Mountain Project Logo

Anyone ever deal with a bruised heel?

Original Post
Nick Thomas · · Duluth, MN · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 35

Took a short fall (just a couple feet) the other day but it was straight on my heel onto a rock (in climbing shoes).  Didn't think much of it, it was a little sore but whatever.  It's been about a week and I did a bit of hiking on the approaches to a couple crags over the weekend, and now it's pretty sore to walk on.  I'm pretty worried this is one of those 'takes-a-lot-of-resting-to-heal' injuries; I can walk on it but it does get fairly sore.  Other than RICE is there anything I can do to recover quicker, or just something to make walking more comfortable?  I can try to climb at spots with less approach, but I'm not about to rest away my entire summer.

Andrew Schindler · · Laramie, WY · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 76

Had this a couple times. Don't walk for 1-2 weeks. That's really the only way it's going to get better....If you do have to walk don't put weight on it. Or you could ride a bike to stay in shape.

Chase D · · CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 195

I agree don't put weight on it. I was on crutches for 3 weeks when I bruised my heel. Not much you can do except take it easy and let it get better. Shitty injury

Mike Gibson · · Payson, AZ · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 0

Got a major heel bruise back in April and it took more than a month before I wasn't limping.   Still hurts a little bit even after two months.  Doc told me that's just the way these go - foot injuries are always slow to heal.

Doug Meneke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

You can get inserts for your shoes...and cut out the spot where the injury is.  You weight will be shifted around the injury instead of on it.  Of course, this can rub you the wrong way, so keep an eye on it.  I've even cut a nickel-sized hole out of the heel of my shoe.  Then when hiking, a pebble popped thru the hole and WOW...it hurt bad.

A TENZ unit (electric-stimulation) can help.  Deep penetrating ultrasound heat therapy helps (if you have insurance).  Best is to keep off it and elevated when you can. 

I like to lay in the bathtub and turn the water on (let it drain...not fill) as HOT as you can stand it, and let the hot water run over the bottom of your foot on the sore spot (gets you into some "interesting" positions).  A good foot massage to work out the soreness helps, too.

Best to stay off it if possible.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Anyone ever deal with a bruised heel?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started