Mountain Project Logo

microaggression? or having the overreaction?

Original Post
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Thread prediction, will go up to six pages due to the excessive infighting within the community. Won't be supertopo bad though.

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35

if climbing guys want to be taken seriously they should judge women on their climbing ability, not their clothing choices

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
David Deville · · Fayetteville, AR · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 90

It's funny because I'd take a female climber in booty shorts more seriously than a dude in booty shorts. WHO IS THE REAL VICTIM HERE?????! Awesome cover photo on that article BTW.

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781

I'm not sure Cedar Wright would be my go-to source for any statement that starts, "how to be taken seriously..."

He made a fake playgirl cover of Honnold and, well, this...

doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264

TL'DR. Yawn. Just another click-bait blog. Alex you're not helping by making us to click on it.

Simon W · · Nowhere Land · Joined May 2013 · Points: 55

Cedar Wright is a troll bruh....

Also, Cedar should stop making that horrendous music and putting it in his videos, if he wants to be taken seriously.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

We just need all the climbing gear companies to start selling 80s spandex pants... we need to bring it back!

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35
ViperScale wrote:

We just need all the climbing gear companies to start selling 80s spandex pants... we need to bring it back!

I've seen a few guys in the bright print stretch pants climbing recently, it might be on the way back already

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Alicia Sokolowski wrote:

I'm not sure Cedar Wright would be my go-to source for any statement that starts, "how to be taken seriously..."

He made a fake playgirl cover of Honnold and, well, this...

I'm not sure Cedar wants you to take him seriously as a climber, or thinks himself as a serious climber. But you are probably right...

Regardless, the example climber in the article was NOT wearing booty shorts, so there goes the logic in the argument. Or does no one actually wants to address the elephant in the room?

reboot wrote:

Or does no one actually wants to address the elephant in the room?

*Pants. You mean the elephant in your pants.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
rafael wrote:

I've seen a few guys in the bright print stretch pants climbing recently, it might be on the way back already

climbing friend,

has they also utilize the PAS thong crossing under the crotchular region along with tight pant?

reboot wrote:

I'm not sure Cedar wants you to take him seriously as a climber, or thinks himself as a serious climber. But you are probably right...

Regardless, the example climber in the article was NOT wearing booty shorts, so there goes the logic in the argument. Or does no one actually wants to address the elephant in the room?

You mean Bisharat's Mom jeans?

I actually totally agree with the bit about 24 HHH in Reel Rock 10. I had the same thoughts watching that one actually; there were definitely tons of female climbers at the comp pullin' hard, but the only female appearances in the film that I remember were the drunk groupies. I don't really care about what Cedar said on the Enormocast though... I'm sure he was just trying to get a raise from listeners.

Mike Mellenthin wrote:

It's ironic to write an article that spends a decent amount of time taking Cedar Wright to task for something he said on a podcast once and then turn around and talk about "oriental women".

To be clear, I think the the author just didn't know better and I don't think it's a mark on her character. But the gravity of her mistake is roughly the same as what she's calling out Cedar Wright for.

I also think she's broadly right about the representation of women in climbing media and about certain other climbing media personalities, but I already thought those things before reading this article. I'm not sure it would convince me if I didn't, but maybe that's not the point.

Coming from the East Coast, I'm always shocked how non-nonchalantly people use this very non-pc "oriental" term around here in Colorado even in professional settings... 

Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930

PS, "Oriental women" is not the correct term. "Asian women" is what she meant. 

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Billcoe wrote:

PS, "Oriental women" is not the correct term. "Asian women" is what she meant. 

I read up on what the fuss is all about. And in this case, I'm not sure switching to "Asian women" helps at all: it includes a huge (majority) population of non-Muslims while excluding non-Asian Muslims, and crucially does nothing to clarify whether Muslims in western countries are included. 

Billcoe wrote:

6 pages, these people don't even start to get warmed up at 6 pages. 

MP is all about wasting time when you can't climb. 6 pages is nothing. I'll have at least 30 pages of comments here before I finish my goddamn dissertation.

Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5
ViperScale wrote:

Sikh help

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "microaggression? or having the overreaction?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started