Mountain Project Logo

"On The Road" Training Tactics

Original Post
Rob WardenSpaceLizard · · las Vegans, the cosmic void · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 130

I am transitioning to working a traveling work cycle. Touring for several months at a time.

What portable training tools are on the market that are for climbers or are beneficial to them?

what are the good portable finger boards?

I want to keep fit on the road and maintain my current level or even improve on the road. I am looking to keep climbing around 13a sport and trad.

overweight/oversized items are not a problem, as they are easily added to my personal box of shit.

Thank you in advance

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 16,608
Rob Warden...Space Lizard wrote:what are the good portable finger boards?
This exact question was covered on UKclimbing.com in the last couple weeks.

But if weight + size are not a concern for you, not much point in a paying money for a fingerboard only a quarter the size of what you really want.

Just unscrew your favorite non-portable board from the wall, drill a couple of holes near the outside corners of the top. Run some doubled cord thru eyebolts in the holes, with a slidable quicklink or carabiner in the middle to hang it from a tree or any other higher-than-human structure.

Need to play around to "tune" the forward/backward angle of the hang.

Take a look on the web at the designs of portable boards for ideas on how to attach cords, but then implement the ideas with a full-size board.

Ken

P.S. Metolius rock rings are pretty useful.
Alex Quinn · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

If you haven't seen this yet take a look: stephdavis.co/blog/sprinter…

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270
AlexQuinn wrote:If you haven't seen this yet take a look: stephdavis.co/blog/sprinter…
I built one of these tripods. I think the original specs are over the top. We used two sections of 5-foot 1-inch conduit pipe rather than a 10-foot 2-inch section. Put a connector on the threaded end of 1 pipe and torque it down hard when you have access to tools and leave it connected. You can then simply screw it onto the other end by hand. This makes it so you can pack the whole thing down in 5 foot sections (6 of them total) rather than carrying a 10 foot pipe on your car (x3). I've hung 200 pounds off without the slightest bowing.
Ben Dueweke · · Lander, WY · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 20

You could get a "no hang" device and some weights. The Gripster
These are pretty new and gaining some popularity. You train one hand at a time. Nice and portable for living on the road, the only real drawback is you probably need to carry a good amount of weights since your body weight isnt factored into it.

goingUp · · over here · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 30

last year without a ton of time to climb or access to a good place to train, my friend and I used a few aid hooks to attach my rock rings from, to hang them over a few doorways (metal jams,) or a brick ledge, this gave us a few more options of places we could get a pump going and keep using grip. It was better than nothing when other options weren't available.
even now I will take my rock rings to the gym, or to the park and hang them from any bar, or hook them to weights and do farmers carries, row's, Russian deadlifts etc.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to ""On The Road" Training Tactics"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started