Mountain Project Logo

Duck feet and shoes

Original Post
Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

Yup it's a shoe thread.

So I have very square and wide feet. Normally this isn't an issue as I just crammed my feet into my climbing shoes. Alas I turned 38 and picked up some foot pain. I won't bore you with the details but I'm now looking for a wide climbing shoe.

Anyone know of a brand / model that will work with wide feet with a square toe box?

As a frame of reference I currently wear a LaSpirtiva Miria lace up, size 41.5. The length is perfect but they're too narrow.

Harry Netzer · · Roxbury, CT · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 145

Miura lace is probably one of the worst choices. Try Miura vs, worked for me. Testarossa is also designed for wider feet

Bill Shubert · · Lexington, MA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 55

Mythos fit almost any feet because the leather will (after a week or two) stretch to be exactly the shape of your feet.

But Mythos don't have quite as much performance is Miura in a lot of cases, so there is some cost to the better fit.

DonGillespie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 6

I joke that shoe boxes usually fit my feet better than the shoes that come in them but I've had pretty good luck with 5.10 Anasazis. I have the pinks and the VCS and they're the most comfortable I've found so far.

Just Jesse · · Methuen, MA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 5

Same here... total box feet. I really like the old Scarpa Vapor V's. They seemed to stretch in the right places. Can't comment on the newest version though... i hear they've changed things up.

Sam Stephens · · PORTLAND, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 1,090

Might try Katana Lace, my wife has really wide feet and they work for her along with Testarossas

David Morison · · salt lake city, UT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 70

check out the new (blue) 5.10 quantums for a wide shoe that seems similar to a lace up muria. The dragons fit my feet perfectly(the outside edge of feet behind my pinky kinda bulge). Boreal used to sell a lot of nice wide'ish shoes. The only thing from La'sportiva that fit me were mythos's. It seems like all the Anisazi descendants are more of an average foot shape. Check out the new quantums and don't size them to stretch

Caz Drach · · C'Wood, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310

Boreal Satori

StonEmber · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 35

I have size 12/13 wide flat feet (great for smearing). My pool footprints look like a young big foot.
I didn't think I would fit in any la sportivas, but gambled on some tc pros (45.5)
best climbing shoes I've been able to fit into

Donovan Allen · · Soft Lake City · Joined May 2012 · Points: 356

Chad, have you tried evolv by chance? I have a EE width and have had luck with most of their shoes/models over the 5 years I've climbed. I usually fit to my street shoe. Some 5.10 models fit wide feet better than others beware.

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

+1 on Evolv and 5.10. I typically wear the earlier generation Demortos, but they're not made anymore. I wish Boreal would bring back the Vector.

Alan Emery · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 239

I would like 5.10 to bring back their Pitons. I could wear them all day and not have sore feet.

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

i have med-wide feet and large volume/tall size 10 feet. i can't fit in any slip-ons.

i've heard that la sportiva aren't good for wide feet but I find that i fit good in Nagos, Katana velcro and just got some tc pros that are starting to fit better, but there is almost all of the the tongue showing and looks pretty silly.

I can't fit in any of the evolv shoes that I've tried on. same for 5,10's. Maybe because of my tall foot.

I think this just shows you really need to try on a lot of shoes and see what fits you.

Steven N · · CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 80

The 5.10 Verdon fit wide feet AMAZINGLY well.

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56

I have wide feet (but with a narrow heel) and I have loved basically every scarpa I've worn except the boostic. Instinct and vapor have been awesome for me.

Eric K · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 45
Steven N wrote:The 5.10 Verdon fit wide feet AMAZINGLY well.
Another vote for the Verdon! I have the lace (full size down from street) for aggressive edging routes, and the VCS (half size down) for all day trad climbing/multipitch climbing.

I also love the hiangle for hard bouldering.

Eric
Mathias · · Loveland, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 306

I have Hobbit feet. The 5.10 moccs and Anasazi guides seem to be the best fit for me. The moccs will stretch a lot if, like me, you need that.

llanSan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 130

How about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjoSuMt0gQQ

a shoe to run and climb?

tulsontolf.com/products/qubit/

ScoJo · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 481
JK- wrote:I have wide feet (but with a narrow heel) and I have loved basically every scarpa I've worn except the boostic. Instinct and vapor have been awesome for me.
+1to Scarpa for wide feet

I also have wide feet and have found that Scarpa always seem to fit my foot shape. I've used the Vapors and Instincts. The Boostics also seemed to fit well, but I ended up going with the Instincts on my last buy.
Patrik · · Third rock from Sun · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 30

+1 Scarpa. Currently enjoying my Techno X. Stay away from Helix if you do much desert cracks: the side seams will go bust in a week.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Duck feet and shoes"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started