|
|
Ben Brotelho
·
Mar 18, 2013
·
Albany, NY
· Joined May 2011
· Points: 515
willeslinger wrote:I eat a massive breakfast (if leaving from home, an omelette, if leaving from a bevy, then oatmeal, a cliff bar and a bagel) and then I the route I chaw on grizzly winter green long cut tobacco at the belays, it controls my appetite quite well. I like your style
|
|
|
Jim Titt
·
Mar 18, 2013
·
Germany
· Joined Nov 2009
· Points: 490
Oh dear, I just take a bread roll (cheese or salami/ham). I´ve a suspicion this isn´t "A multitasking (or multiple multitasking) food, one that gives energy, isn't greasy, maybe has electrolytes (salt, sugar, etc), protein and anything else ideal for top performance." I´ve always got 20lbs of fat in reserve though in case the going gets tough.
|
|
|
Ian Stewart
·
Mar 18, 2013
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined May 2010
· Points: 155
John Wilder wrote:Big breakfast, a couple chewy bars in my pockets for the climb, big dinner. I hate carrying packs, so a quart of water and a couple of bars is all i'm willing to carry most of the time. Climb fast! +1
|
|
|
Greg D
·
Mar 18, 2013
·
Here
· Joined Apr 2006
· Points: 908
I eat skinny little sport climbers for lunch. Then, I floss with scrawny little french sport climbers.
|
|
|
Nick Zmyewski
·
Mar 18, 2013
·
Newark, DE
· Joined Jun 2011
· Points: 235
cheddar cheese jalapeno bread if its a long easy climb :) stop somewhere and enjoy the views
|
|
|
Charles Kinbote
·
Mar 18, 2013
·
Brooklyn, NY
· Joined Jan 2012
· Points: 5
|
|
|
TK421
·
Mar 18, 2013
·
longmont, co
· Joined Jun 2009
· Points: 0
cheese group. nut group. salami group. chocolate group and usually some fruit gushers. for real.
|
|
|
WillP
·
Mar 18, 2013
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Feb 2013
· Points: 10
todd w wrote: This is not rocket science, it's lunch. Amen.
|
|
|
Dantheman Stepan
·
Mar 18, 2013
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Jun 2012
· Points: 0
Peanut butter and banana sandwich. Sticks with you for hours, good protein, simple and complex carbs.
|
|
|
EricSchmidt
·
Mar 18, 2013
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Feb 2013
· Points: 0
WillP wrote: Amen. Can you also teach me how to tie my shoes and wipe my ass on a multipitch climb?
|
|
|
Jtorres
·
Mar 19, 2013
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Feb 2012
· Points: 115
Here's the thing.. It isn't rocket science: Breakfast- eat a damn good breakfast Lunch- whatever you pack won't go bad in 5 hrs (trust me) so bring whatever the hell you want. I normally do a supermarket sandwhich and chips. Descent-pack a snack that's simple an quick like a snickers bar or chocolate almonds if you're fancy I usually bring Gatorade and water. No need for goo and all this fancy shiat. Gatorade gets it done
|
|
|
William Sonoma
·
Mar 19, 2013
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Dec 2012
· Points: 3,550
I've asked this question because I LOVE climbing and I love to hear what others do. Why? Because I'm not perfect and others have good ideas; I also have a boring job and so I take time to learn while being paid. there are literally billions of different combinations of reasonably edible "stuff" and what I eat matters, especially when climbing at my limit pitch after pitch. Its not that I can't figure out what foods to bring (I've been climbing multipitch for some time now and have taken food with me every time) its I'm trying to perfect (perfect relative to me) my system. Widdling my "way" down to efficient perfection. Just like I used to climb with a double set of cams and now I do not. I learned, adapted, grew, evolved into carrying less; I'm perfecting my entire controllable experience. I appreciate your posts and have taken away solid food ideas. Thanks all!
|
|
|
WillP
·
Mar 19, 2013
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Feb 2013
· Points: 10
EricSchmidt wrote: Can you also teach me how to tie my shoes and wipe my ass on a multipitch climb? I dunno man, are you a quick learner? 'Cause I get impatient pretty fast.
|
|
|
brat .
·
Mar 19, 2013
·
Salt Lake City, UT
· Joined Nov 2007
· Points: 81
Grade I climb: nothing Grade II climb: bar in the pocket Grade III climb: apple, hunk of cheese, bar Grade IV climb: apple, cheese, hummus/avocado/tortilla sandwich, a couple bars, maybe some electrolyte powder for the water This is just an approximation. All involve eating a good breakfast before.
|
|
|
Laronicus Lehmanold
·
Oct 14, 2016
·
Salt Lake, UT
· Joined Feb 2014
· Points: 285
Jtorres wrote:Here's the thing.. It isn't rocket science Many of you have posted this, and you are right it is not rocket science, it is nutritional science. (; A climber diet should include the following: ~60% carbs ~20% protein ~20% fat All of your vitamins, minerals, etc.- should be included in those. The carbs and protein are best to get in the morning (and night before for lots of pitches), since the protein breaks down more slowly, and the carbs will convert to glucose in the body for more immediate energy. Nuts and dried berries are the best on the wall because they are lightweight and nutrient rich. Cashews, almonds, wasabi peas, dried cranberries, and de-shelled pistachios are some of my favorites (you want something you enjoy, not something that is just nutrient rich). It is also wise to bring some kind of instant energy for those times when you start to feel sluggish. 75-80% cocoa (dark chocolate) is my go to. I know people who keep swedish fish, or some other kind of gummy candy in their pockets, so they can recharge while on belay. Energy and food bars are okay, but I prefer real food any day. Bars seem to taste weird, and coat my stomach with something that makes me feel something not as intense as being queasy, but is not good. So I usually bring a wrap for lunch. My go to is chicken, rice, with some veggies in a spinach wrap (i usually make a mix with lima beans, or broccoli&cauliflower in my crockpot). Many people bring cheese. The nutritional contents of which are appropriate for the flash master, but I tend to feel bloated after consuming any dairy product, so I rarely consume dairy. It may be the type of fat in it, but I am not sure. Anyway, eat cheese if you want to. Here are some links: mindbodygreen.com/0-15464/1… livestrong.com/article/2523… jerrysnuthouse.com/best-hig… authoritynutrition.com/12-h… Now I should get back to work. Cheers!
|
|
|
Jonathan Awerbuch
·
Oct 14, 2016
·
Boulder, Colorado
· Joined Nov 2013
· Points: 41
|
|
|
Logan Schiff
·
Oct 15, 2016
·
Brooklyn, NY
· Joined Jun 2012
· Points: 60
Gatorade, bars, nuts, fruit and sometimes hardboiled eggs.
|