Mountain Project Logo

What do you consider a "big wall?"

Original Post
Adam Hammer · · CT · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 509

What do you guys think makes a big wall a big wall?

certain height, # of pitches, difficulty, having to bivy etc? 

Tomko · · SANTA CLARA CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 20

Not saying I'm an expert on big walling, but my definition would be that the average party would take more than one day to complete the ascent.

T C · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 1,066

Maybe some aid, a bivouac, over a thousand foot, and it was not original climb in a modern fast a light single push style.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Taggart Cole wrote:

...and it was not original climb in a modern fast a light single push style.

Except there have been many modern big wall FA's done in that style, so that defining condition doesn't really exist.

Adam Hammer · · CT · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 509
Marc801 C wrote:

Except there have been many modern big wall FA's done in that style, so that defining condition doesn't really exist.

Exactly my point. So maybe at least 1000 feet of climbing? Usually people associate big walls with hard grades and over 10 pitches. Would a 1000 ft 5.8 free climb be considered "big wall?"

Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507

Primarily aid routes over 8 pitches.

jon bernhard · · Buena Vista, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 286

One that is big...

Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507
jon bernhard wrote:

One that is big...

and wall like in nature. 

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

Seeing as Wikipedia is always 100% correct   "Big wall climbing is a type of rock climbing where a climber ascends a long multi-pitch route, normally requiring more than a single day to complete the climb. Big wall routes require the climbing team to live on the route often using portaledges and hauling equipment. It is practiced on tall or more vertical faces with few ledges and small cracks."

There are many routes in Yosemite that are >1000ft, and easily go free. East Buttress' of both Middle Cathedral and El Cap are certainly not 'Big Walls.' The South Face of Washington Column is considered a big wall and is around same amount of pitches of those routes. The difference is that it requires primarily aid, and an optional ledge bivy. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Adam Hammershoi wrote:

Exactly my point. So maybe at least 1000 feet of climbing? Usually people associate big walls with hard grades and over 10 pitches. Would a 1000 ft 5.8 free climb be considered "big wall?"

No, just a long free climb. It's not difficulty - The Nose is a big wall but can be done at 5.9 C1 -  it's length, usually aid, and taking more than a day (for most parties) that defines a big wall.

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175

One that goes border to border...

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

The lead only wall at the gym 

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

Must have equation to define everything. X+y+z= big wall 

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Disclaimer: not a big wall climber.  But I think the question should be is big wall a type of route or more so a style of climbing. 

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

BITD, a “big wall” climb was defined as multi day and aid climbing. Once “wall routes” started to get climbed in a day and then free climbed, the definition became less clear cut.

Two teams talking about doing the Nose might say, “We did it in a day”, the other might say “we did it wall style”. The wall style team would mean they hauled and had bivied. 

I’ve climbed El Cap a couple dozen times. I’ve climbed it in a day and in multiple days. I count all of them as a climb of a big wall. 

Nick Kaiser · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Curious about this myself, I did a bit of searching to see if I could get a better sense of the modern definition of big wall climbing. I like the posts in this thread, but I figured I'd share definitions from a number of reputable climbing sources to supplement what was said.

"Climbing on a large, sheer wall, which usually requires bivouacs and extensive aid climbing." -  Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills

"A tall cliff that normally requires multiple days to ascend" - Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills by Topher Donahue and Craig Luebben

"Extended, multi-pitch rock climb that often takes several days to complete." - Rock Climbing Glossary by REI

"An especially high cliff that requires multi-pitch climbing and usually takes multiple days to ascend." - Climbing Terminology by Rock and Ice

"A big wall is a steep multi-pitch climb that
takes most people more than a day to climb." - How to Big Wall Climb by Chris McNamara

"Big walls are routes that usually take more than a day to ascend." - Alpine Institute

"A big wall is essentially a vertical expanse of rock which is too big to climb in a single day." - Big Wall and Aid Climbing by VDiff Climbing

It seems that most big wall climbs are greater than or equal to 1200 ft in height. The smallest big wall routes I was able to find with little googling (there may be shorter ones out there...) are the following:

Moonlight Buttress, Zion - 1200 ft
Tsaranoro Massif, Madagascar - 1312 ft
South Face of Washington Column, Yosemite - 1200 ft
Liberty Crack route on Liberty Bell, Washington - 1200 ft

Since big walls can and are climbed in a day by some, I think the modern definition boils down to this - a steep rock wall of grade IV or greater.

Ben Horowitz · · Bishop, CA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 136
Nick Kaiser wrote:  
Since big walls can and are climbed in a day by some, I think the modern definition boils down to this - a steep rock wall of grade IV or greater.

A bit tautological if you ask me, since it is subjective what distinguishes Grade IV vs. Grade III :P 

But in general I agree that the "traditionally takes more than one day and is steep" is the best definition.
Short Fall Sean · · Bishop, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 7

Are we talking about a big wall? Or a bigwall?

Jordan Moore · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 60
Short Fall Sean wrote: Are we talking about a big wall? Or a bigwall?

Exactly. You can climb a big wall real fast but a bigwall is slow as fuck. 

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

1) Over 1,00 Feet?
2) Aid?
3) In Yosemite?
4) Hauling (of new climbers) required?

So...  Royal Arches is Big Wall?

Short Fall Sean · · Bishop, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 7
Jordan Moore wrote:

Exactly. You can climb a big wall real fast but a bigwall is slow as fuck. 

Ooh, I gotta disagree there. If Honnold or I climb the Nose, it's a bigwall either way. But only one of us is doing it fast. 

But I think a bigwall probably initially went up with some aid, takes an average party more one day (and some aid) to do, and is steep (not like a mountain ridge or something). A big wall is just that - a large piece of rock.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "What do you consider a "big wall?""

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started