Mountain Project Logo

Gri Gri 2 Top Rope Soloing

Original Post
A M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 25

Hi,

Does anyone have any knowledge on top rope soloing with a grigri? Best methods for backing it up mainly.. I would like the ability to run laps on single pitch stuff to dial in technique, but without having to deal with a bored partner. I know the micro traxion is the best method, but I've already got a grigri and wouldn't mind saving $100 - although I'm not opposed to making the purchase. Just wanted to see what my options were.

Thanks for anything you might know!

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 760

Money well spent. Just buy the minitrax.

Brett Kitchen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 10

You can place an overhand on a bite in the line once you get a bit off the ground, so that even if the Gri fails you'll stop on that knot.

Mike Gibson · · Payson, AZ · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 0

It'll work, but after a while you will realize the hassle and buy a better device.

Aaron Nash · · North Bend, WA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 212

Back it up by tying a few knots in the line below the grigri. You can also back it up by tying a few loops on another fixed strand of rope periodically and clipping those to your belay loop.

If it's something you're going to do a bunch, I recommend just getting the microtrax. I could never get my grigri2 to autofeed and have to haul in slack at good rests (if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it). The microtrax runs smooth with no hassles. I currently run a grigri on one line and a microtrax on another when I TR solo and have had good luck.

There's tons of info and different setups out there on this too. Strengthen your google-fu, grasshopper.

Ethan Little · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 273

I've been using the same setup Aaron mentions. It works, but it's still annoying to pull slack through the grigri, especially if there aren't good stances every few feet.

I'm currently looking for a single rope, microtrax+something setup that auto-feeds, which will prevent the cluster that two ropes and a grigri create.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Toprope soloing with a GriGri sounds like a pain in the arse - having to stop and pull slack through the device. I use two mini-Traxions and that feeds well.

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960

GriGri 1 TR no prob, tie pack or h20 bottles to end of rope to pull. Tie one knot at some point above the ground and good to go... 2 however has got to be major PITA!

Brian Matusiewicz · · Liberty, SC · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 35

I've used the mircotrax with the grigri but my usual setup for solo is the mirco with the petzl ascension ascender. Both feed pretty well. But if you're gonna be rappelling down then you have to bring your rappel device with you (reverso 4 for me). So it's more gear to carry. Cheapest would probably be 2 lines and clipping into a loop on the 2nd.

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

If you're going to do anything hard, you probably won't like using a Grigri or backup knots. Ascenders, Microcenders, Mini Traxions, etc. (though all have their separate drawbacks) are the way to go because once weighted, they let the rope feed smoothly.

I used to stop and tie backup knots. Then I went to pretied backup knots that I clipped. Finally, I switched to tying the rope so as to have two independent strands and using a device on each. The setup is more time-consuming and it does require more gear, but that system has made solo TR so much more enjoyable and so much safer.

Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,040
Heath Glasgow · · Golden, CO · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 64

I'm new to rope soloing, and am in the same situation (only own a GriGri 2). Tying the rope into a ground anchor with some slack (rather than tying into a weight) seems like it solves the issue of the rope not feeding. But does this create any new issues?

Wiled Horse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

Anyone ever seen the movie Groundhog Day?

drewp · · Vegas · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 1,616

Should note that if the grigri twists sideways while you are climbing above it and then you fall on it you can snap the belay biner. Rare but has happened.

Chris H · · Seattle, Wa · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 563

for any and all TR solo stuff, I like to use steel steel locking carabiners with a high strength in the minor axis direction, such as the: CAMP steel ovral pro 3lock:

https://www.camp-usa.com/outdoor/product/carabiners/steel-oval-pro-3lock-carabiner/

Jaxon Stuhr · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 25

Started TR soloing recently and here's what I've found works best:

If you're climbing something easy with good stances every 5-6 feet, single line with a gri-gri is fine. Keep it above your waist with shoulder slings and a rubber band and tie knots below the gri-gri when you can. But if its that easy then just solo it.

If you're climbing something harder/steeper, get the microtraxion. Two lines (for me usually one rope with each side isolated) with the micro on one and the gri-gri on the other. Hold micro up with slings over your shoulders and a rubber band, pull slack through the gri-gri when you get the chance. Weight both lines, micro doesn't need much to feed well. 

For those who haven't found this group yet, there is a pretty active discussion on TRS here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/RopeSolo/ ​​​

Chris H wrote: for any and all TR solo stuff, I like to use steel steel locking carabiners with a high strength in the minor axis direction, such as the: CAMP steel ovral pro 3lock:

https://www.camp-usa.com/outdoor/product/carabiners/steel-oval-pro-3lock-carabiner/

Dumb question: Is it same rod stock as the screw gate? I use the screw gate but ordered the one you linked. Goblin clip in opening is something small like 11mm so many BFLs don't fit in the hole.

Wiled Horse wrote:

Dumb question: Is it same rod stock as the screw gate? I use the screw gate but ordered the one you linked. Goblin clip in opening is something small like 11mm so many BFLs don't fit in the hole.

Wish I could tell you.  I noticed the screw gate had a lower minor axis strength (I think?). I'd email the manufacturer to ask that question.

Chris H wrote:

Wish I could tell you.  I noticed the screw gate had a lower minor axis strength (I think?). I'd email the manufacturer to ask that question.

Wow! Yes correct.. minor axis for one I have is 7. The one you recommended is 15. 

Heath Glasgow · · Golden, CO · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 64

I believe that rod stock just means that the cross section of the carabiner is a circle rather than I-beam construction

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Gri Gri 2 Top Rope Soloing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started