Mountain Project Logo

Looking for new car, suggestions?

Original Post
Hamik Mukelyan · · Palos Verdes, Los Angeles · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 310

Yo MP,

I'm currently rocking a 2006 Kia Sportage which has served surprisingly well given the limits of its brand image and some NPR program's blessing as "second most feminine car" by number of female registrations. In particular, it

1. hasn't had mechanical problems in 133,000 miles;
2. is super comfortable for one 5'8" dude to sleep in and moderately comfortable when my climbing partner joins me;
3. has high enough clearance for most dirt roads; and
4. had options for leather seats and a black interior, which make it look cleaner than it really is.

Given that it's at 133,000 miles and has started to make croaky noises when it's cold in the mornings (unrelated question: any idea why it does that? I know nothing about cars...), I'm starting to save up for a replacement. The only things I particularly care about are

1. being able to sleep in the back for 2-7 days at a time in relative comfort. My Kia is perfect for this:

Note how the back seats fold flat and that when the space between the driver/passenger seats and the folded rear seats is stuffed, it extends the flat area so that a 5'8" person can lie down comfortably. My car's passenger seat folds completely flat, which is a bonus, but I can get by without that;
2. has clearance high enough for dirt roads. I don't really care about 4WD or AWD since I live in LA and it hasn't been necessary for me; and
3. has blank interior with leather.

I like the Kia enough that I'm considering buying a used 2006 one to replace my current abused one, but I realized I just didn't know what other options are good! Any ideas? I drive a LOT, so leasing isn't an option. Open to new or used cars up to $25,000.
JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

The Subaru Outback is popular for good reason. It probably plays a similar role to you Kia, in that it is a regular passenger vehicle with pretty good gas mileage (30 mpg on highway), but has enough space to sleep in comfortably. Look for a used one circa 2006; that was a good year/model.

Slartibartfast · · Magrathea · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

I always thought a Honda Fit looked like a great car for traveling in. Great gas mileage, tons of storage, and can be used for well under $10,000. Use the leftover $15k to buy 60,000 packs of ramen and you should be set for a bit.

Doug S · · W Pa · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 55
JCM wrote:The Subaru Outback is popular for good reason.
+1

The Triple Mad Pad folds out and fills the hatch area perfectly with the back seats folded all the way down.
Paul Winkler · · San Mateo, CA · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 265
Slartibartfast wrote:I always thought a Honda Fit looked like a great car for traveling in. Great gas mileage, tons of storage, and can be used for well under $10,000. Use the leftover $15k to buy 60,000 packs of ramen and you should be set for a bit.
+1 to this. I own a 2012 Honda fit and have built a nice platform in it that can be collapsed in <5 minutes for driving mode. I'm 5'9" and my partner and I sleep comfortably in the back with plenty of extra space.
Rwwon ru · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 35

If it ain't broken...

But seriously, if you haven't had many problems with it, hang onto it. And if you are hearing a noise, go get it checked out.

The car I have owned has been far from perfect, but learning to fix things and keeping on top of it has kept me from having to take on a car payment. I am aiming to get at least 350,000 miles out of it at this rate and I haven't had a car payment in 5 years.

But if you are just looking for a change, then +1 to the comments above.

DannyUncanny · · Vancouver · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 100

I just bought a 91 Civic hatchback. Cost me $1000 and performs about the same (I have to go diagonal to sleep in the back).

J Sundstrom · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 188

My 2007 Toyota Matrix has held up quite well and, with proper care, I expect it to last well beyond the current 115k. Probably needs a wash in the next 3k or so.

It's a hatchback, rear seats fold down, I've slept in it, and taken it down several dirt roads that I probably shouldn't have. Great gas mileage, too.

Will S · · Joshua Tree · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,061

Two-three year old Prius. Should be able to find one around 25k mi for $12-14k. 52mpg city/hwy, twin mattress fits in the rear between the wheel wells with front seats forward. If you are 5'10" or under, you don't need any diagonal action.

No guts = no speeding tickets. Cheap to insure, cheap to put tires on. Toyota reliability. Drive them to 120k, sell em off before the hybrid cells needs major service or replacement.

I can stick my mtn bike in the back, and it's got good features for an econobox type car. Power windows/locks/mirrors, keyless ignition, bluetooth, good stereo, steering wheel audio controls, cruise control, etc. I got a 2010 at the end of 2012 for $12k, certified pre-owned on a lease return with a warranty and new tires, new floor mats, etc. Been a great car so far. Tons of them here in SoCal, never heard anyone complain that owns one.

Lee Green · · Edmonton, Alberta · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 51
Will S wrote:...Drive them to 120k, sell em off before the hybrid cells needs major service or replacement...
We have a 2004 Prius, and I agree with everything but this part. We have just over 200,000 mi on ours, and no problem. The battery is still doing just fine. Still getting over 47 mpg reliably, 52 in warm weather.

The other car we use for our climbing trips is a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Room, comfort, quality, fuel economy, reliability... hard to beat.
Hamik Mukelyan · · Palos Verdes, Los Angeles · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 310

Thanks for all the replies! I think the takeaway message here is that I ought to drive my car into the ground (with a bit of maintenance) then think about replacing it. I hadn't really considered a Prius because I thought it'd be too small, so it was great to hear that it works for you. I'll definitely look into that when the time comes.

Corey Scheip · · Saluda, NC · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 15
Hamik Mukelyan wrote:...I hadn't really considered a Prius because I thought it'd be too small, so it was great to hear that it works for you. I'll definitely look into that when the time comes.
Nowadays they are making a few sizes of the Prius and one of them just looks daggum huge. I think it's the Prius V. Check it out.
doug rouse · · Denver, CO. · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 660

Mini Cooper

generationfourth · · Irvine, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 10

nissan nv200 or ford transit

Roman G · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 205

Making noises in the morning esp. when its cold out while driving or standing still?

Usually means suspension ( could be struts are cold, springs are making noises) nothing to worry about really.

If when the car is standing/idling right after you start means belts, or steering pump...nothing to worry about YET. Does the noise increase when you try to turn the wheel?

Prolly still can go on for awhile.

I can tell you that when its cold all cars make some interior noise due to interior panels getting cold.

Even when got my car brand new (2013 Infiniti G37S 6MT) with 20 miles on odometer when it was super cold out sometimes it made some panel noise.

I would keep it and drive it unless you want to get into something else.

mbakerwh · · Gallup, NM · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

Tacoma? Just sayin.....

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

After driving trucks for more than 20 years, I decided I was done with that and got this instead:

True, it will not get me to Turkey Rocks ever, but my partner has a Tacoma for that. Everywhere else I climb this works great. You can fold down the rear seats and put your legs in the trunk, which I am going to go home and try out tonight. My ex wife used to have the same car back in 2003 and I always loved driving it over my Frontier.

Gas milage was a little over 24 MPG city/highway last tank and the creature comforts are just awesome. Plus, it takes corners really well and doesn't lean like a truck, which makes up for 99.9% of my yearly driving. Also, this year model has a timing chain on the 4 cylinder engine, which is just perfect.

It also has a sun roof if I need my front seat passenger to return fire to any following vehicles.
NickinCO · · colorado · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 155

Love my truck. Without the boats on the roof I would average 19/20mpg on the highway. The new eco diesel ram gets closer to 30mpg I believe. Mine is the 400hp/400torque motor so plenty of power for the mountains. I have a sleeping platform that lifts up for storage along with a extra deep cell battery that powers a 1000w sine wave inverter, lights, and an oscillating fan mounted to the ceiling. Spending a month in it in May on a trip to the NW.

Truck camping

Sirius · · Oakland, CA · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 660

+Another on the Honda Fit.

Doesn't have any clearance, but can do any Eastside TH road or hot spring road w/o problem. We've taken ours all kinds of places in the Sierra, Nevada basin and range country, and up and down dirt roads of the Co Plateau, cannot say enough how much we love it. Previous cars were Subaru (bad experience, bad luck on shit engine) and Honda CR-V (fine though prefer the Fit)

35+mpg combined, low 40's hwy. So much smart storage space that it'll amaze you even after years of cramming it full of stuff. At 6' and 5'8, my partner and I and our 45 lb dog have slept in it many times.

Recommend the manual over the automatic.

K-Tanz · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 221

1989 Buick Lesabre. Purchased for $500. Custom paint, functioning A/C, cruise control, power everything. With a fresh tuneup it gets 30 mpg highway I shit you not. Seats 5 comfortably and is basically a giant rolling couch. It got me from Phoenix to Leadville in one straight shot without issue. It has decent clearance though I did high center it in Cochise. I doubt anyone will ever rob me. The only downside is that the only person who loves it more than me is Johnny Law

The black one is my baby

Smoother than a Rolls

Brad Vanor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Loooove my Jeep Grand Cherokee. She's an oldie (1998), but a dang warrior! My only complain is that the gas mileage is dreadful. Still, I look forward to buying a new one in a year or two. To each his own.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Looking for new car, suggestions?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started