Mountain Project Logo

Prana sold at Wal-Mart

Original Post
Joe De Luca · · yucca valley · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 127

So what do you guys think about the life of a company once Walmart start selling them, this is the link so you can buy Prana from Walmart because seeing is believing. walmart.com/ip/prAna-Men-s-…

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140

$66 dollar mojo shorts! Damn inflation !

Wasn't that kind of tricky looks like it comes from Walmart advertise buy Walmart but you are right sold and shipped from somebody else still think it will not do any good for Walmart image or prana

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,978

So it is 12* and blowing hard here. So, stuck indoors with a wood stove (off grid). Therefore I will be your huckleberry and ramble on.

I think it is the beginning of the end. Like back in the day, way back, when North Face made good stuff consistently.

And, having just been guilty of the same insensitivity myself, I might suggest that the opening line starts with something like "you folks".

Zach M · · Summersville, WV · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 0

I would say it's a fluke but to me it looks like Walmart is taking over the outdoor industry if you search their products you will see Patagonia MSR thermarest Nemo Sterling Metolius mammot petzl and many more. This will hurt the mom and pop shops.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Joe De Luca wrote:I would say it's a fluke but to me it looks like Walmart is taking over the outdoor industry if you search their products you will see Patagonia MSR thermarest Nemo Sterling Metolius mammot petzl and many more. This will hurt the mom and pop shops.
Except Walmart is not selling them... they are being sold by smaller companies on Walmart's marketplace. It's exactly the same as someone selling Patagonia on Amazon.
dahigdon · · phoenix, Az · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 220
Roy Suggett wrote:So it is 12* and blowing hard here. So, stuck indoors with a wood stove (off grid). Therefore I will be your huckleberry and ramble on. I think it is the beginning of the end. Like back in the day, way back, when North Face made good stuff consistently. And, having just been guilty of the same insensitivity myself, I might suggest that the opening line starts with something like "you folks".
Off gid with internet eh???

Passive/active solar home heated only with a wood stove. A "palig" ran a line to his 6500 sq ft home about a mile down the rd. I had planted the conduit when I cleared the rd (1000 ft) up (by hand) many years back. Sooo... free hook-up. Beats driving into town (77 souls) to get a signal. Is that not off the grid? No power other than sunshine and a full moon.

Mike Bond · · Kentucky · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 3,191
R. Moran wrote:$66 dollar mojo shorts! Damn inflation !
Ryan, those shorts are worth $66 bucks...you know the ones you bought in 1999 are still functional
R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140
dnoB ekiM wrote: Ryan, those shorts are worth $66 bucks...you know the ones you bought in 1999 are still functional
True I own several pair. I did like the old ones better. the elastic seems to grow tired over the years tho. Wonder if they'd warranty it? If you are around Presidents Day weekend I'll be down. Love to get out with you. Been too long!
Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

Columbia Sportwear is the parent company of Mountain Hardware, Prana, Sorel and Montrail.

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640
Roy Suggett wrote:Passive/active solar home heated only with a wood stove. A "palig" ran a line to his 6500 sq ft home about a mile down the rd. I had planted the conduit when I cleared the rd (1000 ft) up (by hand) many years back. Sooo... free hook-up. Beats driving into town (77 souls) to get a signal. Is that not off the grid? No power other than sunshine and a full moon.
We have used Hughes/Dishnet for 9years here...5 miles from power,,works decent with a small PV set up

Lots sun today reflecting off the snow at 9K

For years people bought bolting gear at hardware stores..most still do..think we'll see Fixe at Home Depot ?

The Cedar City UT Ace Hardware sells climbing gear, as well as "climbing" bolts.

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392
Zach M wrote:https://www.walmart.com/ip/Metolius-20Astro-20Nut/593156312 oh no!
Hah! This is really weird to see.
rob.calm · · Loveland, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 630

Brick and Mortar businesses such as Walmart have obvious and well-known difficulties with the increasing share of business being done online. One way large businesses can profit from the online market is to allow advertising on their webpages. This is a curious reversal of the way things used to work. For example, Walmart advertised in newspapers (of course, it still does), but now so many people go to their website that these eyeballs became a valuable commodity for Walmart. So they sell advertising space on their website just as newspapers sell advertising. This has become a growing part of their revenue stream. Thus if you’ve been identified as the sort of person who uses mountainproject.com (ok, maybe not that but you’ve looked at sites for outdoor or climbing gear or athletic clothing) a presumably appropriate advertisement may appear when you log on to walmart.com.

Here’s a little bit more technical stuff on how it’s done (probably not of interest to most people).

Sites can generate advertising in one of two ways. First, they can have a very focused and valuable audience. For example, travel sites can identify who's researching travel to specific destinations, which creates media and audiences that can be sold to hotels, airlines and so on. Automotive research sites provide some of the highest value audiences. Or, sites can just generate scale, and sell access to audiences on the auction exchanges, where advertisers often seek specific audience members based on actions from other sites, such as the travel site example above.

Most of the media is sold on an auction basis. The auctions work as a "second price" auction, rounding to the nearest 100th of a cent. If the top bidder, bid a price of $0.0031 to deliver an individual ad, and the second bidder had bid $0.0026 - the top bidder would get charged $.0027 to place the ad, one 100th of a cent more than the second bidder's offer. The bidding software constantly monitors bid-to-clearing ratios and is always trying to optimize at the site or page level to obtain the best clearing prices. Because advertisers want to manage the number of times an individual is targeted, they don't need to win every opportunity against that user. Often campaigns can reach users effectively, even if they are only winning 15% to 20% of their bids, as they'll "see" that user again on the next click, even on other sites. If their bids are "clearing" at too high of a rate, say 50% plus, the software notices that the bidder is maxing out on individual users too fast and will lower bidding on these individuals.

Rob.calm

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 66
Jarmland wrote: They're just not the same anymore. I recently ordered a new par after having used mine to shreds over the years. Put them on and everything felt wrong. Not the same fit, not the same material. Had a look inside, label says Made in China. Checked the label om my old, worn pair. Made in USA.
They definitely changed. I tried to refresh my collection and different styles I purchased were inconsistent in size, with all bigger than older shorts. I am not sure if it is a case of vanity sizing (the waist size increased in later year models) or just poor control of their manufacturing as they farm it off to different locations.
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
rob.calm wrote:Brick and Mortar businesses such as Walmart have obvious and well-known difficulties with the increasing share of business being done online. One way large businesses can profit from the online market is to allow advertising on their webpages. This is a curious reversal of the way things used to work. For example, Walmart advertised in newspapers (of course, it still does), but now so many people go to their website that these eyeballs became a valuable commodity for Walmart. So they sell advertising space on their website just as newspapers sell advertising. This has become a growing part of their revenue stream. Thus if you’ve been identified as the sort of person who uses mountainproject.com (ok, maybe not that but you’ve looked at sites for outdoor or climbing gear or athletic clothing) a presumably appropriate advertisement may appear when you log on to walmart.com. Here’s a little bit more technical stuff on how it’s done (probably not of interest to most people). Sites can generate advertising in one of two ways. First, they can have a very focused and valuable audience. For example, travel sites can identify who's researching travel to specific destinations, which creates media and audiences that can be sold to hotels, airlines and so on. Automotive research sites provide some of the highest value audiences. Or, sites can just generate scale, and sell access to audiences on the auction exchanges, where advertisers often seek specific audience members based on actions from other sites, such as the travel site example above. Most of the media is sold on an auction basis. The auctions work as a "second price" auction, rounding to the nearest 100th of a cent. If the top bidder, bid a price of $0.0031 to deliver an individual ad, and the second bidder had bid $0.0026 - the top bidder would get charged $.0027 to place the ad, one 100th of a cent more than the second bidder's offer. The bidding software constantly monitors bid-to-clearing ratios and is always trying to optimize at the site or page level to obtain the best clearing prices. Because advertisers want to manage the number of times an individual is targeted, they don't need to win every opportunity against that user. Often campaigns can reach users effectively, even if they are only winning 15% to 20% of their bids, as they'll "see" that user again on the next click, even on other sites. If their bids are "clearing" at too high of a rate, say 50% plus, the software notices that the bidder is maxing out on individual users too fast and will lower bidding on these individuals. Rob.calm
Thank you! That was a really good synopsis of a lot of stuff that would be tl;dr if Googled for those of us interested but not in the direct business (speaking of myself, for now at least).
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Marc801 wrote: Thank you! That was a really good synopsis of a lot of stuff that would be tl;dr if Googled for those of us interested but not in the direct business (speaking of myself, for now at least).
And the entire auction process occurs in less than 1/10th of a second. The volume is, of course, huge: hundreds of millions of events per second. Yea, ad serving is big, high tech business.
doug rouse · · Denver, CO. · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 660

The end is near

Mark lewin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

I just got BD #2 and #3 cams from a dollar tree store

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Prana sold at Wal-Mart"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started