Mountain Project Logo

Ralph Lauren sponsors Chris Sharma

Slartibartfast · · Magrathea · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0
Dave T wrote:

It's not like Ralph Lauren is unheard of in the outdoor industry... in the past they have sponsored mountain biking teams - and they might still -just haven't kept up with it.  I say good for Chris -and shame on the haters who would sell out too if they were only offered the chance.

Heck, I'd do anything Ralph Lauren wants if they paid me enough. Possibly even wear their cologne.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Kees van der Heiden wrote:

Climbers are not the clients. They are just for the image. 

Yes, this is the problem. I don't blame Sharma, pookie has to get paid, it's some PR prick that needs a strongly worded email.

Fredrik Ehne · · Stockholm, Sweden · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Is it just me or does the perspective in the photo look off?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Louie wrote:

Yikes. I wish I could get payed to climb...

Climb 5.14 and harder.

Tradiban wrote:

Yes, this is the problem. I don't blame Sharma, pookie has to get paid, it's some PR prick that needs a strongly worded email.

What the hell does it matter?

ChrisMurphy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

no biggie,  are people forgetting Ed Viestur's Polo Sport down suit for one of his Everest climbs?

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

This is nothing, imagine growing up on skateboarding then seeing a national television commercial where Tony Hawk, flys into the bedroom window and sells you Bagel Bites.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Forever Outside wrote:

This is nothing, imagine growing up on skateboarding then seeing a national television commercial where Tony Hawk, flys into the bedroom window and sells you Bagel Bites.

Lol  

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Forever Outside wrote:

Agreed, the worst is yet to come.

Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 96

WTF is going on in this image anyways?

Jplotz · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,315
Tradiban wrote:

Second of all you will not be wearing cologne while climbing. 

I have climbed with many partners who I wish used cologne while climbing. 

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Gold Plated Rocket Pony wrote:

....and no weed

Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 96

Ok starting to look more realistic now

germsauce Epstein · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 55

Guessing his wife and baby and the insane cost of college talked him into this.   I'd have done the same. 

Kyle Taylor · · Broomfield CO · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Didn't Shaun White have his own chewing gum?

Gold Plated Rocket Pony wrote:

An ad where climbing is strictly an incidental backdrop that looks cool an accuracy is irrelevant?

normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 110

I thought it was strange. Climbing is not that popular among general population or even romanticized. And there are not that many climbers. So why would Sharma be a good for a colone campaign add celebrity of it's a general public add?  Maybe they are going after a niche audience

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270
normajean wrote:

I thought it was strange. Climbing is not that popular among general population or even romanticized. And there are not that many climbers. So why would Sharma be a good for a colone campaign add celebrity of it's a general public add?  Maybe they are going after a niche audience

because he is handsome AF

normajean wrote:

I thought it was strange. Climbing is not that popular among general population or even romanticized.

Yet some part of Tommy and Kevin's Dawn Wall ascent in 2015 was watched by millions. Then there were the appearances on Today, Good Morning America, The Tonight Show, etc.

And there are not that many climbers. 

Probably a whole lot more than you think. Over 6M. https://www.thoughtco.com/popularity-of-climbing-lessons-3972254

So why would Sharma be a good for a colone campaign add celebrity of it's a general public add?  Maybe they are going after a niche audience

Because it's one of a series of ads and videos of "extreme" activities. 

http://wwd.com/beauty-industry-news/fragrance/ralph-lauren-polo-reds-new-it-boy-meet-luke-bracey-10747146/

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140

Climbing isn't that popular? You been to the crag lately.  Everybody and their dog climbs!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Ralph Lauren sponsors Chris Sharma"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started