not an REI brand. They never have the clothes in my size in stock. And if they have to special-order, there is no advantage over buying online. So... just some incidentals that I might run out of, and need to buy as the last-minute thing? I'm not even sure what those incidentals might be... those dehydrated pouches of backpacking food? And some REI-brand items when they are a good deal?

Of course it's different for each individual. The big ticket items I've purchased over the past few years:

* new Thule ski box - I bought a Jeep with a 3.5" lift and 33" tires. My old, taller box, on top of the racks I installed on the Jeep is too tall for my garage door opening.

* 6 person Marmot tent and two cots - my wife has artificial knees and I have over 63000 miles on mine - crawling in/out of a tent is now painful, so we wanted something large enough to walk into and not sleep at ground level

* back country AT ski boots

* a 70M 9.8 Stirling rope

Other than that, I buy most of my clothing at outdoor shops. Shoes, too.

I know a lot of people complain about the selection of climbing gear, but for me, I have more than I need.

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I bought my first pair of boots there 10 years ago.  They are still great.  Second pair, too (as stated in my above post).  First pair climbing shoes (even though they seem to be slowly limiting their options).  Shade tents, camping grills, a few pairs of pants on clearance.  I don’t have s good outdoor store near me that I know of.  So REI is a good option.  

Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 472
Matt Bentley wrote:

Anyone know if they are doing the 20% off coupon codes this year?

Does anyone know if coupon codes are coming out this year? The garage sale is coming up, but I want to use those coupons on some new shoes if they are offering them this year!

Also, my  dividend was ~35, mostly from garage sale items purchased on the credit card with a couple of full price carabiners and other doodads I purchased one at a time. REI is cheaper for some things you don't have to pay shipping for (i.e. single carabiners).

Dante L · · Seattle · Joined May 2015 · Points: 15

My non climbing related job requires me to purchase lots of climbing hardware on the company credit card. Rei is my vendor of choice for  the obvious reason, embarrassed to tell how much my anual dividend is -)

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Dante L wrote:

My non climbing related job requires me to purchase lots of climbing hardware on the company credit card. Rei is my vendor of choice for  the obvious reason, embarrassed to tell how much my anual dividend is -)

Aw, come on, now you have to tell!

Fernando Cal · · SLC, UT · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25
Eric L wrote:

Full $12.55 for me, think I'll get more chalk.  Didn't go the REI credit card route, I prefer a 1.5% cash back card and spend the rewards anywhere (not locked into REI stuff).

If you wait a bit (2-3 months), you can get a check for your REI dividend amount (or cash from the store) so you CAN use that money elsewhere. That's what i do. 

Also, I rarely buy at REI, i use the REI card only on groceries (2% cash back) and another 2% cash back card for everything else. I get enough money each year for xmas presents all around. 

REI dividend this year was about $200-ish. 

Edit: Also, I should wait to read the whole thread before replying...lesson learned, not

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

one thing that is annoying with the dividend is that the 20% off coupon is dated a couple weeks after you get the dividend.  i don't seem to remember it being like this, i think the 20% off coupon used to be good when you received the dividend.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
slim wrote:

one thing that is annoying with the dividend is that the 20% off coupon is dated a couple weeks after you get the dividend.  i don't seem to remember it being like this, i think the 20% off coupon used to be good when you received the dividend.

Well, you can always just wait to spend the dividend...

Steve Skarvinko · · SLC, UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 25

Available dividend: $218.14

Ski boots, bindings, poles, ski bag, small pack and a big furry hat.... I couldn't find the boots or bindings less than retail anywhere else, so decided to go to REI to get a fat dividend. Then I broke my thumb skiing... womp, womp. Perhaps I'll cash out to fund PT? 

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

Well, you can always just wait to spend the dividend...

for a lot of folks it is really close to spring break, so it would be nice to be able to use the 20% off on that new rope/cam/whatever before vacation.  not a huge deal for me, i am not in a huge hurry or anything, but it would have been nice to just go get it done earlier.  seems weird to wait on the coupon.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

It might be that they’re trying to catch people with the “it’s not my money...I’m basically paying X after the dividend” logic, although that backfired because I almost spent my dividend on a C3 until I realized that the out of pocket price was actually cheaper on backcountry...

rock hopper · · San Diego, CA · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 0

Last year we got the "$20 off when you spend $100 or more" email on March 19 and the "20% off any full price item" email on March 25.  Just today (March 16) we got the $20 off email, so my guess is that we'll get the 20% off coupon  sometime around March 22.

Sam D · · CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 150

$82.50.  Can't even think of one thing I bought from REI in the last year... My mental accounting isn't that great.

rees labree · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 314
reboot wrote:

It's 1% on non-REI purchases that can only be redeemed once a year. AND there is a 2% foreign transaction fee. I earned more rewards (as monthly statement credits) than the OP on my 1.5% on ANY purchase, no foreign transaction fee CC and I bet I spent less than the OP overall.

it pays to discover

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "REI Dividend Day"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.