Mountain Project Logo

Boulder Rock Club or Movement

Original Post
Michael Spiesbach · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 105

Just moved to Boulder and I live about a mile from each of these places.. it's getting cold and it's no longer light out after work so my post work trips to sanitas/flagstaff are kinda on hold till spring.. I'm just not committed enough to go out when it's cold and dark.

These gyms seem comparable in terms of price and offering some yoga/fitness center amenities.. so my question is which gym do you guys like ? and why.. buying a day pass is like over 1/4 of a monthly membership so I'd rather just pick one and go rather than try them both out.. though I may do a month at one then a month at the other..

Michael Goodhue · · Colorado · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 35

Do a month at each and try it out. The best gym is the one all your friends climb at.

Movement
pros: bigger, steeper, lead walls. I think it's easier to climb there during peak hours due to some segregation of walls by difficulty. more yoga and fitness classes. newer facility.

BRC
pros: friendlier vibe, more bouldering, autobelays, exchange day with the Spot for a bouldering fix

They are both great places.

Thanks for the insight.. since we just moved here a month ago.. out list of friends is pretty small hoping to meet a few like minded people at the gym.

Mike D · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 845

I picked Movement, because that's where the two climbers I knew here in Boulder climb... But I don't really climb with them ever. I don't think you can go wrong with either place.

Movement is also a couple of minutes quicker to get to for me, so that's a plus.

climberish · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10

Movement has two facilities (Boulder and Denver) instead of just the one in Boulder for the BRC... if you get bored at the Boulder movement you can change it up nd take the drive to the Denver facility (which is better IMO).

Mike D · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 845

Good point, climberish...

I'm down in Denver once or twice a week for work, and often swing in for a quick bouldering sesh when the mood strikes. I haven't been on the ropes there, but the bouldering area definitely has more variety than the Boulder gym.

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
crakatoa wrote:since we just moved here a month ago..
You should try both...But Movement definitely has a larger young, singles crowd while BRC is a bit more family oriented. If you are just trying to get your climbing fix in the colder months, either will work.
pfwein Weinberg · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2006 · Points: 71
Goodhue wrote: . . . BRC pros: friendlier vibe, more bouldering, autobelays, exchange day with the Spot for a bouldering fix They are both great places.
Interesting take. I think there's substantially more and better bouldering at Movement than at BRC, so YMMV
Chris Johnson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15

Been at both. BRC was great for me initially because of the auto-belays. I didn't know anyone in Boulder, so I could go in, climb my butt off for an hour or so, and go home. It was great for getting me in climbing shape. This fall, I switched to Movement. No auto-belays, but that forced me to meet people. There's a great group that meets via Meetup.com in Boulder. Monday and Thursday evenings and Tuesday mornings. Movement also runs a "rope up" class on Monday and Friday evenings and Wednesdays during lunch to pair people up who are looking for partners. These have really helped me meet climbers in the area, develop into a more well-rounded climber, and have more fun.

If all you're looking for at each is climbing, I'd say they are very similar. If you care about the classes, other equipment, etc. Movement wins. That being said, Movement is a bit more expensive.

Here's the link to the meetup for Boulder.

meetup.com/rockclimbing-80/

PM me if you ever want to climb. I'm free most evenings after work.

Abel Jones · · Bishop, CA · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 606

I did a month at each and decided to stick with BRC. I found that the setting style and large collection and diversity in holds made it a better place to train for real rock climbing (more painful crimping And an on-site feel due not knowing what all the holds will feel like). I also like the auto belays because it's easier to find another person who rolled in single and might want to rope up. Try them both out though and see what fits.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

go to movement denver for more secret microaggressions and sexual tension.

go to boulder rock club for more white rastafarian dreadlocks, subaru, and marijuana.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

At the rate the membership increases you might consider building a woodie :-) There will be another gym in Louisville in a couple of months

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

Your first visit to Movement is only $10. Cheap way to try before you buy.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Jim Turner wrote:Your first visit to Movement is only $10. Cheap way to try before you buy.
Used to be free.
Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55
Aleks Zebastian wrote:climbing friend, go to movement denver for more secret microaggressions and sexual tension. go to boulder rock club for more white rastafarian dreadlocks, subaru, and marijuana.
There's nothing secret about it...
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Both are great gyms and you won't go wrong at either.
Same for the Spot.
The joint BRC/Spot membership is a good deal.

You can be guested for free by a member once at each facility.
I'd be happy to guest you at the BRC if our schedules match.
Just lmk.

Thanks for the beta everyone.. I think I'll definitely take up the $10.00 first time at movement and am planning on attending that meet up next Monday there.. and then I may give BRC a try.. I figured that they both probably were comparable.

oakwood-jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

IMO...
Roped climbing is a toss up
Bouldering=Movement
Fitness facilities=Movement
Overall vibe/atmosphere=Movement

Definite winner in my mind. Not that BRC is bad... I'd be proud to have a membership there, but probably won't be switching anytime soon.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Boulder Rock Club or Movement"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started