Mountain Project Logo

a good read - alpinism

Original Post
Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433

Anyone have suggestions for a good read about mountaineering/alpinism?

I read House's Beyond the Mountain followed by Kirkpatrick's Psycho Vertical, enjoyed both, and had more vigor for reading than I've had in years.

Now Twight's Extreme Alpinism's pedagogic nature is not really drawing me in. It reads more like a manual.

Any suggestions for something with a more fluid nature? Have something you want to part with? I'd been thinking I've wanted to give something of Messner's a read....

Matt Carroll · · Van · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 249

Barry Blanchard's book is quite good. Would recommend. The calling: a life rocked by mountains.

Nick Votto · · CO, CT, IT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 320

Starlight and Storm is awesome

Zac St Jules · · New Hampshire · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 1,188

Tom, you read Twight's "kiss or kill"?

Mike F · · Arden, NC · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 56

Bonatti-mtns of my life

Perry Norris · · Truckee, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 45

Conquistadors of the Useless, by Lionel Terray.

normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 110

Mountain of my fear and Deborah by Roberts

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 760

Once you've read a few mtneering books, you'll appreciate 'A Short Walk In the Hindu Kush' , Eric Newby.

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966

Anything by Peter Boardman or Joe Tasker

alpine murse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95

No picnic on Mount Kenya. These POWs from WWII break out of a war camp just to climb a mountain and then break back in. It's an insane true story

Justin Meyer · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2012 · Points: 47
Matt Carroll wrote:Barry Blanchard's book is quite good. Would recommend. The calling: a life rocked by mountains.
I agree, I would also recommend this book.
AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

"Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson and "Eiger Dreams" by Jon Krakauer were very well written.

Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 455

No shortcuts to the top by Ed Viesturs.

And, It's not specific to Mountaineering, but an incredible sense of adventure comes from the two books I've read by Collin Angus, "Amazon Extreme" and the better of the two, "Lost in Mongolia". An older, and true account about a a guy who survived a wicked long time on the open ocean is called "Adrift". Sorry for swinging slightly off topic there, but just in case you wanted to switch it up a bit after you've worked thru the other good suggestions.

I can second the recommendation of Kiss or Kill by MT, read it twice and really enjoyed it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ultra classic "Annapurna", by Herzog. The difficulties that they overcame with the gear and tech that was available at the time is beyond comparison, an excellent read for any mountaineer...they didn't even have a reliable map, if those early pioneers could see the beta we churn out on MP they'd all be rolling over in their graves!

Nick Niebuhr · · CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 465

somebody might have already mentioned Starlight and Storm but that's a great read

Crotch Robbins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 277

The Shining Mountain

Mountain of my Fear

Zac.St.Jules wrote:Tom, you read Twight's "kiss or kill"?
I've not, I skipped it hearing EA was the synthesis of ideas originating in there...
Matt Carroll wrote:Barry Blanchard's book is quite good. Would recommend. The calling: a life rocked by mountains.
BB was definitely one of the best speakers I've ever heard, probably only on par with Vince Andersen's talk of NP, think I should probe give that one a try.

..... tablet doesn't let me edit....

Has anyone compared a few of the Nanga Parbat readings and has some thoughts on which is best?? Buhl's , Messner's , House's and which book? I wanted to tap into one of the more historical ascents but looks like theres four options at least...

Sean Peter · · IL · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 105

Not just alpinism- Teewinot by Jack Turner

Gokul G · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 1,748

Messner's 'Naked Mountain' (Nanga Parbat) is an interesting read. Herzog's 'Annapurna' is great.

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130
Tom Sherman wrote: I've not, I skipped it hearing EA was the synthesis of ideas originating in there...
Well if you don't want pedagogic then read Twight's Kiss or Kill. It's a collection of his stories that he had published over the years. Quite a good read, especially if you like gloomier stuff that doesn't take things too seriously, or have an affinity for Skinny Puppy.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "a good read - alpinism"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started