Mountain Project Logo

Recommendations for Wind River Range guidebook?

Original Post
Sam Day · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

Just as the title says, heading to Wyoming in a few days and would like to seek out a guidebook before hand.

Multipitch moderates are what's on the table for me, so a guidebook that is heavy in that category would be great.

Cheers,
Sam

Norm Larson · · Wilson, Wy. · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 60

You want Joe Kelsey's " climbing and hiking in the wind river mountains".

Aaron Danforth · · Cody, WY · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 0

I found the info on mountain project to be better/more complete than in any of the guidebooks. Kelsey's book is flat out wrong on its topo of the NE Face of Pingora.

Rusty Shackleford · · Boulder County aka The Cent… · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

+1 on MP info. I have Rebecca woods' hiking guide to wind river and found that to be more useful than JK's book. Her book has more detailed info on peaks and their locations along with logistical info for getting into the winds. SummitPost has a good topo for pingora. I got a printed copy and laminated it for the climb. JK's book its not worth the money if you're just looking to do long moderates.

Arlo F Niederer · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 515

I would recommend "Climbing in the Cirque of the Towers and Deep Lake" by Steve Bechtel.

The only climbs you will find in the Winds are multipich Trad climbs - no sport routes here!

Covers the two best areas for rock climbing in the Winds. Good route descriptions and excellent pictures with lines showing the routes.

Forrest Williams · · Denver · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 25

Getting comparable info (to other popular areas) on climbs is quite hard even combining all the resources mentioned. The climbing and hiking guide is good but large, heavy, and not waterproof. Steve's book is alright depending on how much adventure you like. His book is likely to lead you into such. Mountain project is alright except most people are just trying to figure out where they got lost. It's an adventurous and amazing place. Have fun!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Recommendations for Wind River Range guidebook?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started