Mountain Project Logo

Alpine Bouldering

Original Post
Db5504 · · Shippensburg, PA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 951

Any suggestions for bouldering in an alpine environment? I'm just curious to see what there is in the U.S.

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

recommendations or suggestions?

some CA alpine

Sean Fujimori · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1

I wouldn't go primarily for bouldering, but there are some pretty sweet problems to be found in the enchantments in WA. I remember one gorgeous ~15 ft amphitheater with a few parallel cracks about halfway up the scramble to Enchantment peak...

Would make for a fun diversion if you went to do a line on Prusik or Dragontail.

Found this video for a taste: youtube.com/watch?v=V_6I_2Q…

David B · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 205

Colorado is where it's at for alpine bouldering

Rocky Mountain National Park
Mt. Evans
Lincoln Lake
Crested Butte
Guanella Pass
etc

Matthew Tangeman · · SW Colorado · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,098
Skf wrote:I wouldn't go primarily for bouldering, but there are some pretty sweet problems to be found in the enchantments in WA. I remember one gorgeous ~15 ft amphitheater with a few parallel cracks about halfway up the scramble to Enchantment peak... Would make for a fun diversion if you went to do a line on Prusik or Dragontail. Found this video for a taste: youtube.com/watch?v=V_6I_2Q…
The back end of Colchuck Lake has some gnarly hard lines as well if you're not going all the way into the Enchantments. Bring lots of pads!
Jordan Marvel · · Tempe, AZ · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 5

R.M.N.P

Caleb Mallory · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; PNW · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 425

Snowy Range in Wy has some gems.

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32

Bouldering in the alpine is like bowling with bumpers, spectating at a rodeo, or having intercourse with a blow up doll.

George W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 6

Alaska is loaded with potential! Talkeetna Mountains near Anchorage are popular for bouldering, multi-pitch trad, and plenty of bolted routes. I've only sought the walls there, but the pebbles looked like they had potential.

I think it was 80 minutes from down town Anchorage and then walking anywhere from minutes to days.

Reed Lakes Trail

Sara Shari · · Eugene, Oregon · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 10

To add to George's comment check out this video. You will find a nice representation of the bouldering opportunities to be had in Hatcher Pass. Alaska is quite impressive in the world of climbing objectives!

vimeo.com/101216080

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

I love this topic .... Good thread idea. However, it's also funny to ask "Where are there a lot of rocks?" because it's like asking for directions to infinity.

Big Pro · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 5

Enjoy the alpine bouldering but make sure not to trample tundra unnecessarily. Also pack out all waste as these are sensitive environments.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Alpine Bouldering"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.