Mountain Project Logo

Summer Climbing Destinations For Road Trip?

Original Post
JonathanP123 · · Victorville, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 30

I live in the High Desert, which offers some really great climbing... During the cooler months of the year.
-----This summer I am trying to plan a road trip! (Shooting to leave around June)

Any suggestions for some summertime climbing destinations I should check out?

(Planning on camping wherever I can throughout this trip)

How long is the trip? At least a month, maybe longer. Depending on finances.
- How far am I willing to drive? Distance is not really an issue for me, I have been wanting to do a trip like this for a while now.
- Travelling solo or with a partner? So far it is just me, I am planning on either meeting climbing partners on forums or along the way at camp sites and what not.
- Styles of climbing I like- sport? trad? bouldering? Any and all climbing.. Though I have little experience trad climbing, but would love to learn more.
- Grade I climb? I climb sport mostly,upper 10s and low to mid 11s , will follow anything. But would definitely stop for some cool multi-pitches no matter the grade. (Which is another area I have a small amount of experience in)

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Red Rocks, NV. Adapt to the heat

Zachary Hollifield · · Salem, OR · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

You could hit Holcomb Valley in the SBs to start your trip. Temps should be reasonable, and it's in your back yard.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

That's a pretty broad question. And there are a lot of good summer crags out there. Just naming all the good summer crags isn't going to help you- there are too many to list. You're going to need to narrow down some details. So:

- How long is your trip?
- How far are you willing to drive?
- Travelling solo or with a partner?
- Styles of climbing you like- sport? trad? bouldering?
- Grade you climb? This is a pretty important one- not all crags are good at all grades.

eli poss wrote:Red Rocks, NV. Adapt to the heat
Also, people are going to give horrendous advice. I'm not sure why they do this.

Hey man, summer's the best time to climb in RR. You can hit all the ultra classics and have the whole climb all to yourself. But people say I'm the crazy one because I love the heat.

Seriously, though, you don't have to travel very far to get cooler temps. Just go do some alpine stuff. It'll be nice and cool atop that summit.

eli poss wrote:Red Rocks, NV. Adapt to the heat
Have always wanted to climb here actually! Just have been told to stay away during summer because it can be especially brutal haha
JCM wrote:That's a pretty broad question. And there are a lot of good summer crags out there. Just naming all the good summer crags isn't going to help you- there are too many to list. You're going to need to narrow down some details. So: - How long is your trip? - How far are you willing to drive? - Travelling solo or with a partner? - Styles of climbing you like- sport? trad? bouldering? - Grade you climb? This is a pretty important one- not all crags are good at all grades.
Thanks! I appreciate any and all advice.
Looking to have some great times this year
Zachary Hollifield wrote:You could hit Holcomb Valley in the SBs to start your trip. Temps should be reasonable, and it's in your back yard.
My friend was just telling me we should make a trip up there in a couple of weeks actually haha. Holcomb is a blast. You out this way much?

based on your parameters (mostly the partners one), I'd suggest looking at places like Maple Canyon, UT or Ten Sleep, Wyoming or maybe Smith Rock, OR

eli poss wrote:based on your parameters (mostly the partners one), I'd suggest looking at places like Maple Canyon, UT or Ten Sleep, Wyoming or maybe Smith Rock, OR
Is it pretty easy to find climbing partners at these places?
Zachary Hollifield · · Salem, OR · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
JonathanP123 wrote: My friend was just telling me we should make a trip up there in a couple of weeks actually haha. Holcomb is a blast. You out this way much?
I live in the area actually! Usually catch me Clipping bolts in New Jack with all the snow we've been having, but definitely looking forward to some clear weather up here.
eli poss wrote:Smith Rock, OR
Too hot in summer.

eli poss wrote:Ten Sleep, Wyoming
GO HERE!!!!

eli poss wrote: Maple Canyon, UT
Also good. You'll drive right by there on your way to/from Tensleep, so a Maple+Tensleep trip would be an outstanding way to spend the month of June. It should be reasonably easy to find partners in both places.

If you have two+ months, spend June sport climbing in Maple and Tensleep, then drive up to Squamish for July. I did this exact itinerary in 2011 (starting and ending in Socal) and it was awesome. Squamish has good July weather, lots of people to climb with, and is a perfect place to learn to trad climb. Lots of driving to get there, but worth it for an extended trip.

if chattanooga isn't too hot in the summer then smith rock isn't too hot.

Zachary Hollifield wrote: I live in the area actually! Usually catch me Clipping bolts in New Jack with all the snow we've been having, but definitely looking forward to some clear weather up here.
That's awesome man, I've never climbed out there myself.
Once this weather clears up I might have to make a trip out that way. If you are available, wanna meet up?
JCM wrote: Too hot in summer. GO HERE!!!! Also good. You'll drive right by there on your way to/from Tensleep, so a Maple+Tensleep trip would be an outstanding way to spend the month of June. It should be reasonably easy to find partners in both places. If you have two+ months, spend June sport climbing in Maple and Tensleep, then drive up to Squamish for July. I did this exact itinerary in 2011 (starting and ending in Socal) and it was awesome. Squamish has good July weather, lots of people to climb with, and is a perfect place to learn to trad climb. Lots of driving to get there, but worth it for an extended trip.
That sounds awesome! Mind if I pm you to ask some questions about your trip?
Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
eli poss wrote:if chattanooga isn't too hot in the summer then smith rock isn't too hot.
Chattanooga is too hot in the summer. Obviously locals are going to climb regardless of it being too hot, but that doesn't make it a good summer destination.
JonathanP123 wrote: That sounds awesome! Mind if I pm you to ask some questions about your trip?
Sure, send me a PM with any/all questions. I always like talking roadtrips.
Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40

New River Gorge is one of my favorite summer destinations. You can always fall into the lake to cool off.

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

Maple to Uintas to Lander to Ten Sleep to Devil's Tower to Spearfish, return through Colorado (Devil's Head, Rifle, the Black, etc.). Done!

(If I had an extended period of time for a road trip, I don't think that I'd want to spend it in a state I already live in)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

The Sierra is pretty close to you and summer is prime season for climbing at elevation. A lifetime of summer climbs awaits you in the Sierra (which includes Tuolumne Meadows).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Summer Climbing Destinations For Road Trip?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started