Mountain Project Logo

a good read - alpinism

Jacon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 200

Oh, also, some books you SHOULDN'T read, because I don't care about anybody: 

Shitty writing:  Eiger Dreams, The Calling 

Obnoxious chip on shoulder & shitty writing: Mountains of My Life 

Dubious facts & shitty writing: Into Thin Air 

Books you definitely should read, but which aren't as amazing as those other ones I mentioned in my first post: Conquistadors of the Useless, The White Spider, Mountain of My Fear, Touching the Void.  

Generally you can trust @PaulMagnusCalabro's taste, except he's got a blind spot for Bonatti.  

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

I thought The Calling was pretty good. Mountain of My Fear is also really good. I think David Roberts is really the godfather of modern writing about climbing. I enjoyed The Tower a Great Deal. I felt like Kiss or Kill was interesting, but a bit too much ego stroking for me. 

My all time favorite is Annapurna. I've read that 3 times now. 

I still haven't read Conquistadors of the Useless, but I really want to. 

On the Nose, by Hans Florine was surprisingly compelling. Much better than I was expecting, though it might have been because I read it right after my first trip up The Nose. 

Minus 148 (degrees) was really good. Just reading it made me feel destroyed by the conditions. 

I'm a HUGE sucker for reasonably good writing about climbing. I will read most anything on the topic. However, I REALLY dislike climbing fiction. It seems pointless to make up stories when there are so many true stories that are beyond the imagination. 

David Stephens · · Superior AZ · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,005

On the heights and the great days by Walter Bonatti. They changed my life.

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

Explorers of the Infinite

Matt Racicot · · Durango · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 10

Second to Kelly Cordes The Tower

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply