Mountain Project Logo

What is the best way to get weak?

Laine Christman · · Reno, NV · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 1,305

I couldn't tell ya cause I wouldn't know.

Tombo · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 410

My favorite would have to be falling in love, rejection, copious eating and drinking in a darkened room for lets say 6 months. That should result in 25 - 30 lbs which of course transfered mostly from muscle mass. It's not as fun as I make it sound but you will get weak!

If not that I'd agree with Rob.c just get old (now that's fun).

Carl Sherven · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 210
David Sahalie wrote:Meth.
Nonsense. Let's see you fight off this many snakes.

youtube.com/watch?v=zDd3Kdz…
chuffnugget · · Bolder, CO · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

Holy shit, I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Thanks.

Steve Bond · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 45

Excellent. Great ideas so far...keep 'em coming. I can't see my bones through my skin yet so I know there's more muscle to be evicted. Meth. Will try tomorrow.

Brian Snider · · NorCal · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 732

Get a new couch, a flat screen tv and premium cable all at once. That will give you a bad back and make you weak at the same time.

Tzilla Rapdrilla · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 955

The I had a kid excuse only works when they're babies. Once they start climbing you have to be the mentor/teacher, then they start getting good so you have to resurrect your training to stay ahead, then they start to add a letter grade every month and you get nervous and really focus, then they take over your projects, and then you just try to stay somewhere in their rear view mirror to save face. The good part of it all is that they are a reflection on you and it gives you a really good reason to stay in the game when you get older.

GRK · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 6,205

1+ for the 40 of old E...
that and not trying?

this may be the best question ever asked on MP?

stay weak my friends.

TJJ · · dayton, Ohio · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 0

drop out of college and get a job (second shift and weekends) in a none climbing area that you have never been to before move in with your girlfriend that refuses to walk any incline of any kind and continues to take any extra money you may have saved up for climbing expenses to buy a house that sits aside of a hill then loose your job and start climbing again, after you tear your rotator cuff go back to school. not much but its a start.

Tom-onator · · trollfreesociety · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 790

^^^
Baby steps TJJ, baby steps!
Don't go tryin to get super weak all at once!
Hope you heal up soon so you can get back on track to reach your weakness goals.

sanz · · Pisgah Forest, NC · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 210

You're asking the wrong question. 90% of climbers (those who don't climb 5.6 or below) are not even ready for specialized strength reduction training yet.

Until you are consistently flailing on 5.6, forget about getting weak and work on losing technique. The losses you will make by worsening your technique are huge compared to what you can lose by getting weak at this point.

Really perfecting the basics like careless footwork, bending your arms as much as possible, and always keeping your hips parallel to the wall can make a huge difference.

Once your technique has deteriorated to the point that you no longer feel confident on 5.7, you'll have the base to ease into targeted strength reduction training.

At that point, I suggest a periodized regimen of fast food repeaters, movie 4x4s for couch endurance, and short bursts of complete inactivity for minimum recruitment.

Good luck and climb soft!

Jon Zucco · · Denver, CO · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 245
sanz wrote:You're asking the wrong question. 90% of climbers (those who don't climb 5.6 or below) are not even ready for specialized strength reduction training yet. Until you are consistently flailing on 5.6, forget about getting weak and work on losing technique. The losses you will make by worsening your technique are huge compared to what you can lose by getting weak at this point. Really perfecting the basics like careless footwork, bending your arms as much as possible, and always keeping your hips parallel to the wall can make a huge difference. Once your technique has deteriorated to the point that you no longer feel confident on 5.7, you'll have the base to ease into targeted strength reduction training. At that point, I suggest a periodized regimen of fast food repeaters, movie 4x4s for couch endurance, and short bursts of complete inactivity for minimum recruitment. Good luck and climb soft!
+1
chuffnugget · · Bolder, CO · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

Get an account on supertopo.

Those guys are legends in their own minds and climb 5.10 on a good day.

BruceH · · New Harmony, UT · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 45

Infuse yourself with some of my DNA (i.e., gene anti-therapy).

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926
David Sahalie wrote:Get an account on supertopo. Those guys are legends in their own minds and climb 5.10 on a good day.
So sad...so true.
Sam Latone · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 45

spend more time on MP than you do training for climbing and climbing

Old Timer · · North Andover MA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 27,785

Turning 53

daven · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

Really demoralized to see how successful others have been with the have a kid plan. I have found disconcerting muscle buildup from holding the little lump. I've also found that caring for my child makes my wife appreciative to where she sends me to the crag or gym to "go have fun".
All of this has been compounded by an unnerving ability to climb "off the couch" within a few letter grades of my hardest ever sends. I feel a lot of my un-training is being thrown off by never having gotten that good. Thus i don't have as far to weaken as some of you champs.
Start to wonder if i should train, get good and then start serious weakening so as to see better overall losses?

5.samadhi Süñyātá · · asheville · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 40
daven wrote:Really demoralized to see how successful others have been with the have a kid plan. I have found disconcerting muscle buildup from holding the little lump. I've also found that caring for my child makes my wife appreciative to where she sends me to the crag or gym to "go have fun". All of this has been compounded by an unnerving ability to climb "off the couch" within a few letter grades of my hardest ever sends. I feel a lot of my un-training is being thrown off by never having gotten that good. Thus i don't have as far to weaken as some of you champs. Start to wonder if i should train, get good and then start serious weakening so as to see better overall losses?
every once in awhile if you are feeling too strong it is good to go through a short period (1-2 weeks) of intense training. This will "reset" your body and refresh your weakness when you return to non-training.
Alan Brock · · Cleveland, TN · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 35

You all are forgetting genetics. Some people will only be able to climb 5.10 or above no matter how hard they train to get weak. Also being ignored is the mental aspect of weakness. You've got to get some serious fear in your life. I suggest reading about bad falls and watching videos of gear pulling. If you get your mind right, you should be weak in no time.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "What is the best way to get weak?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.