Mountain Project Logo

WANTED Full-Time Paramedics in Bishop, CA

Original Post
Langus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

NEEDED! Full-Time paramedic in Bishop, CA for Symons ambulance. Symons is the only paid ambulance service in the Owens Valley and runs 911 calls in and around Bishop. Shifts are 24hrs at a time and with an average call volume ~5 calls/day most people stack shifts to build the ultimate outdoor enthusiasts' dream schedule. Full time is 10 shifts/mo. We currently have a great crew of young, positive and outdoor driven folks-the only problem is we don't have enough! Company offers 24hr pay, fuel reimbursement for travel to work, health/dental/vision and 401K coming soon. Pay dependent upon experience but starts at $418/shift. Please contact for further details, serious inquires only. 

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Symons-Ambulance/jobs/Paramedic-cb3d6af5599ac910?sjdu=Zzi_VW2ygsY1fzh3Ma9ZsE4zIT1NTXCwgFBhdjeTC3N4v0UOnwPvBdmXtXVbfZc2TRu3_H03Y2hPedx_dT4RKQ&tk=1c7h87ltqbqp3eun&vjs=3

Timothy Carlson · · NorCal · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

Hi! I’m not a Paramedic, but is there any need for EMT basics?

Mic W · · Drake, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 10

$418 per 24 hour shift? 

No wonder they need paramedics. High stress, rapid burnout rate,  and a pay rate on par with fast food.

Edit:

Moderators, this guy's only activity here has been to spam this same job add in 4 places on the forum. I don't think he's here for the community,  can we get a boot? 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

You can count on some people on MP to say "that pay is terrible."

Thanks for posting. There may be someone who appreciates the opportunity.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Micaiah W wrote:

$418 per 24 hour shift? 

No wonder they need paramedics. High stress, rapid burnout rate,  and a pay rate on par with fast food.

Edit:

Moderators, this guy's only activity here has been to spam this same job add in 4 places on the forum. I don't think he's here for the community,  can we get a boot? 

Yes, but if you weren’t aware of these things before you became a paramedic you didn’t do your research.  

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Micaiah W wrote:

$418 per 24 hour shift? 

Edit:

Your fast food people get paid 17.41 per hour??? Total of 50160 per year (given you are working alot more hours than a fast food person would so...)

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Micaiah W wrote:

$418 per 24 hour shift? 

Edit:

Seems like the pay is 4180/month to do 10x 24hr shifts, during which time you answer about 5 calls-- seems like pretty good pay to me.... 

Mic W · · Drake, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 10

Hours past 8 in a day or 40 in a week are overtime, so it actually comes out to a base pay rate of 12.75 or so per hour. 

Years of school and field practice are required to be a paramedic.

36% depression rates. 

Inordinately high suicide rates.

High rate of burnouts,  means finding a new career at middle age as a jaded adult. 

The pay just isn't commensurate with the human cost. 

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195
Micaiah W wrote:

Hours past 8 in a day or 40 in a week are overtime, so it actually comes out to a base pay rate of 12.75 or so per hour. 

Years of school and field practice are required to be a paramedic.

36% depression rates. 

Inordinately high suicide rates.

High rate of burnouts,  means finding a new career at middle age as a jaded adult. 

The pay just isn't commensurate with the human cost. 

Dude, you don’t have to take the job... 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Jake wander wrote:

Dude, you don’t have to take the job... 

He's already applied and is trying to discourage the competition. Clever strategy!

Medic741 · · Des Moines, IA (WTF) · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 265

Damnit. &$^% I miss that job... esp in med school... go get 'em tiger. That looks like a banging job.  

Sean Fujimori · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1
Jake wander wrote:

I definitely appreciated reading Micaiah's perspective. It's not wrong to make people aware of the downsides to what might seem like a perfect job.

Sam Latone · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 45

That pay is fantastic, considering you’re living in a rural area. This pay works out to 50k a year to run 5 calls per shift. I was getting 39k to run 20 calls a shift. Pretty simple math to me. 

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195
s kf wrote:

I definitely appreciated reading Micaiah's perspective. It's not wrong to make people aware of the downsides to what might seem like a perfect job.

Anyone who could get that job has already gone to school to become a paramedic. You think they are going to change their career path cuz some guy on the internet said it sucks?

Sean Fujimori · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1
Jake wander wrote:

Anyone who could get that job has already gone to school to become a paramedic. You think they are going to change their career path cuz some guy on the internet said it sucks?

I'm not sure, but thinking a little more broadly, the post raises the question of whether paramedic work is a sustainable way of making a living. I happen to find that an important question, and the answer seems to be a disheartening one. 

Matt King · · Durango, CO · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 327

Is there OT pay after 40 hours?

Devin Krevetski · · Northfield, VT · Joined May 2008 · Points: 140
s kf wrote:

I'm not sure, but thinking a little more broadly, the post raises the question of whether paramedic work is a sustainable way of making a living. I happen to find that an important question, and the answer seems to be a disheartening one. 

The trick is that you have to look for a good place to work. For too long paramedics a lot services have been semi-disposable meat grinders that didn't have to change because there always seemed to be a constant flow of new meat. 

But there has been recent changes and other places the meat want to go. 

Many Full Time Fire Departments have started running EMS to stay in business and the benefits there tend to be better than the private sector, they also want a paramedic on every fire engine and the ambulance, so you end up with a 5 man shift with 3 paramedics and one ambulance, limiting the supply, (you only NEED one paramedic on an ambulance, so you could technically have 3 ambulances instead of just one).

Just over 5 years ago (I think), all initial paramedic education programs required accreditation for students to test the national exam. That killed all the sub-standard diploma mill and smaller sized education programs probably limiting the number of potential new students per year (this is an assumption I am making). 

Thirdly, the expectations/standards for paramedics has slowly been rising and if you can't hack it, you can't hack it. Luckily the public still just wants someone to drive them to the hospital, but "in the business" things are much different, especially as younger medical directors get involved who understand EMS better and have higher expectations for prehospital care.

I have no personal experience with this specific service, but what I can tell (from their website, and hiring practices) is that they aren't gonna get the talent they need, because any paramedic that is worth her salt isn't gonna touch them with a ten foot stick clip, and probably has better prospects elsewhere.

SOURCE: I'm not a paramedic, but I play one on TV.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241
Sam Latone wrote:

That pay is fantastic, considering you’re living in a rural area. This pay works out to 50k a year to run 5 calls per shift. I was getting 39k to run 20 calls a shift. Pretty simple math to me. 

Bishop’s cost of living is high. This ain’t your grand pappy’s rural.

Timothy Case · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Speaking from the perspective of a veteran full-time firefighter/EMT whose agency uses a private ambulance service for transport services, pay in the paramedic/EMT industry is criminal, but provides an invaluable stepping stone for many to other forms of medicine...

H Lue · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 10

If you're having trouble finding paramedics, maybe you should raise salary. I have a ton of respect for medics, it's a shame how underpaid they are. 

Devin Krevetski · · Northfield, VT · Joined May 2008 · Points: 140
Timothy Case wrote:

Speaking from the perspective of a veteran full-time firefighter/EMT who's agency uses a private ambulance service for transport services, pay in the paramedic/EMT industry is criminal, but provides an invaluable stepping stone for many to other forms of medicine...

I don't think you can have it both ways.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "WANTED Full-Time Paramedics in Bishop, CA"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started