Mountain Project Logo

Training with busted ribs

Original Post
Max Koenig · · New Haven, CT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

Anyone have any advice for training while busted up? I broke 10 ribs on the right side of my body three weeks ago and I'm trying to figure out how to not get fat and weak while I recover. I'm able to go on walks now but I was hoping to incorporate some climbing specific exercise.

Any ideas?

NickO · · West Slope · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 30

Crunches

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

..and comedy shows

Wow what great ideas... I think I'll also inhale some pepper and do some boxing

Quinn Baker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1

I feel like crunches would exacerbate rib pain, but I dont know, I'm not a doctor lol. Perhaps planks would be a better choice, since you wouldnt be flexing your ribs as much?

I would try to isolate climbing-related muscle groups that you can train without your ribs hurting. Maybe get a grip training device or see if hangboarding would be okay to do. Of course, speak to your doctor about it before you start anything. Maybe you can find some yoga poses or stretches that will help you maintain flexibility while you recover.

Steve Mullins · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 0

When I busted ribs a few weeks back I couldn't do anything for a few days/first week, after that the only thing that didn't hurt was hangboarding. So I took a 4 weeks and just hung a few times a week

chris vultaggio · · The Gunks · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 535

Second the hangboarding (careful jumping down of course), it'll still make you feel like a climber. Also you can get on wrist curls, shoulders and tris as opposing group stabilizers.

Having busted ribs before, I did pretty well with cycling as my cardio fix during my recovery, then pushed it back to MTB after healing. Obviously you want to avoid anything with potential impact (bouldering, trailrunning) lest you re-break the ribs or push a busted one through an organ.

10 ribs is a lot man, did you end up with a flail segment?

chris_vultaggio wrote:10 ribs is a lot man, did you end up with a flail segment?
Go big or go home right? Fortunately I don't have a flail segment. I did end up with a pretty major collapsed lung but 4 days with a chest tube took care of that.
Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635

Not gonna lie, injuries in the core are REALLY hard to work around. I've never broken a rib, but have definitely torn and pulled muscles in the rib cage. There's no way I could have hungboard with those injuries; the exercise actually does rely on a bit of core engagement.

MaxwellK wrote: Go big or go home right? Fortunately I don't have a flail segment. I did end up with a pretty major collapsed lung but 4 days with a chest tube took care of that.
Damn dude. Glad to see you're okay though. Recovery is extremely important so better to get weak and recover fully than to try and stay strong and re-injure yourself.

Care to share the story behind your injury? I understand if you don't want to but it might be quite an interesting read if you feel like sharing.
chris vultaggio · · The Gunks · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 535
MaxwellK wrote: Go big or go home right? Fortunately I don't have a flail segment. I did end up with a pretty major collapsed lung but 4 days with a chest tube took care of that.
Seriously - I had something similar, hit a tree snowboarding and exploded my left lung, pneumothorax with 50% collapse.

Healing goes quick - frustrating at times - try and get stoked on some new training methods to work around the injury. Heal up and hope you get out and back to climbing asap.
Peter Howes · · Beverly, MA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 80

Wow, crazy. This just happened to a friend of mine.

I would imagine that hangboarding is out of the question for a while yet, but it depends on what is comfortable. Seated wrist curls are probably the only thing that a MD would recommend. Its great to here that you are crushing those walks. Maybe try walking while carrying two light weights in each hand? This could get a little forearm pump going.

Try to get into a pool as soon as possible. Going to be much more safe, comfortable and fun.

vimeo.com/16553629

Probably a more important resource:

mountainproject.com/v/post-…

Good luck brother!

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

If hangboarding is too painful you could try hanging weight from pinch blocks and walking around with them (or just sitting).

Finger and wrist curls. Maybe try to get a pump going with a long rice bucket workout.

Mathias · · Loveland, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 306

Sounds like isolating the hands and arms, and the legs will allow you to keep at least parts of you in good shape. I don't know what kind of leg specific weight machines are available at gyms these days, but maybe you could take a look at that.

Quinn Baker wrote: Recovery is extremely important so better to get weak and recover fully than to try and stay strong and re-injure yourself.
Realistically this is probably good advice.

Quinn Baker wrote:Care to share the story behind your injury? I understand if you don't want to but it might be quite an interesting read if you feel like sharing.
Yeah, sure. I was working for a tree care company and after following some bad advice from a more seasoned employee I fell 30 feet out of a tree we were removing and landed on the chainsaw that I had attached to my harness. I fell while rappelling out of the tree when my rope system slipped off the stub it was over. In addition to the broken ribs and lung issues, I suffered some minor bruising of my kidney and an (fortunately) inconsequential fracture of my C2 vertebrae. I am definitely incredibly lucky that I've gotten off as easy as I have.

Peter Howes wrote:Wow, crazy. This just happened to a friend of mine.
Hey Pete...

powhound84 wrote:Have you sneezed yet?
I sneezed for the first time a couple days ago and almost started crying.
MaxwellK wrote: Realistically this is probably good advice. Yeah, sure. I was working for a tree care company and after following some bad advice from a more seasoned employee I fell 30 feet out of a tree we were removing and landed on the chainsaw that I had attached to my harness. I fell while rappelling out of the tree when my rope system slipped off the stub it was over. In addition to the broken ribs and lung issues, I suffered some minor bruising of my kidney and an (fortunately) inconsequential fracture of my C2 vertebrae. I am definitely incredibly lucky that I've gotten off as easy as I have. Hey Pete... I sneezed for the first time a couple days ago and almost started crying.
Thank you for sharing, that is a crazy story for sure... Hope your recovery goes well and you can start climbing again soon!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Training with busted ribs"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.