Mountain Project Logo

WARNING! Over and Out/Over the Hill Eldo-Rincon... death block needs to be trundled.

Original Post
mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

I don't know who to report this to, but it needs to be taken care of.

There is a big loose death block in the gully left of the Over the hill anchor below the alcove at the base of Over the Hill's second pitch. This thing shifted when I touched it today and it obviously is loose and ready to go/needs to be trundled. It is the spire like rock in the middle, left of the tree and belay for Over the hill and in precarious position and stability. If this hits someone at the base when it goes it will kill them.

dameeser · · denver · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 271

Thanks,

send an email to The Action Committee for Eldorado (aceeldo@googlegroups.com) so they can be informed. They might want to get some more information from you.

Jon Sinclair · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 25

Everything in that alcove is loose. There's nothing new about that. Anyone at that anchor or moving up to the base of the second pitch has to be super-careful and if you're on the ground or climbing below a party at that anchor... be very wary.

Patrik · · Third rock from Sun · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 30
Jon Sinclair wrote:...There's nothing new about that. ...
This one is actually new. It has shifted significantly over the past two weeks and is now READY to go. Someone has grabbed this thing and wiggled it loose. Please, everyone: do NOT bring any beginners (or generally careless people) up on this ledge before this is taken care of. It is in the middle of the "hikers" path topping out on Emerald City/Over and Out going towards the common belay spot in the corner.
dameeser wrote:Thanks, send an email to The Action Committee for Eldorado (aceeldo@googlegroups.com) so they can be informed. They might want to get some more information from you.
Done, thanks Matt.
Jon Sinclair wrote:Everything in that alcove is loose. There's nothing new about that. Anyone at that anchor or moving up to the base of the second pitch has to be super-careful and if you're on the ground or climbing below a party at that anchor... be very wary.
While your general point to be wary is correct and well taken, your assumption that it is the same as it ever was is erroneous.
Brendan A · · Golden · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 115

If it is safe when this takes place I wouldn't mind seeing a video of such a rock being trundled.

Just a friendly bump due to uncertainty: I sent two emails to the ace address posted by Matt. Have had no reply so I don't know whether it's on anyone's radar who would take care of it.

Beware up there.

Mike McHugh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 420

It looks like I'll be up there with Matt & Mike S tomorrow. Trundling that block would damage a lot of brand new stone stairs - sounds like a perfect candidate to split and lower.

Thanks Mike, Glad to hear.

The rock is big but not gigantic. Might be able to sling and lower without splitting it.

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
Mike McHugh wrote:It looks like I'll be up there with Matt & Mike S tomorrow. Trundling that block would damage a lot of brand new stone stairs - sounds like a perfect candidate to split and lower.
I just want to toss it out there for folks who get down and out about land managers and such...
Uhm... think this over and about how well taken care of we are by this park and its staff.

Thanks Mike, and thank the park on our behalf for having you there!
mike schlauch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 250

We went up on Friday afternoon and moved a large loose block away from the edge and back toward the flat spot below p2 of OTH. There are many loose blocks on that ledge but this one was particularly precarious. Be careful in that area and definitely think twice about hanging out on the ground when there is a party up on that ledge.

Up instead of down, good solution!

Thanks for taking care of it!

Mike McHugh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 420

--- Invalid image id: 112253453 ---

OK, I deleted the warning condition reports on those routes in the route guide.

Thanks again guys.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "WARNING! Over and Out/Over the Hill Eldo-Rincon…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started