Mountain Project Logo

Ralph Lauren sponsors Chris Sharma

Original Post
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Louie Venchurro · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 5

Yikes. I wish I could get payed to climb...

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140

Yo homeboy what you drinking man

J Saarela · · Park City · Joined May 2015 · Points: 196

I'm just waiting on those Ralph climbing polos and approach loafers.

Slartibartfast · · Magrathea · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

I'm all for people finally making it big, and I generally say "good for you" when others yell "sell out!"

But these made me die a little bit.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

First of all cologne is lame. Second of all you will not be wearing cologne while climbing. Getting sponsored and paid is all good but promoting a product totally unrelated to your sport or lifestyle is a little weird.

Someone talked Chris into this, it's not his style.

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40
Tradiban wrote:

First of all cologne is lame. Second of all you will not be wearing cologne while climbing. Getting sponsored and paid is all good but promoting a product totally unrelated to your sport or lifestyle is a little weird.

Someone talked Chris into this, it's not his style.

Ueli Steck was sponsored by a kitchen company. Maybe weird for an American but normal in other parts of the world. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

I don't understand what is the point of them sponsoring a climber considering most climbers are the people who won't touch their stuff.

Kees van der Heiden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 40

Climbers are not the clients. They are just for the image. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Kees van der Heiden wrote:

Climbers are not the clients. They are just for the image. 

Yea, I guess so they just want all the people buying their clothes to think they are climbers even though all the climbers will be making fun of them.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

Slow morning, did a quick google search for that image, and for Ralph Lauren ad images. 

The only reference to OP's image was to MP.com - if google hasn't indexed an advertisement image I have my doubts about it being genuine and not a PhotoShop quickie.

Kyle Taylor · · Broomfield CO · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
ViperScale wrote:

I don't understand what is the point of them sponsoring a climber considering most climbers are the people who won't touch their stuff.

You mean you don't wanna attract these southern mosquitoes with your Ralph Lauren?!? Maybe it'll aid as a tick repellent, ha!

B Gilmore · · AZ · Joined Nov 2005 · Points: 1,260

looks remarkably similar to other climbskin ads. 

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60
Eric K · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 45
ViperScale wrote:

Yea, I guess so they just want all the people buying their clothes to think they are climbers even though all the climbers will be making fun of them.

They could care less about climbers, they are trying to sell an image. "Buy this shit and you will be an adventurous guy with long blond hair married to a model" kinda thing.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
simplyput wrote:

Amarius, maybe you didn't look hard enough:

https://www.ralphlauren.com/09272017-m-polo-red-extreme-feat/09272017-m-polo-red-extreme-feat.html

Oops, I did it again :)

Mark Says · · Basalt, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 395

Sharma is getting old, by current climbing standards he's pretty much an ancient relic. He probably just wants to bank a few coins so he can retire in style by age 40 and I can't fault him for that. No one wants to be teaching classes in Moab until they're Jay Smith's age, unless they're Jay Smith.

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

There have been times when I wished my partner had some of that RL cologne!

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

who cares...

Remember who owns Prana?

David Tysinger · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 0

It's not like Ralph Lauren is unheard of in the outdoor industry... in the past they have sponsored mountain biking teams - and they might still -just haven't kept up with it.  I say good for Chris -and shame on the haters who would sell out too if they were only offered the chance.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Tylerpratt wrote:

Ueli Steck was sponsored by a kitchen company. Maybe weird for an American but normal in other parts of the world. 

....and Sharma now resides in Spain

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Ralph Lauren sponsors Chris Sharma"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started