Mountain Project Logo

Cheap climbing shoes in Canada?

Original Post
Hannie Maie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

So I recently posted a forum about whether I should invest money into climbing shoes. I decided to budget around $100 for it, but the obly decent one's are $120+. On the other forum people recommended websites like campsaver, but shipping is expensive for Canada. So I was wondering if anyone knows a good website that ships free to Canada with cheap shoes or stores in the GTA region that I can get cheap shoes from. Also what is considered a cheap climbing shoe, and what is considered expensive?

* I don't want to buy second hand shoes

**in the other forum people said that she shoe's they got were less than $100, so I was wonderjng if it's just really expensive here in Canada or am I just looking at the wrong stores?

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

MEC would be one place in Canada that ships. 

That said, the best thing you could do is go to a local store and try pretty much all climbing shoes that they have - this the best way to try many models by many manufacturers.

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648

I've never bought shoes in Canada, but you should find plenty of shoe models from brands like Mad Rock, Evolv, or (gasp) climb-x for well under $100.  What shoes are you looking at, and what are  your shoe needs?

Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 8,191
Hannie Maie wrote:

So I recently posted a forum about whether I should invest money into climbing shoes. I decided to budget around $100 for it, but the obly decent one's are $120+. On the other forum people recommended websites like campsaver, but shipping is expensive for Canada. So I was wondering if anyone knows a good website that ships free to Canada with cheap shoes or stores in the GTA region that I can get cheap shoes from. Also what is considered a cheap climbing shoe, and what is considered expensive?

* I don't want to buy second hand shoes

**in the other forum people said that she shoe's they got were less than $100, so I was wonderjng if it's just really expensive here in Canada or am I just looking at the wrong stores?

When I first started climbing, we would drive to Canada to get the cheapest shoes. But back then, there was only one choice: EBs.

It is interesting also that the price of rock shoes hasn't gone up much in 35 years. Those great deals on EBs were about $45 or $50. About six years ago, I got some Five-Ten Coyotes for about $65 at REI. So far, I've had them resoled 3 times, and just sent them off for the 4th resole. So, even a $65 shoe can give you a lot of climbing. 

Jo Mer · · Eugene, OR · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 104
Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
JoMer wrote:

True, but considering that you can generally find cheap beginner shoes in the $70 US range, the OP should be able to find them in Canada for less than $100.  

The two shoes I would recommend for a beginner that should be less than $100 even in Canada would be the Mad Rock Flash, or the evolv Defy, with the Mad Rock being a shoe that will climb a bit better than the evolv (but that really doesn't matter since the OP is a beginner).

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847
Cassa Lou · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Canadian here - up until the past year you could find a pair of basic climbing shoes for around $80 but the prices have recently skyrocketed with our weak Canadian dollar. I bought my last pair of Solutions for $175 and they are now going for $225 at MEC. 

Anyways, rocknice2 shared a great link for some cheaper shoes through Madrock. I highly recommend MEC (cheaper shoes starting in the $90 range) because then you can try the shoes on your feet as well as on a small wall in-store to make sure you get something you will be comfortable in. They also have an awesome return policy. 

I know you said you didn't want to buy used shoes but in my opinion it's always worth checking the MEC return bins - you'll get super discounted shoes because they were worn just once or twice and the original buyer didn't like the fit. 

Good luck!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269

I wouldn't buy the cheapest shoe. Buy the one that fits the best, is most comfortable for what you want to do, etc etc. Maybe it's expensive and maybe it's not, but you're investing into it for a reason, right? I would hate to buy a 'cheaper' $80 shoe and not wear it vs. a $150 shoe and love it. YMMV

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Cheap climbing shoes in Canada?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started