Mountain Project Logo

So you're at the crag when someone shows up with a drone and begins flying it near you. Does this bug you? What do you do?

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392
Beean wrote:

USA: The only country where pulling a gun before having a conversation is considered reasonable. 

Beean, I agree with you for most situations.   But in the scenario I described above... who you gonna converse with?    The operators can be miles away.  They can "fuck with you" annonymously without any consequences and you have no reasonable course of action.    As I said, even a police officer can only wave his badge at it and if the operators want to ignore him, they can.   This is a problem that current laws and regulations do not address.

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32
Adam Orton wrote:

Drones should be banned everywhere except for those RC plane parks and you may ask “what if there’s not one near my house?” Suck it up buttercup. Get your fat “semi-professional cinema photographer” ass out in the real wild. It’s not right you get to put in very little effort while aiding in noise pollution and potential littering should you wreck the damn thing. While the rest of us work our ass off to really experience it and be in it. 

On a side note: just like the aid climbing rant on YouTube someone needs to make a drone rant, lol. 

oh yes because the way we experience the outdoors is the proper way, and thus all others forms are subservient to our way... 

Tony K · · Pa · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Here you folks while climbing this past weekend ( Delaware water gap ) Pa side  we were the only group on the pa side  while on the 2nd pitch of point of no return we here the buzzing of what sounds like a drone ( illegal in nation parks)  sure enough it’s a Damm Drone.......  it buzzed us a few times but could not see who was flying it ...... now the fun part this was are last climb of the day we get to top set up to rap down and we see car on road side with 3 people that appeared to be controlling the drone .... we rap hike back to truck to find park rangers with them ..... one approach us asking if we are with them. Nope we don’t know them......apparently they told the ranger they were with us filming ( why the F___ would they do that ) longer story shot after being detained for about an hour finally convincing rangers we are NOT with them didn’t know them .... rangers gave them a ticket and let us g on are way......

So Down this the Damm Drone ......next time it happens to us I’m taking in down

Happy Climbing 

Mark Says · · Basalt, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 395
jleining wrote:

oh yes because the way we experience the outdoors is the proper way, and thus all others forms are subservient to our way... 

How is flying a drone experiencing the outdoors? When I want to experience the ocean, I don't whip out an rc boat.

Dead Head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65
s.price wrote:

No offense taken. Didn't even occur to me. Just want to be clear I am not just a drone hater. They have there place. The dropped quickdraw incident happened a couple of years ago Things got heated, cops got called. Since no intent on my part could be proved the matter was immediately dropped.

Do I feel bad about the wrecked drone? Not at all. I politely asked twice, not so politely another time to be given space. If you can't be considerate of other users in the area then do not expect consideration from me. 

What was the outcome?  I can't imagine one 100g quickdraw could wreck one of those burly things.  Not trying to discredit, just curious.

Joe Lindberg wrote:

What was the outcome?  I can't imagine one 100g quickdraw could wreck one of those burly things.  Not trying to discredit, just curious.

You don't think a piece of metal capable of sustaining a 26kn force would win against drone blades? Birds can take down jet engines, for scale.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Joe Lindberg wrote:

Anything that interferes with the rotors can take down a drone. Tangle just one quadcopter propeller/motor, then the quadcopter will crash as it requires all four propellers spinning to stay in the air.  A 1/4 lb QD can do it easily.

In this video (start at the 3:15 mark), a water stream takes down a DJI Spark:

Beean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
John Byrnes wrote:

Beean, I agree with you for most situations.   But in the scenario I described above... who you gonna converse with?    The operators can be miles away.  They can "fuck with you" annonymously without any consequences and you have no reasonable course of action.    As I said, even a police officer can only wave his badge at it and if the operators want to ignore him, they can.   This is a problem that current laws and regulations do not address.

Fair enough John, my comment was in response to Eric's notion that it's entirely appropriate to shoot in a public area with the operator nearby (whilst climbing? Do Americans have a belay technique that allows for shooting and keeping your climber safe?). If you're at home out in the sticks with no one at risk, sure. 

But a hose or a bit of string with a rock tied to it would probably take down a drone as easily as shooting at it, and then you get a free drone.  

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392
Beean wrote:

Fair enough John, my comment was in response to Eric's notion that it's entirely appropriate to shoot in a public area with the operator nearby (whilst climbing? Do Americans have a belay technique that allows for shooting and keeping your climber safe?). If you're at home out in the sticks with no one at risk, sure. 

But a hose or a bit of string with a rock tied to it would probably take down a drone as easily as shooting at it, and then you get a free drone.  

Good idea.  I'm thinking: a sling-shot and a machine-nut with several string streamers tied to it.  

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Beean wrote:

But a hose or a bit of string with a rock tied to it would probably take down a drone as easily as shooting at it, and then you get a free, probably inoperable, drone.  

Fixed that for ya!

wankel7 · · Indiana · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 10
Mark Waterous wrote:

How is flying a drone experiencing the outdoors? When I want to experience the ocean, I don't whip out an rc boat.

Who are you to judge my hobby? Who am I to judge your hobby?

Assuming say....National Forest.....it is a land of many uses. If you want to climb. Do it. If I want to ride my two stroke dirt bike and brap brap. I will do it. If I want to fly my powered parachute around. I can do that too. Just like I can fire up my drone and do that also. 

If you want a private place to pursue your hobby where YOU get to make the decisions....then buy your own land. But until then...realize that sacrifices must be made to enjoy public land. Sacrifices such as.....sharing. 

I don't understand the folks that would bring down  or destroy an annoyance to them. If the annoyance was a dirt bike doing laps around a crag would you go over and destroy / vandalize / assault the rider? 

wankel7 wrote:

Flying a remote controlled device didn't strike me as "experiencing the outdoors". You're not wrong, it is a hobby, but I feel justified in judging you and your hobby when it intrudes on mine. I have no problem with anyone else on the ski hill until you sit down hidden from above or traverse an entire run without looking up. The moment you negatively affect the outcome of my day, I will judge you.

If there was a known dirt bike trail or track near a climb, I have the opportunity to go elsewhere. If you show up flying an army of plus sized angry bumblebees around my head, I think you're the one who should go elsewhere.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
wankel7 wrote:

Assuming say....National Forest.....it is a land of many uses. If you want to climb. Do it. If I want to ride my two stroke dirt bike and brap brap. I will do it. If I want to fly my powered parachute around. I can do that too. Just like I can fire up my drone and do that also. 

If you want a private place to pursue your hobby where YOU get to make the decisions....then buy your own land. But until then...realize that sacrifices must be made to enjoy public land. Sacrifices such as.....sharing. 

I don't understand the folks that would bring down  or destroy an annoyance to them. If the annoyance was a dirt bike doing laps around a crag would you go over and destroy / vandalize / assault the rider? 

AndrewArroz wrote:

Can you expand on this...

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
wankel7 wrote:

Can you expand on this...

AndrewArroz wrote:

Oh, thanks for the clarification. 

Beean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
Marc801 C wrote:

Fixed that for ya!

Appreciate that. This is all hypothetical for me, I haven't seen a drone in the wild before because they seem to be pretty tightly banned here. 

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
wankel7 wrote:

If I could break the bike without doing bodily harm to the rider, then yes, I would fuck that dirt bike up. 

The problem is that they are not really good comparisons. Drones are remote controlled while dirt bikes are not. Drones are new enough where the rules fall in a gray zone whereas I am prepared to deal with dirt bikes if I am climbing in an area where they are allowed. 

If you’re paying attention most of the anti drone sentiment comes from people who have been distracted by or flown dangerously close to. How would you feel if, Using your dirt bike example, they were riding circles around your belayer? 

Go back to the gym. 

Ben Lyon · · Steele, AL · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

"Dropped" QD...

.45acp.

Handful of pennies.

Biner full of stoppers. 

Apple-sized rock. 

Whip the rope at it.... 

Lots of ways to deal with it. 

mediocre wrote:

If I could break the bike without doing bodily harm to the rider, then yes, I would fuck that dirt bike up. 

The problem is that they are not really good comparisons. Drones are remote controlled while dirt bikes are not. Drones are new enough where the rules fall in a gray zone whereas I am prepared to deal with dirt bikes if I am climbing in an area where they are allowed. 

If you’re paying attention most of the anti drone sentiment comes from people who have been distracted by or flown dangerously close to. How would you feel if, Using your dirt bike example, they were riding circles around your belayer? 

Go back to the gym. 

If you are going to be at that gym....I will pass sunshine. You would really damage a dirt bike?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "So you're at the crag when someone shows up wit…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started